Numerous 1.1.3 problems

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Numerous 1.1.3 problems

Post by Zhukov »

I'm really not sure if these are bugs or just odious 'features.' For the moment I shall treat them as bugs.

1. Massive performance hit, everything has slowed down noticably. I suppose this could be something to do with my computer. However seeing as my Mac runs stuff like Halo and CoD (not to mention previous versions of BfW) without any fuss I find this hard to swallow.

2. Whenever a unit takes damage, it often insists on flashing white. Similar thing happens when a unit is healed. It doesn't seem to effect gameplay, but it looks really awful.

3. Animation glitches across the board. Prettymuch everything 'stutters' and effect haloes rarely appear (yes, they are turned on). Miscellaneous animation frames are failing to show up, when combined with the performance hit, this looks kinda horrible.

Anyone else getting this stuff?
It basically makes 1.1.3 a downgrade of 1.1.2a :cry:.

If it helps, I use a iMac G5, 1.8 GHz, 512 MB of memory, 128 MB of video memory and running OSX 10.4.6
Any help appreciated.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Zhukov wrote:2. Whenever a unit takes damage, it often insists on flashing white. Similar thing happens when a unit is healed. It doesn't seem to effect gameplay, but it looks really awful.
I think it was intentional.

Anyway 1.1.3 is bugged like hell. :(
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

1. I haven't seen a significant performance decrease from previous version, but since i always use accelerated mode i am not sure it is a worthy opinion :D Anyway i tried switching it off and to be honest animations seemed a bit slow..

2. I think too it was intentional, and if it wasn't, i like it anyway :P

3. Animations worked ok though i haven't tried on all units..

I have to say MP is a lot more buggy than 1.1.2a, and the new "switch-host" function doesn't work properly :roll:

Running on a PowerMac 4x 2,5 GHz, 1,5 Gb Ram, 256 Mb Video Card, os X 10.4.6
Kristjan

Post by Kristjan »

Have you tried to compile with optimization; it should speed up the game a little bit.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

I got 1.1.3 with special dlls to make it work.
1.1.3 seem to be much slower than 1.1.2, especially during the AI turn. Same problems on my gfs laptop. We both have winXP.
frickenmoron

Post by frickenmoron »

so far i noticed 2 performance eaters on windows:

a) faulty sound mixer. if your wesnoth produces error sounds when units get hit etc (ogg sounds played) it will cause a HUGE cpu useage spike

b) Unit standing animations. Even tough they are not animated yet they basicaly "count" as having an animation and are rendered that way.

H U G E performance eater, this feature is most questionable.

With 15 units on screen and around 50-60 units on the whole map my cpu useage was idling around 40-45% (HTTT first map after 2 turns)

With those animations disabled the cpu useage is around 2-3% when nothing is moved.

Also the AI is really slow at deciding now ;)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

ug standing animations are never a ood idea. Of have seen other games go down that path :(

any yes zhukiv I am more or less getting same problems. Also when i have tried to start the UTBS camp I get errors and wesnoth crashes with or without the dll fixes.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Pater-Brown

Re: Numerous 1.1.3 problems

Post by Pater-Brown »

Yes, sometimes there are fake-units after scrolling. And it is very slow, but this is, because I have an older Mac.
JW

Post by JW »

frickenmoron wrote:a) faulty sound mixer. if your wesnoth produces error sounds when units get hit etc (ogg sounds played) it will cause a HUGE cpu useage spike
This is the most annoying thing about the new version. Scratching noises plus 1/10th of the speed.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Tried playing UTBS on accelerated and VERY slow, units would hang on to the focus after finished moving. Other campaigns were quicker, my hypothesis is if there is lots of WML, units spend a lot of time polling for events... don't really know, but far slower than previous versions.
jg

Post by jg »

Yeah, I noticed all that too. I think 2 isn't a bug, but I still think this is massively too slow. It stutters like crazy! :(

But we can't blame them (the devs), it is not there job to make everything perfect... :) Thinking how much they have done till now... and even unpayed!

jg
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

1,2,3 same as Zhukov
The sound mixer problem ( solution - use the one from 1.1.2a )
Else, the skip replay button is bugged for me - if I turn it on, all the moves in the game, not just in the replay will be without animation, that is without the posibility for me to see them ( I can hear the attack sounds though )
The scenario with the statues is bugged
I cant see some people's messages son the screen, nor the labes they set
Slow glitched one of the units in the hotseat game that I had with my sister yesterday ( I am not sure whether I should report that as a bug, cause it has hapened only once )
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

My biggest problem is that it is ugly as hell. I couldnt even play long enough to find any of the other bugs. The other scheme fits much better.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

'ugly as hell'? please elaborate, maybe with some mockup PNGs of your proposed improvements.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Anyar wrote:My biggest problem is that it is ugly as hell. I couldnt even play long enough to find any of the other bugs. The other scheme fits much better.
Huh? What are you talking about?