Idea for Far East Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kafka

Idea for Far East Faction

Post by Kafka »

I've been working on a faction modelled after the Far East. I believe they could add a lot to Wesnoth. I have 5 level 1 units made so far, and I appreciate critisism. Also, all of my computer expertise is on fixing them, I'm not a programmer, so I would like somebody to bring life to my brain child if it gets approved. Tippsey is currently working on a scenerio idea to introduce them.

Here are the units so far:

Initiate:
HP: 36 Moves: 6 Alignment: Lawful Required XP: ?40?Cost: ?15/16?

Initiates are the most common warriors of this faction. Having trained behind monastery walls for most of their lives, in order to perfect their bodies and minds, they are adept in unarmed combat, dodging blows and delivering powerful strikes. They have trained to be resistant to the elements, but they sacrifice the protection of armor for mobility. They have trained in many natural settings, as well as in their monasteries, but don't fight well in placed where their enemies can hide or their mobility is reduced, such as towns, swamps, and mountains.

ATTACKS:

Name Type Strikes Range Special
Punch Impact 6-3 Melee First Strike

Flying Kick Impact 14-1 Melee Charge

Resistances:

Attack Type Resistance

Blade -20%
Cold 20%
Fire 20%
Holy 20%
Impact 10%
Pierce -30%

Terrain Modifiers:

Terrain Defense Movement
Castle 50% 1
Sand 40% 1
Snow 30% 2
Cave Wall 50% -
Shallow Water 20% 2
Forest 40% 2
Grassland 50% 1
Hills 50% 2
Mountains 30% 3
Deep Water 20% -
Village 30% 1
Cave 40% 1
Swamp 20% 2

Meditant:
HP: 25 Moves: 6 Alignment: Lawful Required XP: ?45?Cost: 19

Meditants are initiates who focus on improving their minds and spirits further than the more common, martially adept monks. Centuries ago, they have developed a calming aura to weaken their opponents resolve, and leave them vulnerable to attack. Since then, these monks have increased the effectiveness of this strategy by focusing and throwing the aura at their enemies from afar. Like normal initiates, they are mobile and unarmored, but they rely on wisdom, wit, and insight to dodge their opponent’s blows, and do not share the advantages or disadvantages the initiates have on certain terrain.

ATTACKS:

Punch Impact 8-1 Melee Slow

Calming Aura Impact 6-3 Ranged Slow

Resistances:

Attack Type Resistance

Blade -20%
Cold 30%
Fire 30%
Holy 30%
Impact 0%
Pierce -30%

Terrain Modifiers:

Terrain Defense Movement
Castle 40% 1
Sand 40% 1
Snow 30% 2
Cave Wall 50% -
Shallow Water 30% 2
Forest 40% 2
Grassland 40% 1
Hills 40% 2
Mountains 40% 3
Deep Water 30% -
Village 40% 1
Cave 40% 1
Swamp 30% 2
Claw Dancer:
HP: 30 Moves: 7 Alignment: Neutral Required XP: ?35?Cost: 20

These lithe and agile opponents are often mistaken for monks, but in fact, they are their own sect of warriors. Uninterested in achieving spiritual perfection, they focus on the here and now. Used as scouts and assassins, these warriors use deception and agility to beat their foes. They use their cloaks to hide from their enemies and distract them, deflecting potentially lethal blows from blades and maces alike. However, piercing weapons go right through their defenses, straight to their relatively unarmored bodies.

ATTACKS:

Claws Blade 5-4 Melee

Shuriken Piercing 4-3 Ranged

Resistances:

Attack Type Resistance

Blade 20%
Cold 0%
Fire 0%
Holy 20%
Impact 10%
Pierce -30%

Terrain Modifiers:

Terrain Defense Movement
Castle 60% 1
Sand 50% 1
Snow 30% 2
Cave Wall 50% -
Shallow Water 20% 2
Forest 60% 1
Grassland 50% 1
Hills 50% 2
Mountains 50% 3
Deep Water 20% -
Village 60% 1
Cave 40% 1
Swamp 20% 2

Samurai wanderer:
HP: 38 Moves: 5 Alignment: Lawful Required XP: ?40?Cost: 20

These recruits have spent most of their lives learning the way of the sword. They can draw their blade and strike without notice, or focus their senses to hone in on the enemies weak point. Having wandered and wide, they have gained experience as great as any militarily trained warrior. However, life outside service to a lord is not a profitable one, and although proficient with armor, most fresh recruits can not afford its protection, sometimes proving fatal in combat.

ATTACKS:

Iajitsu (Katana) Blade 8-3 Melee First Attack

Strike (Katana) Blade 10-2 Melee Marksman

Resistances:

Attack Type Resistance

Blade -10%
Cold 0%
Fire 0%
Holy 20%
Impact 0%
Pierce -10%

Terrain Modifiers:

Terrain Defense Movement
Castle 50% 1
Sand 30% 2
Snow 30% 2
Cave Wall 50% -
Shallow Water 20% 2
Forest 40% 2
Grassland 40% 1
Hills 50% 2
Mountains 50% 3
Deep Water 20% -
Village 50% 1
Cave 30% 1
Swamp 20% 2

Samurai Noble:
HP: 35 Moves: 7 Alignment: Lawful Required XP: ?50?Cost: 26

These are samurai who have served their lords since childhood, often born into powerful samurai families. After training with the blade, these samurai learned the art of horseback. While not as mobile as other horseman, because of their heavy armor, these samurai have excellent defense against blades and arrows. Apart from mobility problems, their armor also makes them more vulnerable to the elements.

ATTACKS:

Naginata (slash) Blade 6-3 Melee

Naginata (Pierce) Piercing 9-2 Melee First Attack

Composite Bow Piercing 8-2 Ranged

Resistances:

Attack Type Resistance

Blade 20%
Cold -10%
Fire -10%
Holy 20%
Impact 10%
Pierce 30%

Terrain Modifiers:

Terrain Defense Movement
Castle 30% 1
Sand 20% 2
Snow 30% 2
Cave Wall 50% -
Shallow Water 20% 3
Forest 30% 2
Grassland 30% 1
Hills 40% 2
Mountains 40% -
Deep Water 20% -
Village 30% 1
Cave 20% 1
Swamp 20% 2
Last edited by Kafka on June 23rd, 2005, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not about winning or losing, it's about how many you can take out before you go down!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I think there already have been a discussion about Far East faction, but I don't remember where.

Anyway. For a Far East faction , you must know whether you prefer Indian-kind of units or Chinese units.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

Tux2B wrote:I think there already have been a discussion about Far East faction, but I don't remember where.

Anyway. For a Far East faction , you must know whether you prefer Indian-kind of units or Chinese units.
Well you know we can make an alliance between them in default era and separate in classic era.
But if we can't do that then I prefer chinese kind of units.
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Idea for Far East Faction

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Kafka wrote:Naginata
I've never heard of a samurai using a naginata. They use the katana and the wakizashi.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Although samurai were trained in the sword they were also trained in several other weapons and could speciliaze in a naginata, the bow, or several other weapons. Examples can be found in history books, anime, games and even fictionary books as well.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Kafka

Post by Kafka »

These units are mainly Chineese and Japenese based units. As for the question on the naginata, it was a weapon used by samurai, whose popularity died near the end of the time of the samurai. By the time when samurais were few, and most became either buisness families or wanderers, the katana, wakizashi, and no-dashi swords were some of the only samurai weapons commonly used. The naginata is a spear like weapon with a blade on the end, used by samurai on foot, but more so by horse-riding samurai. It was an effective far reaching weapon that didn't off balance a horse-riding samurai that also had good uses on foot, and although lacked the versitility of the sword, it was useful in duels none-the-less
It's not about winning or losing, it's about how many you can take out before you go down!
Kafka

Post by Kafka »

Sorry, but there was a mistake under the innitiate. It used to say the flying kick was first strike. This is wrong, it has been edited to say the flying kick is CHARGE. Sorry.
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Hmm tis good to see more then the just the initiate from before, looks ok as a faction...good luck.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Good.. maybe too many skill in for the 1st levels...
You should remove 1st strike in the initiate punch attack (at least for 1st level) so you can add it later. Move its cost to 16 or 17
Remove marksman from the samurai.. Way too good for a 1st level unit! (add it to 2nd level too)
Also removing the bow from the mounted samurai... same reason (you can add it to level 2)
Kafka

Post by Kafka »

fmunoz, thanks for the advice. Originally i thought the marksman made sense and was good for high defence oppenents. However, I believe you are right, and looking at the faction as a whole, their advantage is strong in plains, where even high defence units have lowered values. This means marksman isn't needed, and it does provides too much of an easy way to bring a battle to the enemy where they normally should be strong. I guess the first strike punch isn't needed right away, so I will get rid of it. Where I disagree is getting rid of the bow attack. A samurai on horseback heavily used bows, but I understand how nobody wants a unit to do everything. Having already reduced the movement lower than a normal horse unit, and making sure it is a high cost unit, i believe it is ok to change the bow attack from composite bow to a normal bow and make it a 5-2 attack instead of 8-2. I will also lower the 9-2 piercing naginata to an 8-2, because of the advantage it would have against other horseman and other mobile units would be to great at 9-2.

Again, I appreciate critizism. Anyone making a faction is prone to wanting them to be a little too good. Confusing balance with able to kill anything is common, and I do not want to fall into that trap, only to not ever get the faction even useable. Keep in mind I do want this faction to rely on teamwork and special abilities to keep it unique and set it apart from other factions, while still being balanced. I am all to prone to arrogance, so feel free to shoot me down.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Removing your mounted samurai pierce resistance will be a good move, keep in mind that the calvaryman & knigth branch have 120 (and they are medium/heavy calvary)
So a 100 to 120 value will be ok (110 is already better than any other horse mounted unit)
ryn

Post by ryn »

There are two questions I have about this idea:
1. What is the leveling tree going to be like? lots of branches, or relatively few units in higher levels?
2. Where are the graphics going to come from?

BTW, they sound awesome :)

Also note that you don't need to know how to program to add these to the game - the unit config. files are very simple.
2B |! 2B = 3F
Kafka

Post by Kafka »

Ok, I have a few things to respond to. First, i decided to make the samurai noble pierce resiliant to be different than normal horseman. This means he will be strong against horseman and archers, but i think the he will be balanced in the end.

Question about the graphics, currently i have a friend who i'm trying to get to help me, but any voulenteers will be appreciated. I'm just trying to get the attention of the developers at the moment, and i wanna make sure the faction is good before i rush off making it.

Lastly, about the leveling tree. Most units will branch, but i have only made the level 2 units for a few of them, look for a complete list of level twos by monday, hopefully sooner.
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Kafka wrote:Naginata
I've never heard of a samurai using a naginata. They use the katana and the wakizashi.
It is a samurai spear. Chinese samurais used it. I can prove it with the image.
Attachments
This is a naginata of a highly good chinese spearman.
This is a naginata of a highly good chinese spearman.
d_82.jpg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 11268 times
appart that the two previous images are big. Well there is a low grade spearman's naginata.
appart that the two previous images are big. Well there is a low grade spearman's naginata.
1020gtj.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 11216 times
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Seiryu wrote:Chinese samurais used it. I can prove it with the image.
Oh gee, that's a wonderful image of a Chinese samurai using a naginata. :roll:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.