Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RLennon

Re: Books discussion

Post by RLennon »

Dugi wrote:
I love the Drizzt books as well. Have you read 'The Cleric Quintet' also by Salvatore?
I have not read so far. I stopped reading after Thousands of Orcs, because the last part translated and accessible in my country is Servant of the Shard, and reading the other parts from the screen of my computer or mobile was too annoying (I plan to get an Amazon Kindle to read the rest).
And I have not came across Wheel of Time, some books are hard to get in countries where english isn't an official language.
I actually read TCQ before any of the Drizzt books. Both series of books cross paths. Do you remember a scene where Drizzt and company go to a church and meet a priest who appeared old, but young of heart by the name of Cadderly? The events of TCQ happened before this meeting.

I would highly recommend the Wheel of Time (WoT) if you can find it. The first book is called 'The Eye of the World'. This is a massive series (14 books plus a prequel / each book is between 800-1,100 pages), but very engrossing.

Rob Lennon
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I actually read TCQ before any of the Drizzt books. Both series of books cross paths. Do you remember a scene where Drizzt and company go to a church and meet a priest who appeared old, but young of heart by the name of Cadderly? The events of TCQ happened before this meeting.
I know, I wanted to know what it was.

Also reading that that Wheel of Time was translated, so it is probably available in bookshops here, so thanks for the tip.
RLennon

Post by RLennon »

Dugi wrote:
I know, I wanted to know what it was.

Also reading that that Wheel of Time was translated, so it is probably available in bookshops here, so thanks for the tip.
TCQ is a five book series (duh, I know). The first book 'Canticle' features Cadderly as a bright eye, young initiate trying to find his place in life. If you like Salavatore, I would highly recommend TCQ.

Glad I pulled another soul into Wheel of Time! It is a heavy read, but well worth the effort.

Rob
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Starting Aldous Huxley's Brave New World today. I've been meaning to read it for quite some time, but just never quite got around to it.
Marche

Post by Marche »

I got about halfway through Brave New World at the start of the semester, but I lost interest in the characters. Wonderfully constructed world, though, I think.

I've been reading more by Orson Scott Card recently. Finished Pathfinder yesterday and reread Ender's Game last week. Some of my favourite books there.
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I've been reading Cell. I haven't cried at a book since
Harry Potter spoilers:
, but Cell managed it.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

I just finished Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (1922). It takes place in 1920, in a fictional mid-western city in America, (during prohibition, the roaring twenties, etc). It's basically about this opportunistic realtor/businessman struggling to find meaning in his life. You might think you'd hate this guy, but he's actually an enjoyable character. However, this book is not for everybody, since it has no real plot (similar to Catcher in the Rye, I guess. But is that reason enough to discredit any book?). But anyway, it's a good character study and there is decent dialogue throughout.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Marche wrote:I got about halfway through Brave New World at the start of the semester, but I lost interest in the characters. Wonderfully constructed world, though, I think.

I've been reading more by Orson Scott Card recently. Finished Pathfinder yesterday and reread Ender's Game last week. Some of my favourite books there.
You should finish it great read.

Metro was my last read. At least the one aside from my normal ratio.
Interesting as well though you should read the originals from Dimitry Glukhovsky the Offpsrings from the other writers are not up to the original.
All of them take part in a post apocalyptic world after the nuclear winter. Quite depressing. :whistle:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The book that I recently finished reading is Bram Stoker's Dracula. It was quite thrilling, but the epilogue was a disappointment since I expected it to be similar to the many adaptions based on the book such as the unlikely group barging their way to the Count's Castle and eradicating him.

I have downloaded George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. Might start with reading A Song of Fire and Ice next week.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

I guess there is no need to mention Tolkien :) But Asimov's Foundation is really great.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Durin_the_great wrote:I guess there is no need to mention Tolkien :) But Asimov's Foundation is really great.
i agree with you, both books are amazing.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Does anyone of you know 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen' by Steven Erikson? Those are amazing books too. :D
Morath

Post by Morath »

Here's a site for sharing or finding books: http://oes.name/ feel free to use it.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

P0ndNewt wrote: August 30th, 2019, 6:52 pm Is the story actually any good? Do you care about the characters and what happens? Is it fun? Is the ending fulfilling and worth the time commitment?
For all of the above, YES.
cookie

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by cookie »

JW wrote: December 30th, 2008, 10:12 pm
turin wrote:A pretty basic question. What are you reading right now?
Wesnoth forums?
In particular the threads that span back to 2011-2013. Ah the sense of nostalgia...

However, the novel I am currently enjoying is Animal Farm by George Orwell. Strangely when I first picked up this book as a young teenager, I thought it was boring.

Might have a closer look here at more recommendations for what novel may be next. :lol:
Bye says the cookie.