3 directories of core Wesnoth game data

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denispir

3 directories of core Wesnoth game data

Post by denispir »

Hello, on my system, there are 3 such dirs (in parens: path by me):
  • The one we can find from main menu via the {i} icon (/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.14).
  • One together with UMC game data (/home/me/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/wesnoth-1.14.5)
  • Finally one at the top of my home/ (/home/me/wesnoth-1.14.5)
All our full of data (not just skeleton dir structures). I found the second one some time ago by chance, when scripting some Lua/WML, and lately discovered the third one. I guess that, originally at least, only the first is/was supposed to exist. What do you think?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: 3 directories of core Wesnoth game data

Post by Soliton »

The first is the game data directory, second is the user data directory and third seems like something you created.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

For me, that third directory would be here I originally downloaded and built the executable.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
denispir

Post by denispir »

Soliton wrote: November 9th, 2019, 12:51 pm The first is the game data directory, second is the user data directory and third seems like something you created.
I know about game & user daya directories. My question was about whether it is normal that the user data directory holds all the mainline game data, exactly like (copied form) the core game directory? I thought the user directory should hold only UMC game data.

About the third one, I have no idea, but certainly I did not copy all that there (for what reason?). If I'd need regular acces to mainline game code (for instance to learn how special things are coded), then I'd just make a bookmark in my file manager ;-). PS: I am close to 100% sure because this dir has the name of the latest stable version for my system (1.14.5), to which I only upgraded recently (because the system update often crashes): I have a very bad, but if I had done that during the last few days, I would still remember. [And Why would I add the version name?)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

No, that's not normal. But...

Why does your system update often crash? If your Linux distro's core application is unstable and Wesnoth has problems for you that aren't being reported by anyone else then I think the diagnosis has to start with the assumption that it's probably something wrong with your system.
denispir

Post by denispir »

octalot wrote: November 10th, 2019, 11:13 am No, that's not normal. But...

Why does your system update often crash? If your Linux distro's core application is unstable and Wesnoth has problems for you that aren't being reported by anyone else then I think the diagnosis has to start with the assumption that it's probably something wrong with your system.
It's Lubuntu (a light version of Ubuntu). I like it, but half of the big version updates crash (and there are ramping, repetitive system bugs). Since the only remedy is to save all my data, and I'm pretty lazy and hate to just wait, I usually update late ;-). I did it last time 3 weeks ago, reason why I'm rather sure I did not create those folder copies myself. Yet another mystery.
But I cannot imagine why/how a system bug would produce "phantom" copies of Wesnoth data.