Artwork Needed for Heir to the Throne (Spoilers!)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet »

Thanks for the compliments! You're right about the nose; I still am not quite happy with it. I will tweak his nose :)

I think my mistake, going into this, was making it 1920x1440 resolution. All these pixels to use, and I hate making them go to waste... but it's hard to keep an eye on the big picture (pun) when zoomed in so that his eyebrow fills the screen. I think if I do any more renderings like this, I will have to stick to 640x480 or less, or else I'm going to get lost in detail again.

And yeah, the wrinkles should be darker. I think the whole center of his face needs to be darkened quite a bit, to be more in shadow.
Mofy

Post by Mofy »

UM hi,, nice stuff, nice game.

Thought I would give a go at styling up the images, I can crank em out quite a bit faster than a render, but admitedly they don't look as good. perhaps as an "until the renders are finished solution"

the top one is a bit more finished, I am debateing on the paint effect (wether to use it or pull it, it takes loads of time but looks nifty when finished). This will look much better on the images with a back ground, i think....

sorry if these are posted wrong, (don't shoot!) I will do it right next time honest.

Jaron
scott

Post by scott »

I half-like the red background. I was just thinking that the staff should be going through his body (these look like Pickslide images).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Mofy

Post by Mofy »

(these look like Pickslide images).

:) thats just cause, they are, I just threw some texture in the bg.

/me goes of to put the staff in the middleof the poor man...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The white border looks... odd. Could it perhaps be darkened or removed?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mofy

Post by Mofy »

ok adressed both issues a bit, the white border is out , + made the background look much more natural by addintg some cardboard textuers

note: should I be attaching all images?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Mofy wrote:made the background look much more natural by addintg some cardboard textuers
It looks very like tree bark now.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

It looks pretty good. What does it look like if you perspective-skew the background so it looks like he's standing on the tree bark? Since there's a nice shadow it might improve things. Then again, it might not.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ZombieEater

Post by ZombieEater »

I'd say the colors (red, yellow, orange) symbolize strife and conflict very well. I'd stick with them.
It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet »

These look pretty cool. I definitely agree that some quicker method of cranking out story shots would be good. I'll try slapping some color on them to see if that is an improvement.

I've just ordered myself a 12x9-inch Aiptek drawing tablet (a gift from my wife, at my suggestion, as a reward for giving into her wishes for a set of Legolas' fighting knives :) ) so GIMPping will, I hope, become a lot more fun and productive for me.
Mofy

Post by Mofy »

hehe understood, you can have my wacom when you pry it out of my cold dead hands. (Even then I will haunt the <<explitive>> out of you)

ON am more game oriented theme started work on the king image looks better than the last few, honest.

if anyone wants the pieces of this (layers) , or the others I can post them in your prefered format

note: I am still trying to figure out, what is the final rez are these going at? / should I be working on larger files?