What other turn-based strategy games do you remember?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shevegen

What other turn-based strategy games do you remember?

Post by shevegen »

Being probably one of the ... older accounts here (gosh I am getting old), I used
to play quite some old DOS games.

I thought perhaps others did too (the old folks).

Anyone of these turn-based variants that you liked?

------

I go with my list first:

(1) Battle Isle

I liked them all.

The graphics of course are quite outdated compared to today:

http://image.dosgamesarchive.com/screen ... TTLE05.png

But I think the big part was more the gameplay. I liked the game
mechanics... you lose some of your units... you can repair or
refull (had to refill), get some XP and so forth.

I had fond memories.

Oddly enough I even liked Battle Isle III and the animations. I felt
it was a bit like a science fiction strategy game.

Have a look:

jump to somewhere in the middle or so.

I liked the rotating parts of the "3D" models too. :D

I also liked Warlords, again all of them.

None of these are extremely similar to wesnoth but the underlying engine
should not be that far off (I guess one could even do 3D animations of
some models... but it's not so important compared to the gameplay as-is).

Hmm. I think these were the top ones for me but I also played more.

Anyone remember the old fantasy game that was a hybrid game? I do not remember
the name... it was based on DnD where you were like a mage user and had some army
units of ... 30 each or so... dwarves, undead, elves... there were castles, and the game
map had conquerable-tiles. You also could do magic where enemy troops would be
deducted... if only I could remember the name.... what I liked here was the hybrid gameplay
where you combined different elements in the same game.

Another sorta turn-based strategy game I liked was Civil War. It was interesting because
you had different army leaders and an army that had morale, ammunition, different
weapons, movement types etc... it was quite tactical because you had to plan how
much a particular unit could still fight before it would disband. That was quite interesting.

It was like this:

https://www.myabandonware.com/media/scr ... eral_3.jpg

Hmm... I am forgetting a few more I think ...

Best ones were Battle Isle and Warlords though. It's unfortunate that they don't have
genres like these today - civilization managed to have newer iterations and in some
ways it is a tiny bit like a turn-based game variant too...
enclave

Re: What other turn-based strategy games do you remember?

Post by enclave »

im not the old folk, i just started playing civilization at 6 years old lol
not sure what you mean about magic and units, maybe heroes of might and magic, maybe kings bounty.. maybe something else :)
warlords were great indeed..
I liked imperialism, it was very unique, maybe some day ill recreate it in wesnoth..
conquest of the new world was something cool too..
fantasy general is something that every strategy gamer should try (there is even more or less modern version of it, but i forgot the name, maybe can be found in list of similar games somewhere on ag.ru)
Lords of the Realm 2 was cool
ah lol, jagged alliance and similar types of games were cool... like wages of war, and even old fallout was similar.. pity they dont make these much now..
there was more unique games but i dont remember names.. one games was like a mix/hybrid of turn based management, real time wars and shooter type quests..

and from the real time games, there was an amazing game called "jurassic war", i think it was like a revolution of it's time which nobody knew about lol.. it still would be amazing game. very unique version of age of empires or warcraft :) where units gain experience as they fight/kill.

I thought i never played Battle Isle until i saw the screenshots, then i recognized it.. not had idea how it was called.
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

[quote=shevegen post_id=633176 time=1536872499 user_id=528]
Being probably one of the ... older accounts here (gosh I am getting old), I used
to play quite some old DOS games.

I thought perhaps others did too (the old folks).

Anyone of these turn-based variants that you liked?
[/quote]

Oh yes, I remember the good old DOS classics. I think I have them all... :) Let's see there's Tigers on the Prowl, Panthers in the Shadows from HPS. Serious wargames those. Panzer General which is one of the inspirations for BfW to be sure. Steel Panthers is another. Civ, MOO, and definitely Master of Magic which is another inspiration for BfW. Well I can't really list all of them, I've been wargaming since the 70's....

Warlords is one I played a few times, main prob was I didn't know the rules so I never got into it. Battle Isle is one I never did play though! I do think I did get it at one point but it's languishing on a disc somewhere...
01/01/01
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I played a lot of those games, Star General and Fantasy General were not bad.
Master Of Magic, good game, I tried also a remake of it, but it was nothing special.
Warlords, I liked it a lot, I also played a clone and a remake that was even better called Blood Wars. (More and cooler units and they were even animated, plus it had an included map editor like the one included later in Warlords Deluxe, but less complicated).
Chaoz and Lords Of Chaos, good summoning games.
Celtic Legends, spettacular turn based fantasy game for the time.
X-Com, Lsser Squad, Paladin, (and sequels of these games) and Final Chapter, the first and last ones of these squad based tactics games were the best in my opinion.
Battle Isle, I have good memories about it, and played an open source game that looked and feelt like it, but just better and superior in almost any aspect called Advanced Strategic Command (not to be confused with Advanced Wars, of wich btw I used to play a PC clone made with Allegro).
Then I enjoied, Conquered Kingdoms (Nice game, with Drakes!).
Conquest (Cool war game for up to 4 players like Commabd HQ but turn based, you control city production, infantry, tanks, air carriers, warships, submarines, airplanes and a piwerfull headquartier unit, the fact of solo ir multiplayer, adjustable rules, random or custom maps, deep but easy gameplay made this one of my favourite games.
Leylines, from Crystal Shard company is a fully configurable turn based high fantasy game with all the canonic races plus other original ones, it has city management for production and spell research, I found it interresting and the full version was freely downloadable from the official site for a lot of time, now for some reason it is no more, a shame.
Fantasy Battlefields is an another free turn based game with the expected races it include also commanders and heroes, as the title suggests, it focuses on the battles, you have to consider various factors, like race, terrain, action points and so on, funny once you get the grip of it.
Master Of Orion was good, but I prefer games more focused on tactics, so I prefered space games like Starfleet:The war begins and the excellent remake Starfleet Deluxe, or STCS, Starship Tactical Simulator and a free game called Fleet tactical starship cimbat simulator.
I liked and enjoyed really a lot Land Of Legends developed by Tiny Hero games a turn based fanrasy game that had a lot of similarities with BFW, just even simplier, "the power of small numbers" as some developer stated, later I also had fun with a standalone map editor that was released some time after.

As for the game that you described, well it sounds a lot like Sword Of Aragon to me, a strategy, rpg hybrid with tactical battles.
I absolutely loved that game!
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Though not only a turn-based strategy series (it has real time tactical battles and a turn based strategic map), the Total War games can be played as turn based strategy if you autoresolve the battles, and I've had a lot of fun with those.

Not at all like Wesnoth, though, which should be called a turn-based tactical game, not a turn-based strategic game.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

I liked Master of Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic 1, 2, and 3.
http://wogralddev.blogspot.com/

Wograld - our graphics requirements are less demanding.
mzs_47

Post by mzs_47 »

A RISK based game developed in Java, TripleA triplea-game.org
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

"Freelords" used to be a thing from 2000-2007 - until Wesnoth's greater popularity apparently strangled it :(
Some ancient files can still be found at sourceforge (version 0.3.8 is the latest), but other than that... Rest In Peace.
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Byron

Post by Byron »

I used to play the games of an Indie Developer who called himself The Silicon Commander. I must have played a thousand games of his Proliferation 1.0, a Risk like game. WinWarII 3.0 was another of my favorites. There's another Indie Developer called Sillysoft Games with a Risk Clone he calls LuxDelux. You didn't have to play on the default World Map from Risk, there were hundreds of user made maps to play with. I pretty much stopped playing it when I found Battle of Wesnoth.

But, I truly miss Proliferation.
JanusKane

Post by JanusKane »

For Mobile, my favorite is the Age of Strategy series, there is also a Fantasy and Galaxy edition with different themes and units etc...

It's a free turn based tactical game with persistent rewards and new units and cosmetics to earn through in-game activities. The Multi-player is a little rough wound the edges, but its highly customizable and has years of community behind it.

There are enough unlockable units that your army is likely different from another players, like a skill tree style progression. I really love it, thought id share the name since I never see it mentioned on forums. I prefer supporting smaller development teams, and this developer has updated through the years faithfully.