Heindals Minigames II: Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

holypaladin

Re: Heindals Minigames II: Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer

Post by holypaladin »

Why corpses in latest version? :(
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Corpses?
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Undead miners
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Do you find that they are unbalanced? They are just an option and you are not forced to use them.
Would you like to have real dwarvish miners? If so, I can change that.

It was more or less a reference to the game "Graveyard Keeper".
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Started this a while back, continuing it today. Found a typo in dialogue where it says save instead of safe. Not sure where exactly it was. Also maybe a bug where if you mine a wall adjacent to one of those ore spots it disappears! Not a game breaker since there's lots of ore but a bug is a bug. Also you can break the unbreakable walls by digging in diggable walls next to them, probably related to that as well.

Also it's odd that when amla'ing you get a choice of constitution (+15% hp) and fighter (+25% hp). Huh? Ah OK, each level is different and they happened to coincide. Still...

Also found that a lot of the icon images are conflicting with core. Some are copies (which means you could delete them, we all have core ; ) but some like bag and breastplate2 are actually different and (hmm did this change in 1.16 I forgot) may not give the image you wanted. Not terrible either since both look good. : ) But hey it's a bug (?) so I report it.

Some ai directives seem to be spewing errors too about aspects and such.

Oh and it's a nice game.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Atreides,

the behavior of the mining is indeed intended. Maybe you could call it lazy coding. But I wanted the player to find ways to dig through some passages and found ways to break into place by looking around. Also intended is that you can fill gaps that way. I was aware that ore can disappear by digging and I think, that is the price the player has to pay for this.

The Amla "Figther (+25% hp)" should only be available once and unlocks other abilities hidden behind this options (Fighter II, Fighter III) which allows a unique playstyle. You can however upgrade your constitution without limits. If not that is a bug, but I'm quite sure I tested all the amla pathes.

As the core game was written in around 24 hours, I think there are a lot of these smaller mistakes, such as duplicated images. However that is a mistake I mostly ignore in all my games / add-ons.

The ai mistakes, is probably something that was changed in 1.16. maybe before. I did not find the sense to recheck them, as they don't seem to cause any more troubles.

I'm glad you liked the game.

thanks and have fun

Heindal
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Heindal wrote: October 18th, 2023, 4:16 pm The ai mistakes, is probably something that was changed in 1.16. maybe before. I did not find the sense to recheck them, as they don't seem to cause any more troubles.
Ran into them again, actually it's just a simple typo.

agression -> aggression fixes it. : )

Probably worth fixing since the zombies just stand there and don't attack.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Lol :oops: :P , will check. Thanks.
groggyfroggy

Post by groggyfroggy »

Hello Forum, Heindal!

Thank you so much for this add-on! I enjoyed it very much.

One simple question: How do you "win"?

Improvement questions: How do I know my stockpile of things - it would be nice to know how many iron I have when selling it to the smith, etc. (always a row with inventory). Clearer descriptions of what actions produces what (the egg upgrades, how much things cost is unclear, ...).

Regards from a drunken dwarf with 135 HP and 125 in rocklobber-slow-impact-damage
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi groggyfroggy,

I'm glad you like and enjoyed the game and thank you for nice word and suggestions.
One simple question: How do you "win"?
It is an endless game, once you get bored. There is much too discover and usually there are many "biomes" or better points of interest that can spawn in each dungeon type. There is one "Main Quest", which is simply the quest-line with your father, curing your mother. Usually you just need to earn enough to be that.

Maybe I could add some kind of end-game goal, such as making a wish:

get a golden statue, become king, build a tavern or something like that.
I will think of something and add a better visibility to the costs and resources.

Best regards

Heindal
groggyfroggy

Post by groggyfroggy »

Thank you for the response.

I have now played it "a bit". 14k in gold, 200+ iron, all the mithril I need, relics and artifacts.

So, end-game suggestions:

When you have unlocked all the dungeons from the King King, maybe you could "replace him", challenge him, or something like that. Become the heir? Or choose to interact with one of the other figures that you can communicate with. Become the master smith, egg farmer =), buy your father a nice workshop and prosper, maybe take over the main trading post to become the richest merchant ever. All triggering the End Game rollscreen (and also explicitly stating this). Just ideas.

And the Undead Miner activation is in my humble opinion not dwarvish. I dislike the dark sourceres :]. Maybe an eagle, bat, a dwarven (living) miner with AMLA? Carrying more ore? x2? A dwarven fighter that can advance? (that can die!) And adding one with each purchase at the mage? Getting an initial little army.

Also, I tried to hoard loyal ghosts in the sand dungeon, but only one is possible to "train" to level 3 and recall in other dungeons... I guess that is intentional.

On the gameplay - I think I advanced very quickly to become a super-fighter so that no monster dares to attack me; once that was achievd, the dungeons is more of a walk-through.

All in all - thank you very much for 2 days of super-fun with DDD!

Cheers from the ice-dungeon Sweden. VLLC
Grogg

(cheat code puzzels me....)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hej Hej,
When you have unlocked all the dungeons from the King King, maybe you could "replace him", challenge him, or something like that. Become the heir? Or choose to interact with one of the other figures that you can communicate with. Become the master smith, egg farmer =), buy your father a nice workshop and prosper, maybe take over the main trading post to become the richest merchant ever. All triggering the End Game rollscreen (and also explicitly stating this). Just ideas.
I was thinking of three different endings with some statistics inside (how much ore did you mine etc.) and of course I will keep it open ended, maybe even allowing to unlock a different ending, but harder to get. I was also thinking about a "statue of scaling", which allows you to increase the difficulty, making enemies more dangerous and harder to kill.

And the Undead Miner activation is in my humble opinion not dwarvish. I dislike the dark sourceres :]. Maybe an eagle, bat, a dwarven (living) miner with AMLA? Carrying more ore? x2? A dwarven fighter that can advance? (that can die!) And adding one with each purchase at the mage? Getting an initial little army.
Yeah, I know. I will probably replace it with something else. It was kind of to show that Joanna is somewhat evil and pretty powerful, maybe preparing a story to fight her. I will add an option to higher normal people instead of zombies. There will be a tavern that might offer some other options as well, such as hiring heroes or exchanging goods.
Also, I tried to hoard loyal ghosts in the sand dungeon, but only one is possible to "train" to level 3 and recall in other dungeons... I guess that is intentional.
Yeah, the previous ghost is killed, once you summon a new one. It can be exploited for a short time, but as the id of the ghost is unique, all units except one will be deleted, just in case you use a recall trick.
On the gameplay - I think I advanced very quickly to become a super-fighter so that no monster dares to attack me; once that was achievd, the dungeons is more of a walk-through.
Yeah, that will be changed in the next version. They will relentlessly attack you in the next version. There was a typo inside the code.

Cheers from the ice-dungeon Sweden. VLLC
Grogg
Cool. Cheers from the exotic south with its 17 degrees. The wind was really warm today on the bike.

(cheat code puzzels me....)
I think I explained this part, in my advent calendar a while ago.
groggyfroggy

Post by groggyfroggy »

Love it! All of it!
groggyfroggy

Post by groggyfroggy »

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qV ... heYogscast
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

groggyfroggy wrote: March 13th, 2024, 8:16 am I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qV ... heYogscast
Thanks, that video was fun. It is heartening to see folk music is still being made in this day and age. (Dwarves are a folk? OK maybe pseudo-folk music is better... ; )