Campaign Global "Options"

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denispir

Campaign Global "Options"

Post by denispir »

Hello,

I discovered with great pleasure the new possibility of introducing user choices (so-called "options") directly in _main, for global campaign choices. However, I have 2 issues with the way it is done now:

First, we are imposed a title and a text, which are:
* title: "Configure options"
* text: "Configure settings for the selected custom modification."
Not only is it pretty obscure, but these words have no chance to match our actual usage. There should instead be keys for both. (They certainly don't fit my case: select a "trial mode" and indicate which scenario to jump to.)

Second, a choice's "descriptions" is only a floating tooltip when the mouse hover over. It should instead just be written just above the choice.

If ever you once revamp the feature "option", then think at renaming it to more proper "choice" ;-).

EDIT: suppressed a question of which I have found the answer myself
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Campaign Global "Options"

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

denispir wrote: November 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm Not only is it pretty obscure, but these words have no chance to match our actual usage.
I disagree - I feel that this title and description will match literally any possible option. Certainly your two examples seem to me to fit with the title.
denispir wrote: November 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm Second, a choice's "descriptions" is only a floating tooltip when the mouse hover over. It should instead just be written just above the choice.
Okay, this is something that wouldn't actually be all that hard to change, probably…
denispir wrote: November 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm If ever you once revamp the feature "option", then think at renaming it to more proper "choice" ;-).
Uhh… but they're the same thing? I don't see the problem here?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I disagree with your disagreement, "Configure settings for the selected custom modification." Sounds like you had enabled [modification]s which is not the case here.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Hmm, okay, you have a point there. Still, the title "Configure Options" remains universally applicable.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

denispir wrote: November 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm Second, a choice's "descriptions" is only a floating tooltip when the mouse hover over. It should instead just be written just above the choice.
well there is the name attribute that is shown next to the widget and the description for long explanations that is only shown on tooltip i think the current way is fine.

EDIT:
anyone with a better name instead of "Configure settings for the selected custom modification" or should be just remove it without replacement?

EDIT2:
actually i agree that even the title sounds too technical, in particular after i saw the german translation, i'd probalby just write "More options" or just "options" or "Configure game" although none of these sound optimal to me.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
denispir

Post by denispir »

I don't understand why there should be a general title and general description. In my view, this should just be left to the game author. In fact, it just like ordinary choices in story parts, where there is no title/text imposed by the game engine, except that here it is a campaign-level choice. What do you think?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I don't think so; a general description may not make much sense, I suppose, but the title tells you exactly what it is: additional options for your campaign and/or any modifications you've selected. It's not supposed to be a story thing (though of course you're free to include story-related options there too).
denispir

Post by denispir »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 28th, 2019, 1:42 pm I don't think so; a general description may not make much sense, I suppose, but the title tells you exactly what it is: additional options for your campaign and/or any modifications you've selected. It's not supposed to be a story thing (though of course you're free to include story-related options there too).
I don't understand your obstination about imposed standard titles or descriptions. And I did not mean that these choices are about story, but that work like choices ("options") that we can insert in [story], and have the same purpose, simply they allow choices to bear for the global campaign.

See below 2 illustrations (real cases of mine) and explain what a general title would bring (eg "Make a choice:" ?).

Code: Select all

==========================================================
    H E L P   M O D E
----------------------------------------------------------
You may receive help messages about special game features.
Do you want this help?
    O Yes
    O No
==========================================================

=============================================
    T R I A L   M O D E
---------------------------------------------
You may jump directly to a scenario to try it
(and get decent troops to play).
    O Play normally
    O Jump to scenario
      number [ 1 ]
=============================================
And what about translation? (and culture-related perspectives)

Now I will stop arguing about this point: you're a Wesnoth developper, you have the power; I won't study tons of cpp to do a trivial simplification myself, e basta!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Just to be clear, that dialog can gather options from multiple sources. For example, you could enable three modifications, and each of them contributes different options. (Presumably the campaign itself can also contribute options; in MP, the era and presumably the scenario can contribute options, though that dialog isn't used in MP; the options go directly in MP Create.) So basically, it doesn't make sense for any single addon to have control over the title of the entire dialog. A sort of category title, sure, maybe. But not the title of the whole dialog.