Faction: Kedari (Arabian Nights-based)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Azhur

Faction: Kedari (Arabian Nights-based)

Post by Azhur »

There hasn't really been any use of the sand tile in Wesnoth, so I think that some sort of Arabian faction would fill that gap. Having read some tales of Arabia's 1001 nights was the last straw.

Some examples:

Heroes:

Prince -> Sheik -> Sultan (Agile warrior and and an average caster)

Units:

Prophet -> Seer -> Oracle (Strong caster)

Efreet -> Genie -> Djinn (Great resistances, fast, wields dual Scimitars)

Cameleer -> Camel Warrior (Quite agile, survives well in hills and mountains unlike other cavarly units)

Slave -> Eunuch -> Royal Servant (Healer & Poisoner)

Outcast -> Tresspasser -> Marauder (Warrior with a magical ability to grow arms upon himself: lvl 1 = two hands, lvl 2 = four hands lvl 3 = six hands)

Guardian -> Warder (Great defence against normal weapon types)

Arabian units are naturally all good on sandy grounds. What do you think? :roll:
Last edited by Azhur on September 17th, 2005, 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Attila

Post by Attila »

This idea has been suggested numorous times, and, even though it's never been implemented, I love the idea. Especially the camel rider. Wesnoth had a distinct lack of variety when it comes to mounted unit. So far it is only horses, wolves, gryphons, or dead birds. I think camel riders would be amazing.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

I to think its a great idea. But just asking for the faction is one thing. Most people are wrapped up into making other parts of the game. If you really want to see any new thing of that sort, you should try making the art for it.
Dreadwing

Post by Dreadwing »

I want 6 arm units....
Azhur

Post by Azhur »

Dreadwing wrote:I want 6 arm units....
Hmm.. good idea. See the first post. :P

EDIT: If I drew all the units and create harmonic stats, could someone else do the animation part of the process?
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

I'm wiling to help, but I'm aways really busy, hardly have any spare time.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
Kafka

Post by Kafka »

Azhur wrote:
Dreadwing wrote:I want 6 arm units....
Hmm.. good idea. See the first post. :P

EDIT: If I drew all the units and create harmonic stats, could someone else do the animation part of the process?
i think he did read the first post, it would be amazing had he just randomly said that........

saying that, i want 6 arm units too.........

poor poor balless eunuchs
It's not about winning or losing, it's about how many you can take out before you go down!
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

*cough cough* If six arms if good then 8 arms would be more fun to see heh.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I like the idea, because there are no good units that can go in desert, except desert rangers in Under The Burning Suns.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There are some decent images for a desert rider in this thread.

I think the ones with the white horse are best, but its your call. I would suggest taking the images on the last page, making the horse white not brown, and lowering the sword in the static frame. Then it will actually look like a decent unit. :)

I'm not sure what unit that could be, but it makes sense as an arabian unit of some sort.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, these units look interesting, but do consider having an "ordinary" cavalry unit and an "ordinary" archer. I like the units you have proposed for this faction, but an "Arabian army" without horses and archers just wouldn't be an Arabian army. Also, in the Middle Ages Muslim armies used grenades made by filling clay pots with gasoline and lighting them on fire. How about some grenade-throwers in this faction? I'm guessing that would be a ranged fire attack.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Grenades would be fine as long as they are not called "grenades". ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

I dunno in mediavel total war it actually calls thoseguys...grenadiers.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

We can call them hand bombs for dev's sake. After all, that is what they basically were.

In the end, Wesnoth owuld be like Firefox, and everyone will play with their own add-ons and whatnot.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Or you can call them, well, ehm, sorry I don't know it in English: "feu grégeois". (I need a translator here)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon