Startup problem on Mac.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Arimund

Startup problem on Mac.

Post by Arimund »

HI!
I just discovered W and I'd love to play, but the program won't start.
When I start, the icon shows in the "dock", but after a few seconds it stops without comment.

I'm using a Mac G3 with OS 10.2.

Greatful for any help!
scott

Post by scott »

Which version of 10.2 and which version of the game are you using? The Jaguar support has been patchy sometimes.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Arimund

Wesnoth

Post by Arimund »

I'm using Wesnoth 0.9.2 and the OS X is exaclty 10.2.

Thanx for answering.
scott

Post by scott »

It's supposed to work with 10.2.8, and a previous version (but later than 0.9.2) was reported to have worked with 10.2.1, but you might be out of luck.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Check the Console application and report wesnoth output lines. Maybe we could guess what's happen.

Also, I've build an image who may work on 10.2 as it has been compiled for but nobody has tried it on yet. You may download it (42MB) from
ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/ ... _0.9.6.dmg
and test if it fix something.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

scott wrote:It's supposed to work with 10.2.8, and a previous version (but later than 0.9.2) was reported to have worked with 10.2.1, but you might be out of luck.
The version of 0.9.6 on the downloads page:

http://www.wesnoth.org/downloads

is compiled with the 10.2.8SDK so should work (theoretically with 10.2.8). Unfortunately I have not had a machine running 10.2.8 to try it on for about a year. I have tried to keep 10.2.8 compatibility...

It would be good if you could give it a shot and see what happens. If there are problems then the console output (as lwa suggested) would be useful.

If not, you can always download the older versions from Sourceforge directly:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=89495

Will show all the files.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Sithrandel wrote:http://www.wesnoth.org/downloads

is compiled with the 10.2.8SDK so should work (theoretically with 10.2.8). Unfortunately I have not had a machine running 10.2.8 to try it on for about a year. I have tried to keep 10.2.8
If it is build with the project I found into the image, the SDK isn't used as far I know. It sound like 10.2 SDK doesn't handle C++, so the project can't be compiled with. Furthermore, the variables setting the compatibility (SDKROOT and MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET) aren't passed thru the kind of target beeing in use, so the compiler don't known about it. You have to set them manualy or use another kind of target.

As I don't know how you generate the config.h files, if you just get them using "configure", you will have trouble because it will find functions who apeared with Mac OS 10.3. This functions are about the localization, so they may be called at startup. If they are missing, the application should crash before any text having to be displayed.
Arimund

Startup problem

Post by Arimund »

I've tried 0.9.6 with the same result.
I tried to download your image, but when 1% was left, the mac said it couldn't put it on the desk, and, quote:"sorry about that".
I'll try again today.

Also, I've build an image who may work on 10.2 as it has been compiled for but nobody has tried it on yet. You may download it (42MB) from
ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/ ... _0.9.6.dmg
and test if it fix something.[/quote]
lwa
Inactive Developer

Re: Startup problem

Post by lwa »

Arimund wrote:I've tried 0.9.6 with the same result.
I tried to download your image, but when 1% was left, the mac said it couldn't put it on the desk, and, quote:"sorry about that".
What a malicious Mac. Use the command line tool "curl"
to have a usable error message if any.

Code: Select all

curl --ftp-pasv -O ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/Wesnoth_MacOSX_0.9.6.dmg
Be sure you enabled PASSIVE FTP mode on your FTP software if you use
Mac OS X firewall.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

lwa wrote:If it is build with the project I found into the image, the SDK isn't used as far I know.
I can't say for sure with the latest version of XCode as I have not investigated fully. I can, however, state that:

* In previous versions of XCode the 10.2SDK was essential to maintain compatibility for Wesnoth
* Changing the SDK affects the compilation of the code in the current version of XCode.
* Not all of the OS compatility flags are present in the current 10.2SDK as opposed to previous 10.2SDK and this can lead to compile errors.

What would be good to know is if anyone has successfully run 0.9.6 on 10.2 :)
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Sithrandel wrote:I can't say for sure with the latest version of XCode as I have not investigated fully.
C++ don't compile with SDK 10.2 enabled. I've tried it.
As you've probably imported the project from a previous Xcode,
maybe the setting are not propagated for your converted target or maybe the SDL kind target don't care of SDK.

% cat test.cpp                                                   
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main(void) { cout << "Hello World" <<endl ;}

% g++ -isysroot=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk test.cpp -o test
test.cpp:1:20: error: no include path in which to search for iostream
test.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
test.cpp:3: error: ‘cout’ was not declared in this scope
test.cpp:3: error: ‘endl’ was not declared in this scope
If you want a 10.2 compiler, you can use those from sourceforge compile farm. But they are old and probably don't allow Xcode graphic interface and you can't test the game on it.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

lwa wrote:C++ don't compile with SDK 10.2 enabled. I've tried it.
As you've probably imported the project from a previous Xcode,
maybe the setting are not propagated for your converted target or maybe the SDL kind target don't care of SDK.
Incorrect. C++ compiles perfectly well with the 10.2SDK. The target setting does alter the compiled code and everything is behaving as it should :)

The issue is actually the Compiler version. You have to use GCC3.3 if you want to have legacy support for 10.2. This is why my versions of Wesnoth for the Mac are compiled using GCC3.3 not GCC4.0. Each change of OS and compiler over the last two years has resulted in careful consideration of what to do / not do in order to try to keep legacy support wherever possible as I am a fervent believer in it.

I would like to suggest that such discussions of compiler settings are best kept to the developer forum or to private messaging. They can have a habit of confusing the typical Mac user :)
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Correct, you use the right compiler. But as you use a legacy target type, main project settings, including SDK are ignored. Just seek "10.2" string in build transcript.