Wesnoth 0.9.2

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I too am using 10.3.8 and trying to run cpenguin's 0.9.2 build. And it won't run. I'm guessing that for some reason it requires 10.3.9? I've been hesitant to upgrade to 10.3.9 becuase I heard of some bugs it had and it's another 50 MB of stuff I don't need.
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

quartex wrote:I too am using 10.3.8 and trying to run cpenguin's 0.9.2 build. And it won't run. I'm guessing that for some reason it requires 10.3.9? I've been hesitant to upgrade to 10.3.9 becuase I heard of some bugs it had and it's another 50 MB of stuff I don't need.
The 10.3.9 updated borked java on some computers (mine was fine). Apple released a patch to solve the problem. If you end up updating and your java is hosed, go here: [url]http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... 9.html[url] to get the patch.

Anyway, I have 10.3.9, I used penguin's Wesnoth 0.9.2 build, and I've had absolutely no problems. I have no idea why, considering how many others are experiencing troubles. Maybe it's because the only other version of Wesnoth I've ever installed on my computer is 0.9.1. But whatever the reason, penguin's build does work.

Karen
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

Ok, I spent all bloody night downloading the 117MB system update to upgrade me from 10.3.7 to 10.3.9, and Wesnoth now runs! Hahaha, it was worth it!

<Face falls on keyboard, starts snoaring loudly>
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Huh, so apparently it requires the stdc++ library in 10.3.9. That seems very odd, considering I built it to work on 10.2, and the libraries, while I don't expect them to work on 10.2, haven't been updated since before I had 10.3.9, so it really should work. I'll look into exactly what requires that stdc++ version tomorrow (must go to bed now.)
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

In the MacOSX package, internationalization does not work execpt maybe for the builder.

GMO files are symlinks outside the bundle.

Code: Select all

% ls -l Battle\ For\ Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/translations/fr/LC_MESSAGES
total 32
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  45 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth-editor.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth-editor/fr.gmo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  41 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth-ei.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth-ei/fr.gmo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  43 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth-httt.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth-httt/fr.gmo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  42 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth-lib.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth-lib/fr.gmo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  44 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth-sotbe.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth-sotbe/fr.gmo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  42 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth-tdh.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth-tdh/fr.gmo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  43 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth-trow.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth-trow/fr.gmo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 lwa  admin  38 10 jui 11:45 wesnoth.mo -> /Users/ben/wesnoth/./po/wesnoth/fr.gmo
[/quote]
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Ugh! Sorry about that :( I've never made the translations work before. This time I compiled the translations, and ended up with a "translations" folder, which I assumed was what I wanted (I'd seen before that's what it was set to use with Sithrandel's project.) I really don't see why that would make symlinks, but now I know for next time I guess :?
DaviddesJ

Post by DaviddesJ »

Elvish Pillager wrote:The two balancing schemes are as follows: Mine, which states that each unit should be balanced to be of as equal power as possible; and yours, which states that each faction should be of as equal power as possible, with secondarially the goal of making the units fairly balanced.
From what he said, I don't think that's Noy's goal at all. He doesn't want to make the individual units "fairly balanced"; he wants to make the overall faction balanced, while making some units in each faction better or worse in order to add variety. If every faction has units of every type that are equally good, then they all feel about the same to play, but if each faction has some particularly good units, but of different types, then effective play of a faction requires that the player favor the units that the faction favors, while still sometimes buying the less favorable units in order to fill a particular need.
I, as an era designer, will assemble units into eras which consist of units, mainly from the Default area, but with no care paid to which factions they come from. I may wish to use a set of units which your scheme will make all overpowered, and a set of units which your scheme will make all underpowered.
It seems that you aren't going to be able to ignore which units you pick and still end up with perfect balance. IMHO, that's ok. It's hard for me to see why they should give up their goals in order to favor your goal.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

About the translation file, I guess theyre is a bug in the source archive.
The symlinks are created at configure time but the .gmo targets are not build.
When you simply run "configure", "make" and "make install", you have a translation folder full of symlinks to non existant files.
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

Hey, I am using penguin's MacOSX version of 9.2 and it appears I can't get onnline.

It always says connecting to remote host and then stays like that forever

What do I do :cry:
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

darksteel wrote:Hey, I am using penguin's MacOSX version of 9.2 and it appears I can't get onnline.

It always says connecting to remote host and then stays like that forever

What do I do :cry:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6319
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6241
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6250

The regular server is down, just connect to devsrv.wesnoth.org
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

lwa wrote:About the translation file, I guess theyre is a bug in the source archive.
The symlinks are created at configure time but the .gmo targets are not build.
When you simply run "configure", "make" and "make install", you have a translation folder full of symlinks to non existant files.
I did actually build the translations though (`cd po; make`,) and it did work for me, but that's because I had the files the symlinks point to. If I make another build, I'll know to move the files from po to translations, and then move it into the app. Better yet, someone could fix that translations folder.
scott

Post by scott »

Alright, so is there an answer on 10.3? I have been updating apple.com with the game information, but I want to know if everyone be able to run 0.9.2 before I do it. Should I make 10.3.9 the min OS requirement?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Well, I think so far all who've tried with 10.3.9+ have had success, and none without it have. So I guess that's the requirement (I still don't see why though.)
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

penguin's version worked fine with my 10.3.9..
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Just to confuse the issue :wink: I'm using 10.4.1 and haven't had much luck with either version of 0.9.2. Scotts version fails to launch at all, whereas Penguins version launches but complains about the Seed of Evil campaign before quitting. Incidentally a fix for this is given in the Seed of evil thread (can't remember who posted it but thanks whovever you are!). I haven't had chance to see whether this works yet though.
Rothrorn the Wise