Small idea for campaigns

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Casual User

Small idea for campaigns

Post by Casual User »

What I would like to propose is less an idea than a convention for campaign writers.

There are few things more annoying than doing a swift leader rush just to find out that there's no bonus for the scenario in question.

Having surprises from time to time is fun, but in most scenarios, wether or not you'll get the bonus can be told without ruining any surprises.

So here's my suggestion:

In the opening scenario dialogue with the objectives, it should be marked if there is to be a bonus for finishing the scenario.

In case there is more than one possible ending, some with bonus some without, it should be the 'standard' one which is revealed.

Have at it, boys.
halleck

Post by halleck »

Yup. :|
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
JW

Post by JW »

Oh....you mean...like this....?
Attachments
bonus.JPG
bonus.JPG (56.47 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I think he also means telling if there's an early finish bonus or not, regardless of if you win or lose when turns run out.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Good idea... I would do it, if I wanted to go through hundreds of .cfg files and add the data. :(
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ranek

Post by ranek »

I don't know if this is true or not so correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you always get a bonus unless it is a survive until end of turns or there is no turn limit?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Scenario designers/writers have just been lazy and haven't written the objectives properly, so it's probably unlikely that they'll be interested in fixing them now. But anyway, here's an even better suggestion: don't use gold carryover in the first place. :P
ranek wrote:I don't know if this is true or not so correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you always get a bonus unless it is a survive until end of turns or there is no turn limit?
The scenario designer decides when the player gets a bonus and when he doesn't.
ranek

Post by ranek »

oh, it just seems like I've gotten them in all but the ones without limits and the ones that are survive until the end of turns
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:Scenario designers/writers have just been lazy and haven't written the objectives properly, so it's probably unlikely that they'll be interested in fixing them now. But anyway, here's an even better suggestion: don't use gold carryover in the first place. :P
:roll:
I agree that reducing the value of gold carryover is a good idea (IMHO it should be more like 30% of gold, added to the default gold not replacing it). But it shouldn't be irrelevant.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
toms

Post by toms »

Evil idea:

Code: Select all

{RANDOM yes,no}
[endlevel]
result=victory
bonus=$random
[/endlevel]
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

toms wrote:Evil idea:

Code: Select all

{RANDOM yes,no}
[endlevel]
result=victory
bonus=$random
[/endlevel]
Too evil, for someone may never get it or rarely, while someone may get it alot.

Anyway, its a good idea... hmmmm, I forgot about bonuses.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

zookeeper wrote:But anyway, here's an even better suggestion: don't use gold carryover in the first place. :P
If there was no gold carryover, then the optimal way to play would be to milk every scenario until the last turn, levelling up as many units as possible.

Heck....it's already quite close to this being the optimal way to play in too many situations. We don't want to push it to being like this even more!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming