Walking Corpses keeping names

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
TeaIntoxicated

Walking Corpses keeping names

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

My proposal is for walking corpses created by killing enemy units with a weapon that has Plague special to keep names they had before dying.
It's a purely cosmetic change, but it would make undead feel to be "unit-stealing" faction to a greater extent.
Note that recruited Walking Corpses should still be nameless, due to being awakened en-masse by the leader or even his minions with no care about who they used to be due to lack of care or of origin clearness of the bodies.
Straff

Re: Walking Corpses keeping names

Post by Straff »

I like that idea.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It's a good idea, but I would have the name change a little. If the unit was named Eronak, I would have the corpse named "Eronak's Corpse." (I did this in The Founding of Borstep, though not with plague exactly.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

beetlenaut wrote: November 8th, 2020, 10:05 am It's a good idea, but I would have the name change a little. If the unit was named Eronak, I would have the corpse named "Eronak's Corpse." (I did this in The Founding of Borstep, though not with plague exactly.)
The problem with this solution is variety of languages - different conjugation and word for "corpse" - should the Eronak I killed and raised be named "Eronak's Corpse" or "Trup Eronaka"? What with multiplayer, where one name is seen the same by all players, where they might be from different nations with English to be found only in chat? What with games, where everyone is of the same nationality and they use native language instead of English?
If we implemented it plainly, we would avoid this issue.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

TeaIntoxicated wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:01 pm should the Eronak I killed and raised be named "Eronak's Corpse" or "Trup Eronaka"?
Both of course. Unit names are already translated, and each player sees the correct name for their own language. The translators would just have another phrase to translate. This is a known, common issue, and it can be handled in the code just fine.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

beetlenaut wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:46 pm Both of course. Unit names are already translated, and each player sees the correct name for their own language. The translators would just have another phrase to translate. This is a known, common issue, and it can be handled in the code just fine.
:shock:
Good to know.
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

Though...
Conjugation is still going to cause problems when it comes to languages other than English.
For example, we, Poles, will conjugate the ones that end with "a", and it may be changed to "y" or "i", depending on the name, but we won't conjugate ones ending with things ending on other letters than "a" (typically foreign ones). And I guess other Slavic languages might be similar cases. Either Polish(or in general Slavic) programmers did a big job with code that processes our complex grammar correctly, or we might still have a problem.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Languages that add stuff at the end of the name are not a problem, the indeed tricky to solve cases are languages that change phonetics at the end of the word depending on what they add at the end. (Hungarian example: name: Mária, but "with Mária" is "Máriával". I expect that there are languages that do this when attaching the 's in "Xy's corpse".
These languages could try to rephrase if possible (like in English, the 's can be avoided by saying "Corpse of Xy" instead"), maybe this is possible. If not, then a last resort: "Xy (corpse)". This gets rid of the genitive form altogether. And an even beyond that last resort could be just keeping the name for that very specific language - I don't think that it would be a game-breaking discrepancy either.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Well, for example how would the Corpse of Arius automatically be named ? Arius's corpse ? Arius' corpse ?
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

WhiteWolf wrote: November 9th, 2020, 8:14 am ...then a last resort: "Xy (corpse)". This gets rid of the genitive form altogether.
I like that idea: e.g., "Lisar (corpse)."

Or even the other way around: "Corpse (Lisar)."
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

lhybrideur wrote: November 9th, 2020, 2:28 pm Well, for example how would the Corpse of Arius automatically be named ? Arius's corpse ? Arius' corpse ?
Arius's Corpse is the correct English. Using Arius' means that there is more than one Ariu, and the corpse belongs to both of them.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

I still don't really understand why to point out in the name that it's a corpse.
I mean, it's pretty obvious when the unit type is Walking Corpse or Soulless.
We may also add "undead" as adjective in front of the name, and in case of Polish at least the only change is going to be "nieumarły" for males and "nieumarła" for females. That seems to be simpler to code.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Or maybe something like "The late Lisar" ?
Is this correct English ?
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

lhybrideur wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:46 pm Or maybe something like "The late Lisar" ?
I'm not native speaker, so I'm not sure, but I can tell you that I wouldn't remotely understand it as you meant it if it wasn't in this thread.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

lhybrideur wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:46 pm Or maybe something like "The late Lisar" ?
Yes, that's correct. It's a respectful and gentle way to say that a person is dead, and is often used in a situation where the listener might not know about the death yet. That makes it a little humorous in this context.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide