Quick Tips and Using the Drakes Effectively

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

SaintDust wrote: Mostly you need slashers or skirmishers/tribalists
The clashers don't resist pierce anymore so they are uneffective untill you can upgrade them into slashers.
Unless you're playing with low exp., that upgrade will happen maybe once per game, if at all.

Clashers are extremely effective against the Loyalists. If you're using skirmishers/clashers and they're using a lot of mounted units, they're DONE. The truth is, a horseman can barely survive a single encounter in which they attack a Clasher during the day. Odds are that they will hit once and miss once, and that you'll hit them at least twice (18 (9x2)damage every hit). They can only really deliver a finishing blow to a Clasher (which is how they'd likely be used by a good player facing drakes anyway). So generally, I use the Tribalist, under some sort of 60-defense terrain, to weaken spearmen, and use the Skirmishers and Clashers to take apart anything on four legs.

8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
unsung

Post by unsung »

actually ive found a pair of horsemen to be highly effectie against lone clashers not to deliver the final blow.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
bbbbb457

Post by bbbbb457 »

your strategy guide was very precise. you should make one for the undead also.

Chaos Master
hello
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

unsung wrote:actually ive found a pair of horsemen to be highly effectie against lone clashers not to deliver the final blow.
Highly effective? Maybe on the luckiest of lucky days..... :P
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
unsung

Post by unsung »

before I post anyhting i will admit doc completley owned me yesterday.
and I was fighting in mountnainous terrain so the clasher had trouble fighting back.
this also caused me to realise that I should add something:
avoid javlineers. these units are so acuurate and hit so often its scary and they can do a lot of damage.
the answer to them is probably the saurian magic users or units thta have levelled up.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

unsung wrote:before I post anyhting i will admit doc completley owned me yesterday.
and I was fighting in mountnainous terrain so the clasher had trouble fighting back.
avoid javlineers. these units are so acuurate and hit so often its scary and they can do a lot of damage.
the answer to them is probably the saurian magic users or units thta have levelled up.
I wouldn't say that I "owned" you. It was a very good game. :)

Pointy Stick Neo was a superstar.

Hope you're having a good birthday.
:D
without your noses.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

unsung wrote:before I post anyhting i will admit doc completley owned me yesterday.
Javelineer is a strong unit,but it has not too high hp so if you concecrate on him (i suggest saurian skirmishers as they've got more pierce resistance,and ranged attack as well) in the night you kill him easily (he's lawful)
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

Tux2B wrote:
emile_le_reveil wrote: Where are the weak-points of the drakes?
And are the drakes really not over-powered?
Cold attack (Undead and elcish sorceresses have such attack)
Try to upgrade elvish shaman in a game with over 60% xp to level up
unsung

Post by unsung »

it's not a question of wether or not you can kill him. it's a question of how much damage you will suffe rin the processes which is a lot. especially when in my hands becuase i'm already good at holding out for long periods of time with few units. the javlinee makes this even easier. first stike ranged high damage and acuracy+mountains/castle=long battle to kill one unit.
dalk

Post by dalk »

There are a few things i dont agree with in your manual:
you should choose a slasher instead of a flare when fighting other drakes,
maybe its just my opinion but i think fighters are better then clashers vs undead since they are qually good vs adepts and a fighter has better chances vs skeletons and ghosts too(you dont need burners that way)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

dalk wrote:There are a few things i dont agree with in your manual:
you should choose a slasher instead of a flare when fighting other drakes,
maybe its just my opinion but i think fighters are better then clashers vs undead since they are qually good vs adepts and a fighter has better chances vs skeletons and ghosts too(you dont need burners that way)
I mostly agree with you on the undead point, and Drake vs. Drake is of course the most unusual match the Drakes have. In that regard, consider what a Flare surrounded by Skirmishers or Tribalists can do to opposing drakes. It's more brutality than a single Slasher can pack; but still, I think it's interesting and cool that you use a Slasher sometimes.

Back to the adepts issue; I think you're absolutely right- Adept/bat spamming actually doesn't work at all against a good drake player using mostly Fighters. They have to pick their way through mountains and forests trying to get in range, whereas you have supreme mobility and can kill them by the bushels when the right moment arrives. I think they (the Fighters) do take too much damage against skeletons in general though- You really get a better damage to money ratio using the occasional Burner to wreck the skeletons, <and the ghosts as an added bonus >(it's one of the few situations in which I'll use Burners).

Word up, Dalk. 8) Good thoughts.
without your noses.
Saurian Bibleist

Post by Saurian Bibleist »

Doc Paterson wrote:Back to the adepts issue; I think you're absolutely right- Adept/bat spamming actually doesn't work at all against a good drake player using mostly Fighters.
A true teaching from the Tao of Paterson, my friend. :D I think a lot of Undead players don't see the larger picture; they don't realize that though you're taking a lot of losses, they're actually taking more, and losing the scouting war in the process, spending so much on those slow-footed adepts.
Take that plank out of your eye.
js138

Post by js138 »

Against the typical drake player (why do newbies play drakes so often) I expect to lose one DA for each unit I kill - but since those units cost more than mine, I'm going to come out on top that way.

Does depend on the map tho - lots of hills make life hard work since the DA currently has poor mobility there.

As for the economic war? Well bats can scoot around and take villages and corpses can defend them in the rear areas to make life trickier for the skirmishers, but if the drake player is using plenty of skirmishers he's probably not a newbie :-)
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

I think i have made a mistake in my strategy.
I overlooked the power of the Drake Fighter.

He is by far the best scout you get. If you get lucky and they obtain the "quick" ability they can move in and out pretty quickly and deal massive damage.

In day i have seen them with 10x3-14x3...Thats a sweet attack.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

I posted a Drave v Loyalist replay.
Should be watched. My opponent made a mistake late in game.
This was on blitz map to, where loyalists with mermen have a slight edge against Drakes

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6471