HttT, hard

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

superabo

HttT, hard

Post by superabo »

It's really, um, hard (for me at least). Has anyone beaten it on hard, and can they share their strategies? I had to reload-cheat a little to get past the Seige of Elensefar, and even a fair amount of cheating didn't work in The Valley of Death. Help!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I don't think so. Even EP wrote he couldn't finish it.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Tux2B wrote:I don't think so. Even EP wrote he couldn't finish it.
>_<

I couldn't beat it on hard with no losses. I could probably beat it on hard with no challenges, but I haven't done that yet.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

Superabo send me your saves.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
superabo

Post by superabo »

I'm having trouble loading them; I click "Add an Attachment," "Choose File," then "Add Attachment," then my screen goes back to the way it was before. I'm probably doing something obviously wrong and stupid.
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

No you're not, it just doesn't accept the save's format, zip them.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
elscouta

Post by elscouta »

I'm at Test of the Clans, hard. Siege of Elensefar was the hardest level yet, requiring me more than 12 hours of play to beat it (mainly because i didn't had any level 3 unit, and had a ridiculously low level of gold -- enough to recruit 7 units iirc). Even if i haven't used save/load, such an amount of play necessarily means luck played a bit part of the final victory.

The key thing when playing hard is to care of your gold. Recruiting too many unit on a level is often fatal (while on medium, you can easily recover). Recruit the forces you think you need, then send them, with Konrad to the battle. Never recruit an unit after the 4th turn on most scenarios (on some maps, it is good though to recruit a small initial force, take another castle with your forces, and recruit more here -- examples are Siege of Elensefar, Valley of Statues...)

And I think EP said he was not able to do Hard Mode without losses. As for this particular mode, i'm proud to say i succeeded the two first level of Trow (yes, The Autumn can be beaten in hard without losses). I would welcome any advise to beat Harrowing Escape though (i don't think it can really be done without incredible luck)
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

elscouta wrote: The key thing when playing hard is to care of your gold.
Do you find keeping loyale units alive for later use especially
important? This can save a lot of gold, but the units generally
aren't as good.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

bruno wrote:
elscouta wrote: The key thing when playing hard is to care of your gold.
Do you find keeping loyale units alive for later use especially
important? This can save a lot of gold, but the units generally
aren't as good.
Huh? Loyal is no longer given out as a trait... do you mean the units you get free at the start of some scenarios?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

turin wrote:Huh? Loyal is no longer given out as a trait... do you mean the units you get free at the start of some scenarios?
Exactly. Do you find that preserving these special units is
worthwhile so that they can be recalled later at a gold saving
even though the units generally only have the loyalty trait
(though not always) and aren't as good on the battlefield
as one that you recruit normally in that respect?
ereksos

httt hard siege of elsenfar strategy

Post by ereksos »

siege of elsenfar is probably one of the harder map in httr. in hard(est) mode, here is the strategy, the toughest part is not to win, but not to get any of your recall units or heroes kill:
1. hire mermaids to fill the outer moat
2. hire elven fighters
3. hire elven healer, position them near the moat, behind mermaids, after the mermaid has fallen, move them behind elven fighters.
4. as for heroes, rotate them to fill the hole left by fallen elven fighter. careful not to expose them for more than 1 round. hv them heal by healer.
5. also, u got to have at least a high level elvish slyph in order to effective carry out the above strategy.
6. most importantly, safe and load a lot :D
hv fun
EREKSOS
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: httt hard siege of elsenfar strategy

Post by Doc Paterson »

ereksos wrote:siege of elsenfar is probably one of the harder map in httr. in hard(est) mode, here is the strategy, the toughest part is not to win, but not to get any of your recall units or heroes kill:
1. hire mermaids to fill the outer moat
2. hire elven fighters
3. hire elven healer, position them near the moat, behind mermaids, after the mermaid has fallen, move them behind elven fighters.
4. as for heroes, rotate them to fill the hole left by fallen elven fighter. careful not to expose them for more than 1 round. hv them heal by healer.
5. also, u got to have at least a high level elvish slyph in order to effective carry out the above strategy.
6. most importantly, safe and load a lot :D
hv fun
hehe! :D

If you're doing #6, #s 1 through 5 are pretty irrelevant.

:P
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
ereksos

try to complete httr hard without safe and load

Post by ereksos »

hi pat,
imo, there is zero chance u can make sure all of ur heroes and recall units to survive this map w/o safe and load, unless u can show it to all of us?
pls come to the game server once in a while, so that we can play :D.
EREKSOS
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: try to complete httr hard without safe and load

Post by Doc Paterson »

ereksos wrote:hi pat,
imo, there is zero chance u can make sure all of ur heroes and recall units to survive this map w/o safe and load, unless u can show it to all of us?
pls come to the game server once in a while, so that we can play :D.
You want another rematch? :D

Good to see you joining the forum discussions; we have a grand old time in this place.

I've not tried Elsenfar(sp?) on hard- I've only ever played HTTT on medium. On medium though, it seemed super easy because I used my vast wealth (from early-finish bonuses) to hire a small army of elves, all of which were supplemented by leadership bonuses from either Konrad or my Elvish Captain. I also had a white mage and 2 paladins by the time the city fell, so the Undead bit the dust pretty quickly.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
ereksos

Post by ereksos »

then u should really try it out on hard, where gold is mostly just enough to survive.
i believe a good SP game can be evaluated by how close a game can be designed such that it is almost impossible to win but still leaving a crack in the armour for enthusiatic player to prevail. this type of game gives the most satisfaction to the victorious player, for what other reason does a player plays a strategic game other than to satisfy his/her ego as well as to have fun? from my idiotic grin after i finished the game, clearly, this campaign is one of the good SP map.

yes, a game pls. :)
EREKSOS