Technology Era

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
idanwin

Technology Era

Post by idanwin »

Any ideas for a technology era?

My ideas:
-A catapult unit branch. (Maybe: Mangonel->Onager?)
-A ballista unit branch. (Maybe: Ballista->Cannon->Advanced Cannon?)
-A gun unit branch. (Any ideas?)
-A tank unit branch (something like a battering ram with a cannon inside). (If Leonardo da Vinci is reading this: Sorry for using your idea)
-A scientist unit branch (technical wizards)

And other advanced war machines that fit into a medieval era.
Last edited by idanwin on February 22nd, 2008, 9:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

No.

PM me when you're ready to actually explain what you're talking about, and I'll unlock the thread.

EDIT: Unlocked. Let's see how it goes.
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

Is it possible to make a suicide attack?

If yes; maybe a medieval terrorist would fit in a technology era?
(A unit with a barrel of gunpowder?)

I was wondering what sounds best:
-Heavy Cannon
-Improved Cannon
-Advanced Cannon
Attachments
techera1.png
techera1.png (9.24 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
Last edited by idanwin on February 22nd, 2008, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Suicide attack: yes, shouldn't be too hard to do in WML.

However, the idea of a unit blowing up a huge barrel of gunpowder, whilst interesting, seems like it would fit better into a regular Wesnoth era than any kind of "technology era". I'd concentrate on one or the other to start with. If you want a "technology era", you'll need some clear idea of what's going to make this different from the default era.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Ballista -> Trebuchet -> Cannon

The living bomb really did not come around until... well... the last few decades, I think...

Good luck...
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

I though gunpowder was big nono in Wesnoth?
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

gotrek860 wrote:I though gunpowder was big nono in Wesnoth?
Thunderstick? I think with dwarfs its aceptable, maybe even loyalists, but any other faction im guessing would be frowned upon
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

yes but the thunderstick, is not gunpowder, t's some magic powder that is rare and unmakeable to others, it was explained in one of the other threads... they don't seem to want everybody swnging pistols about.
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Well, one of the things I quietly pushed for was that the thunderers don't use gunpowder; they use "an explosive powder", yes, but of chief importance, they use something that even if the secret of it escaped, would be impossible for anyone else to manufacture on grounds of scarcity. If it was gunpowder, as soon as the secret of it got out, it would spread across the world like fire on an oil slick. It's a world with an unstable equilibrium point; a delicate balance. The dwarves having gunpowder, proper, as a secret would be a secret that couldn't last. So I insinuated that yes, they do have what are basically muskets, and yes, they're driven by the same basic technique, but there's a key fact about it that makes it unstealable by other races
It's right there.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ah i see, well then why not make the living bomb, a dwarf unit with this special powder?
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

would dwarfs squander their life away in a bomb? It doesn't seem very fitting...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

gotrek860 wrote:would dwarfs squander their life away in a bomb? It doesn't seem very fitting...
Give them a few tankards of dwarvish ale, and im sure they will be up for anything :P
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Suicidal dwarves doesn't seem too far out of the ordinary. The ulfserkers, for instance, are already semi-suicidal units. And in Warhammer there are the Troll Slayers, whose ambition is to die in a suicidal battle.

I'm not too convinced by these advancement trees though. In regular Wesnoth, higher-level units are better because they are either better fighter or have mastered difficult skills (like white mages and healing). The thought of an experienced catapultist suddenly switching to a cannon whilst all of the other units carry of using catapults doesn't really make sense, even by Wesnoth's lax standards of realism.

You could potentially have an event where all units are upgraded at once (like in Age of Empires). But, for a first project, I'd recommend starting with the default or extended ear and working some units into that.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Suicidal dwarves doesn't seem too far out of the ordinary. The ulfserkers, for instance, are already semi-suicidal units. And in Warhammer there are the Troll Slayers, whose ambition is to die in a suicidal battle.
There is the notion of dying in combatant which is as important as the death itself. blowing your self up is entirely different. Dwarfs aren't individualist type they don't sacrifice themselves for the greater good like that... it's not very noble to blow yourself up to bits, when you could die wielding an axe.
Just my point of view...you can go ahead and make it, I'll just not play it, not that it matters at all of course.[/quote]
vetgirig

Post by vetgirig »

Why not make them all into gnomes ? Gnomes are know for their strange machines.

Then it would fit with the other factions.

Archer:

gnome slinger - gnome balista - gnome catapult
Throws rocks impact
6-2 9-2 12-2

Fighter:
gnome worker - gnome engineer
shovel (blade)
4-4 6-4

Mage
gnome apprentice - gnome scientist - gnome elder
4-5 arcane 6-5 arcance 8-5 arcane

gnome kamakazi
bomb(fire) marksman
20-1

There once was a gnome kamakazi that managed to arm a bomb and run away to tell about and since then all gnome kamakazi wants to do that. Sadly they do not know that that was because the bomb misfired, so now they all are out to try and repeat the feat. But since they arm the bomb close to the target they are always hit with the same force as their victim.