.ogg files with Windows 10 version 1903

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnombat

.ogg files with Windows 10 version 1903

Post by gnombat »

I'm posting this in Off-Topic because it doesn't actually seem to affect BfW, but I'm curious if anyone here has updated to Windows 10 1903, and if so, have you noticed any issues with .ogg files?

I updated Windows from 1809 to 1903 yesterday and the new version seems to be very flaky (it will sometimes hang for several minutes) when listing, playing, or deleting .ogg files. This even affects some applications like VLC.

I found a few scattered reports of this issue - it seems like only some people are affected by it (but it's not clear exactly who or why):
Again, this doesn't actually appear to affect BfW itself, but if you need to work with .ogg files directly (e.g., if you are developing a UMC add-on which contains .ogg files), you might want to avoid updating to version 1903.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Re: .ogg files with Windows 10 version 1903

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I had the problem as well. But .ogg files are not important to me so I shrugged and move on to other things. One site says it's solved, btw. Don't know and not really interested enough to find out.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
gnombat

Re: .ogg files with Windows 10 version 1903

Post by gnombat »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:24 pm I had the problem as well. But .ogg files are not important to me so I shrugged and move on to other things. One site says it's solved, btw. Don't know and not really interested enough to find out.
Thanks for the report. I noticed that https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... _playback/ says that the "issue is now solved" with the latest version of VLC, but ... I've tried the latest version of VLC, and I'm still seeing .ogg issues, and there are people in the comments who are still seeing .ogg issues, so I don't think that VLC is really the issue. (I've even tried uninstalling VLC, and Windows still has problems just listing or deleting .ogg files in File Explorer.)