new trait: "Healthy"?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

new trait: "Healthy"?

Post by Eleazar »

Down in the open ideas forum, along with a lot of noise was what seem to me to be a good trait idea: "healthy"...here.
Here's my take on the best version of it:
"Healthy" units regain 1-3 (whatever balances best) lost HP each turn. Healthy would stack with Healing/Curing but the 8HP (+2 resting) healing cap would remain in effect.* Races with regeneration, and Undead would not be eligible for this trait. I would suggest it be available for most other races, but that's a more technical ballance issue.

* I mean what's the point of having a healing cap if there are tons of exceptions, as people keep proposing. Either the cap is a bad idea or it should be strictly followed.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

The healing cap is that a unit can't be magically operated on by more than one unit. I have never heard of it being described as a cap on the amount of hitpoints a unit can receive. We do have the cap on the amount of hitpoints one can dispense.

What you're proposing is scalable regeneration (which we have).

Your link notwithstanding, the old healthy idea was that the unit could always rest even when it moved or attacked. It was going to be a dwarf trait or ability. It's simple to understand and fits with an existing set of rules. Even if healthy units get 1 HP when move+resting and 2 HP when resting, it is still convenient that the trait alters resting instead of adding to it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:The healing cap is that a unit can't be magically operated on by more than one unit. I have never heard of it being described as a cap on the amount of hitpoints a unit can receive. We do have the cap on the amount of hitpoints one can dispense
It seems pretty obvious that there are caps on receiving and dispensing-- otherwise why would a unit's presense in a village block him from receiving healing from an adjacent magical healer?

Also the idea of only 1 magic healer per patient does seem to be how it works, that concept is not reflected in the manual or the UI. You can surround a single wounded unit with 6 healer/curers and they will all do the healing animation. I'd previously assumed that each unit was contributing towards the total (up to a cap)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

Eleazar wrote:It seems pretty obvious that there are caps on receiving and dispensing-- otherwise why would a unit's presense in a village block him from receiving healing from an adjacent magical healer?
Yeah, forgot about that.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

IMHO the idea is good. I think 2HP per turn is a good balance, that would mean:
  • 6HP if near a healer.
    10HP if on village or near curer.
    4HP if resting.
    But a 10HP overall cap.
Sounds alright. (It's nice to know the Ideas Forum produced something of quality :))
Alks

Post by Alks »

Nice clarification, Zhukov. Yes, that sounds reasonable. Yet, I would like to see this implemented(if implemented) with possibility to alter the HP rate according to the situation and specific unit.