Eastern Invasion: What to do with the Holy Amulet

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

Eastern Invasion: What to do with the Holy Amulet

Post by Glowing Fish »

So, I have been trying Eastern Invasion again, for the third time.

Of course, every other time I had followed the "conventional wisdom", and had my Spearman grab the holy amulet (although it used to be holy water), hoping to get a Royal Guard with a 20-4 Holy Attack.

But, this time, I decide to let a Mage grab it. It might seem silly, since a Mage already can be promoted to a Mage of Light, and even the other advancements have fire attacks that are effective enough against Undead.

But with the Red Mage line, you could eventually get a Great Mage, which has a 16-4 Magical attack. This will end up doing 32-4 Holy Damage, magical. It will also have a 9-2 Holy Melee attack. That is strong enough to kill a Death Blade! And unlike a White Mage or MoL, the Great Mage will have no penalty during darkness or during caves...

I think I might also try to get a Silver Mage with Holy Damage. That unit would also be very resistent to the cold damage of the Dark Adept line.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Sly

Re: Eastern Invasion: What to do with the Holy Amulet

Post by Sly »

Glowing Fish wrote:I think I might also try to get a Silver Mage with Holy Damage. That unit would also be very resistent to the cold damage of the Dark Adept line.
Even without it, Silver mages are the best lich-killers ... and with it ... :twisted:

(I strongly recomand you to do it, he will be anywhere in the battle 8) )
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I have an Arch-Mage and a Silver Mage with the Holy right now. And a Cavalier, too.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Whenever I playtest EI, I usually give at least one of them to a mage and at least one to a dragoon...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sly

Post by Sly »

turin wrote:Whenever I playtest EI, I usually give at least one of them to a mage and at least one to a dragoon...
I hadn't thought about giving it to a drogoon ... seems rather interesting :wink:

I gave it to a future Royal Guard
unsung

Post by unsung »

I rember I gave mine to a shock trooper, who leveld up to a mauler quickly. Kills liches real fast.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Glowing Fish wrote:But with the Red Mage line, you could eventually get a Great Mage, which has a 16-4 Magical attack. This will end up doing 32-4 Holy Damage, magical. It will also have a 9-2 Holy Melee attack. That is strong enough to kill a Death Blade! And unlike a White Mage or MoL, the Great Mage will have no penalty during darkness or during caves...
Heh heh. If you have three amuletized Great Mages, any undead fight will be a piece of cake.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
toms

Post by toms »

I played it the I-don´t-know-the-number-st time, and gave them all to horse units.
1 Grand Knight
1 Cavalier
And I always give one to Gweddry, because he´s so weak against undead.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
wsitumn

Post by wsitumn »

i let my leader take the amulet, ended up having both strong melee and ranged attack. i can easily rush into a bunch of skeletons and they dont attack me at all =)
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Glowing Fish wrote: But, this time, I decide to let a Mage grab it.
I thought of this too one time.
"Holy Red Mage" sounds okay, but I called her a "Pink Mage" :)
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

wsitumn wrote:i let my leader take the amulet, ended up having both strong melee and ranged attack. i can easily rush into a bunch of skeletons and they dont attack me at all =)
Psychological warfare, anyone?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
player

Post by player »

mage of light is also not affected in caves,,it illuminates:)

and it also make others(on his radius) unaffected with poison cause it has healing,,,,,and unaffected on time of the day,,,,

also it has impact melee,,,weakness of skels,,,make it holy and it would be a lot stronger
-jew
Sly

Post by Sly »

player wrote:mage of light is also not affected in caves,,it illuminates:)

and it also make others(on his radius) unaffected with poison cause it has healing,,,,,and unaffected on time of the day,,,,

also it has impact melee,,,weakness of skels,,,make it holy and it would be a lot stronger
I don't understand you ... either you forget a "not" (wouldn't be a lot stronger) either you missed that he already has Holy damage on his ranged attack and that gaining Holy on his melee would only add 50 % damage :?

A sword based unit like Royal Guard would gain at least 150% damage :P
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Sly wrote:
Glowing Fish wrote:I think I might also try to get a Silver Mage with Holy Damage. That unit would also be very resistent to the cold damage of the Dark Adept line.
Even without it, Silver mages are the best lich-killers ... and with it ... :twisted:

(I strongly recomand you to do it, he will be anywhere in the battle 8) )
That's what I did/am doing, and I found that the silver mage didn't really need it... In fact it almst made him worse cuz he wasn't as good against live units like Orcs Elves and Dwarves...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It sems like a really bad idea to me to give a holy attack to a unit that already has good anti-undead attacks, like fire or impact (although a holy iron mauler could be interesting.) Much more effective is giving it to a Royal Guard or Dragoon - then, you get the increased damage that comes with a common attack type (pierce and blade units usually do more damage, since more units resist them, IIRC), and the increased damage that comes with the enemy being -100% resistant to you.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm