Speaking units, recommended

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jami

Post by Jami »

vonHalenbach wrote:
Jami wrote: For the most part I agree with you. But I think that short words in different languages (for instance, there is no reason that a loyalist archer can't say "qui?" when clicked (qui is a version of "what" in latin). Nor do I see any problem with using "some" English words. Wesnoth is quite large, so why not have a version of English?
How can i explain this like i think it should be? In my opinion it would be best and fair for all gamers if all factions of Wesnoth speak the same language, which is not translatable into any other language of the world. Something like wesnothian (or elfish). As i sayd before, if some words were in english there would come some gamer who ask like you " why not in German? or in polish? or one of 30 other languages?" This would open the door to many half made and bad spoken translations, because i think not every translator is a good voice-actor. If wesnothian is something like baby babble, which has no real translation but can be understood by all gamers because they hear the intonation of the words. The intonation is something which can be understood by many different people of different heritage.

Did you have the experience of a hollyday in a land where you could not understand their language by the spoken word, but could see fairly well because of the intonation and movement of hands and feet what words may be spoken? Languages are not totally different. So, when you say "yes" or "aye" maybe my grandmother would be able to understand this as "Ja" which means the same. In French this is "oui" and in spanish "si". So it would be best imho to use something like "ak" or "aky" or "qui" in elfish or wesnothian.
Hynn, I understand perfectly now. (thinks back to playing Animal Crossing. :D) The only problem with it is that we would need to come up with a word list for anybody who would try to voice act.. and get them to actually say it correctly.

On a totally unrelated note, many voice actors does NOT need to know what they are saying to say a phrase correctly. Rather, they need to know how it is supposed to sound. A school choir does not need to know what they are singing "Missa pro defunctis" (The Requiem)
Lacotemale

Post by Lacotemale »

Is this idea dead or what or are ye actually organising something?? If we are doing this I volenteer to do some of the voices. I wish I could do the elves because they are my fav but I have a really deep voice so that wouldnt really work well! :)
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

The problem is, that we don't really know what we want, nor how to do it. There were many different ideas, or better phrased "wishes", but no real solution.

Some were proposing that a translation of all texts to quenya or latin should be done an then spoken by different professional speakers.

Others simply want the dialog texts in english language be spoken by professional speakers.

Another party just wants only certain actions like activation or an idle sound of a unit in not understandable babble, some with a fitting animation to it.

We should first see if the ideas are really doable in an acceptable timeframe. We have many translations, that need completition and is more important than adding a new open wound to BfW.
Lacotemale

Post by Lacotemale »

I think that if more people got involved it could be done within 3 months. I think that a phrase list should be made out and people should be assigned to certain races depending on their voice. Also these people should record their phrases in all other languages so the voice and sound is the same but diff language. Of course the diff language phrases will have to be supplied by people who know english as well as their native language.
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Here is a short list of self made Wesnothian language. It is very short, with just the basic and most important words. Even if we use quenya for the elves we can need another language for the drwarfes or the humans (or both).

I wanted to sound it funny to the listener, so maybe this is not usable for the orcs.
Schnatzippuu! = go forwards, attack!
Tolu! = defend!
Okkalar = OKay, alright
Ouio = yes
Naba = no
Wati? = what?
Katta = map
Pikipsi = hooray!
fuubar = damn!
holdan = traitor
ranu = empire
minda = way

Arumi pa Wesnoth! = Freedom for Wesnoth!
Rakum po holdanesh! = Kill the traitors!
Pi kelamar. = I am feeling ill.
Pi okkalar. = I am alright.
Wati po ranu Wesnoth? = What is with the wesnothian empire?
Ranu Wesnoth po okkalar. = The westnothian empire is alright.
Tolu po ranu Wesnoth! = Defend the wesnothian empire!
Pi minda pa Tirigaz. = I am on the way to Tirigaz.

Delfador only should use latin for a shout before he releases the lightning weapon on his enemy. It should sound full of might, anger and threatening. This would be a real cool special feature. :)
Last edited by vonHalenbach on August 29th, 2007, 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Strom

Post by Strom »

In my opinion the idea is good but I think all the speaking should be in English because who will understand something when the units will speak gulu, gelu, quenya, kolam, tralala, wartomanto etc. Such responses will be rather annoying.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

who will understand english, apart from people in english speaking countries ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Strom

Post by Strom »

I'm not from english speaking country, but I think I have bigger chance to understand "to the battle" instead of "grudak kanto rundak". I think English in these days is some kind of universal language and i guess more peaople will understand it rather than Quenya. You think if it will be in English so it should be in Polish, French... too. If it will be in Quenya or sth like that, this problem dissapears. But as I say English is universal language. What will you understand "fight" or "gelu" ?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Strom wrote:I'm not from english speaking country, but I think I have bigger chance to understand "to the battle" instead of "grudak kanto rundak". I think English in these days is some kind of universal language and i guess more peaople will understand it rather than Quenya. You think if it will be in English so it should be in Polish, French... too. If it will be in Quenya or sth like that, this problem dissapears. But as I say English is universal language. What will you understand "fight" or "gelu" ?
Why do you need to understand it?

If it's merely because you find "not understanding it" to be mildly annoying, then you really need to grow up. Partly because many people will have the completely opposite sentiment, and will find it fascinating rather than annoying.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

For me it's fascinating, and even helps me in learning spoken foreign languages, actually. :?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

vonHalenbach wrote:Here is a short list of self made Wesnothian language. It is very short, with just the basic and most important words. Even if we use quenya for the elves we can need another language for the drwarfes or the humans (or both).

I wanted to sound it funny to the listener, so maybe this is not usable for the orcs.
Schnatzippuu! = go forwards, attack!
Tolu! = defend!
Okkalar = OKay, alright
Ouio = yes
Naba = no
Wati? = what?
Katta = map

Delfador only should use latin for a shout before he releases the lightning weapon on his enemy. It should sound full of might, anger and threatening. This would be a real cool special feature. :)
IMHO, a new language will make the game funnier and can also complete the "all world of wesnoth"; i mean the History, the Legend and now the Language. The game will have his own language!!! Voices sounds are very missing in the game.

Plus ,VonHalenbach created some good words with "knowned roots" as english, french, german(ect...) words. This make the language understandable and original!

Thanks!
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

hiro hito wrote: IMHO, a new language will make the game funnier and can also complete the "all world of wesnoth"; i mean the History, the Legend and now the Language. The game will have his own language!!! Voices sounds are very missing in the game.

Plus ,VonHalenbach created some good words with "knowned roots" as english, french, german(ect...) words. This make the language understandable and original!

Thanks!
Thank you for the praise! :D :D :D
I can't sleep this night and need not walking, because i can fly. :)
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I made some more words in wesnothian language, and can even build complete sentences now.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothianLanguage

What is the way to go? What do we want to do with the spoken languages?

At first i want to have a complete sentence in Latin for Delfador. (For his flash magic) A chant in Latin about 5 to 8 words.

Here are some sample sentences from the latin translation of httt:

msgid "Only the foolish oppose me!"
msgstr "Tantum insipientes mihi adversantur!"

msgid "Only a fool would dare to attack me!"
msgstr "Insipiens tantum me oppugnare audat!"

msgid "I am Delfador the Great. Prepare to die!"
msgstr "Delfador Magnus sum. Para te ad mortem!"

The next thing to do would be the implementation of the activation sounds for the dwarfes and humans.

For the orcs i can do a couple of grunts. I am german :D :lol: so i am the best for this job.

Ideas, suggestions?
Martian

Lojban

Post by Martian »

Why not use Lojban. It's a constructed language designed to be culturally neutral. It has a smooth and flowing sound. Take a look at the wikipedia article.

An example:

.i do mi’esku ma - What is your command?
.i ko morsi - Die!
.i ko damba - Fight!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i would note that as wesnothian names sound very welsh-like, maybe so should the language?

but yeah i agree that using english would make it sound way too lame.