Addition of Rockbound Earthy Cave into mainline Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
MoonyDragon

Addition of Rockbound Earthy Cave into mainline Wesnoth

Post by MoonyDragon »

In mainline, almost every cave terrain type has a corresponding tile in an earthy style. This is true of:
Cave Floor (Uu) and Earthy Cave Floor (Uue),
Regular Chasm (Qxu) and Earthy Chasm (Qxe), and
Natural Cave Wall (Xu) and Natural Earthy Cave Wall (Xue).

Similarly, other terrains can be exchanged to give a cave a more "earthy" style and feeling:
Cave Path (Ur) and Regular Dirt (Re),
Mine Wall (Xuc) and Straight Mine Wall (Xom), and
Rusty Gate (^Pr*) and Wooden Door (^Pw*).

However, there exists one major exception to this general rule, which is the Rockbound Cave (Uh). Considering that cave hills are an important asset in underground maps, this makes an earthy-style cave rather hard to design. But this issue grows even stranger when one considers that we already have the needed terrain images, which are used in UMC's such as IftU. Lack of artists is the usual Great Filter in content creation, as is the approval of developers.

But in this case, we have both the graphics and the precedent of including (Uue), (Qxe) and (Xue) into mainline. Naturally, I am curious why nobody has, afaik, voiced this obvious idea:

Let's add (Uhe) from IftU into mainline.
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Addition of Rockbound Earthy Cave into mainline Wesnoth

Post by Iris »

To be entirely honest, the only reason I didn't push for this myself is that I don't think I could replicate the exact palette that earthy underground terrains in mainline use.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm "color deficient" (not totally colorblind, thankfully), and I'm not going to analyze the RGB values of each pixel, so I haven't jumped on this either. But if it's a noticeable gap, I guess it's worth trying to address.

How does this blended hex image look? The little pointy peaks probably need a manual touch-up, but if the rest of it looks OK, this recolor should be pretty easy to propagate.
Uhe-demo.png
Uhe-demo.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Unfortunately, I think these colors are getting too close to where you have the most trouble, because they don't look at all similar to me.

The overall impression of the earthy floor is a yellowish-brown, but that color is made by a dozen different hues. I looked at doing a recolor of the stony hills, but to match, each shade would need to be shifted by a different amount in a different direction, and the number of colors would have to be increased by quite a bit as well. There must be tools that do this kind of "palette shifting" on an RGB image, but I don't know what they would be called. Do we know who did recoloring for the original earthen floor? Maybe they could give us a hint.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ah well, never mind then. Color shifting shouldn't be that hard for someone who can see it. I'm pretty sure the existing "earthy" images are just color-shifted.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.