Quick Tips and Using the Drakes Effectively

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SaintDust

Quick Tips and Using the Drakes Effectively

Post by SaintDust »

Using the Drakes Effectively

For multiplayer use only.

Overview

There is no strategy guide that is fail proof, and most of this is related to the simple fact that each game employs a new situation that a strategy guide can not always cover. The best thing I can do is familiarize, a wesnoth enthusiastic, and hope to cover most of the basics. Most of this information is self learned over a period of time by playing the game. Therefore most veteran players are vastly familiar with this. Because of this I have three main sections. Section 1 is simple tips and tactics, which will help a newer player out. The 2 part is an overview of the Drakes and will help aid even the best players in some newer knowledge. Section three is a basic overview of each individual unit. Forgive me if this information is inadequate.

Section One

Quick Tips

1. Try get to a point where you can kill any unit with any two units. Most of the time it requires 3 units to take out any one unit, and if luck is against you it could require 4-5 units. If that is the case it is a waste to attempt it since your units could be better used taking opponents villages or defending your own villages.

2. Try to level up the right units. If you have a Glider that is about to level and a Burner Drake, chose to level the Burner Drake since he is more effective in battle. It would be a waste to level a Sky Drake unless your are on a very watery map.

3. Set up your kills. First chose a unit amoung your recruited units. Next attack a single enemy unit with enough of your other units and get him low enough on life so that your chosen unit can come in and make the kill..

Example
You have a Burner Drake with full life which you would like to level.
Your opponent has a dwarf on a village with only 19 hit points.
Even though your chances to hit him are good( 50%) yet because his resistance to Burner is high your will probably not kill him with the Burner Drake alone. First use your gladiator to deal some damage and then move in and make the kill with the Burner Drake.

4. Fight in the day with your Lawful units and at night with your chaotic units.
It may seem bad to retreat, but it is better to lose 8 gold over 2 turns than to lose 21 gold on a Burner Drake which would die in battle at night.
Most of the time you can retake your villages at dawn and the enemy will fall back. If he doesn’t fall back by choice you should over power him all together. Most of that is conditional since not all units you will fight will be chaotic. But no matter what you still do less damage at night with drakes. When its chaotic versus lawful the damage difference is not 25%, as most people would assume, but instead 50%. This is because you do 25% less as he does 25% more.

5. Choice of leader. Most of the time the best leader is the Drake FlameHeart or Drake Flare. Sometimes it’s fun to chose a different leader, but when you are down and out the leadership ability that FlameHeart and Flare have is to useful to have an overlook. The only time i would advise using a different leader is when you are up against the loyalists. The best counter to most of their units are the Slasher/Warden line. Slashers resist pierce 10%, and warden 20%.

6. Don’t feed your enemy experience. If you fight your opponent long enough and lose units long enough he will gain a Level Edge against your units. Once this begins to happen your lower level units will have an even harder time winning. So chose wisely in where and when you place your units.

7. There are two main advantages to have within the game. The economy edge or the level edge. If you have a economy edge you are able to deploy a much larger force which should allow you to control the map. The level edge is important to have as well. Higher level units are harder to kill. And because of this they tend to march through smaller level units fairly easy. Level 2 units can be killed by 4-5 level one units(if used properly). If luck is not serving you well they can require more level one units than you can spare. From the first 5 or so turns in a game you can tell what kind of edge you are going to have.

8. Don’t waste near leveling units, and target units that are close to leveling. Sometimes it can be useful to target units that are close to leveling. And nothing feels worse then seeing a unit that you have kept alive so long die. So do this to your opponent.

9. Early game, mid game, and late game are the three stages of battle. Understanding what goes on within each can help you make better choices.

Early game consists of first round troop recruitments and use of leader to take surrounding villages.
Mid game is generally the longest part of the game. Through this period of time you should be trying to establish a level edge or economy edge to use for your late game attacks.
Late game is pretty quick. Most of the time players can see a loss coming in mid game and chose not to proceed any further. Sometimes the late game can be set up fairly quick depending upon situations. If a player moves his leader out to far from castle and gets trapped, is an example of this.

10. Never move your leader to far out from the castle. Don’t get this confused with the early game use of the leader to occupy surrounding villages. If you see a chance to trap a leader in, and you have enough troops to continue a 2 or so round fight, then commit to it.
Last edited by SaintDust on June 16th, 2005, 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

Section 2

Drake’s overview

Step One
Establish a Valid Economy
Skirmisher Leap Frog Trick

Before you build anything at all locate all the villages that are within your reach. Take into consideration the distances and surrounding terrain. Also include your enemy’s moves. Even though any unit can be used as a scout some units are built more for it than others. The Glider line and the Saurian Skirmisher line are the best of these. 80% of the time I will end up using the skirmisher more than the glider. My main goal is not to just take unoccupied villages but to take my opponents villages. And because of ZoC I sometimes fail to get around the enemy units with Gliders, I therefore deploy several (4-5) Skirmishers. Skirmishers are good for this since they can move past the ZoC (Zone of Control). I call this technique leap frog, leaping from one village to the next.

The only times i have found the Gliders to be effective are when the villages are spaced out in such a way that my Skirmishers will become uneffective. If the map is a random map generated unfairly in my behalf i will probaly end up using Gliders so that i can capture far out villages first.

Once you spread out and take all your local villages (villages within your reach) focus next on your opponents villages. At this point he will be faced with two choices. One, to take the villages your skirmishers just left or two, to engage and attack your skirmishers. If he chose the later he will begin to lose an economy edge and you will begin accumulating an advantage. If your skirmishers begin to die off relocate them. Again, because they have the skirmish ability they can move out of ZoC and never be trapped or cornered in.

If you use this part of the strategy effectively you will begin to gain an edge that will later prove to be successful.

If the settings are 1 gold per village and they’re only 4-5 villages that you could acquire forget wasting your gold on skirmishers and buy some more effective fighting units. Skirmishers are only effective in groups and backed with good leadership. Most of the time they die if they are out numbered 2v1 or 3v1. Just be wise in your choices from that start. If the setting are set low for village gold and or village amount, try recruiting some better fighting units.

Step Two
Use of your economy

Nothing could cost you more than throwing money away on unimportant units.
Since situations always change your tactics will need to adapt. The good thing about Drakes is their versatility in night/day attacks and their ability to maneuver on any map.
By the time mid game approaches,and if you went with Leap Frog Trick, you should have a good enough economy to deal with most threats. It would be even better if you didn’t allow your skirmishers to die off. If in doing that you could have allowed your opponent to have a level edge. Most of the time you need both to win a game, but not always. Most of the time a level edge is harder to beat since the units poses more of a threat then a economy edge. The only time economy beats level is when the differance is signifagant enough.

It’s a good idea to keep a steady flow of troops coming out from within your castles. One each turn is good enough. Sometimes you may to use your leader and back your troops, if doing that you will accumulate a good gold pile and later you can recruit a much larger force.

The advantages are this,
1. Your units stay grouped.
2. You can look over the situation you have at the time of recruitment and chose the proper units.

Step 3
Seize the End Game

By late-mid game you can tell how the battle is turning out. The loss of several units can prove to be deadly for you and any allies you may have. Hopefully if you have made the right choices and luck was with you, you should clean up the game easy enough.

Because you may have trouble choosing units I have a small unit guide for the drakes.
Last edited by SaintDust on June 13th, 2005, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

Section Three

Here is a very crude and simple guide to using drake units. Most of this my come off as opinionated, and I'm sure there are better players who can add tons more than I. But what I have learned so far I will share with you.

Clasher Line

Level 1
Clasher

Level 2
Gladiator
Slasher

Level 3
Slasher-Warden

If you are faced with undead adepts make some Clashers fronted with some cheap skirmishers/tribalists. Gladiators are one of your best chances against undead adepts since they have 4 attacks with high damage. Try not to be on the defense when using your Clashers. Don’t let them come under attack from adepts since they will die very easily. When it comes down to deal with undead you will have to be very good at positioning your units. If he uses ghosts get a burner drake since they are able to fend off any threats they might pose.

Upgrades.

If you find yourself against a lot of pierce weapons chose to upgrade your Clashers to Slashers since they resist pierce 10% and later Wardens resist pierce 20%.
Loyalists tend to end up with a lot of pierce weapons so if you start the game against a loyalist player expect to recruit clashers/slashers.

Drake Burner Line

Level 1
Drake Burner

Level 2
Fire Drake
Drake Flare

Level 3
Fire Drake-Inferno Drake
Drake-Flare-Drake FlameHeart

Burner Drakes is your most all-around-unit. They are good against most units since they have great attacks both with range and non range. If they are used front line with some Tribalists backing them up they can become quiet effective.

Upgrades

In my opinion use the Drake Flare unless you already have one out in battle. Though he posses less range damage yet he possesses 1 more non ranged attack and the leadership ability. The best thing about upgrading to Fire Drake is getting the very powerful Drake Inferno. With 6 range attacks and 60+ hp he is very effective fighter.

Drake Fighter Line

Level 1
Drake Fighter

Level 2
Drake Warrior

Level 3
Drake Blade Master

The use of the fighter line is unknown. The basic difference between the clasher and the fighter is small. If you want a real fighter chose the clasher. For 2 more gold you will get more overall non ranged damage with a lack of 3-3 range fire attack. 3/3 points of damage is hardly enough to ever use offensively, though it may be good to have if attacked by archers or mages. Anyone units is better at higher levels and so is the case with the fighter. He just keeps getting better

Drake Glider

Level 1
Drake Glider

Level 2
Sky Drake

Level 3
Hurricane Drake

The best ranged scout. Early game use is to acquire villages and mid-late game use is to trap units in, or to attack weak retreating units. They are also good as spies since they can set far out of sight of enemy castles without being known. Using them this way can allow you to foresee any problem units being recruited.

Upgrades

The Glider only gets better as he goes up in level. Since there is no upgrade options you are pretty much stuck with what you get. If you can level anything try leveling a better unit before you do so with the Glider. Of course that statement is case sensitive.

Saurian Tribalist

Level 1
Saurian Tribalist

Level 2
Saurian IceCaster
Saurian Soothsayer

This is my favorite unit to use within the Drake faction. These little guys are great any way you look at them. The move through terrain fairly easy and they posses the heal ability. Healing has to be one of the most important parts of possessing a unit. Not only do they heal they serve a good attack ratio 5/3 magical. Being that it is magical its is effective for hitting things you would normally miss. They are excellent for setting up kills for other units and since they are fairly easy to level, and because they possess decent upgrade abilities they are very useful units to have.

The best use of them is to finish an attack up or to cower behind larger groups of units and just heal. Massing these units could prove effective since they all seem to gather together and end up healing each other.

Upgrades

Most of the time you should fall for the IceCaster path since you get a higher magical attack. They only time you need a soothsayer is if your opponent possesses and uses poison attacks. If you chose soothsayer path you should always leave him behind and close to units you want to protect.

Saurian Skirmisher Line

Level 1
Saurian Skirmisher

Level 2
Saurian Ambusher

Level 3
Saurian Flanker

The skirmisher line is a very useful line to have. Their ability to sneak right through units are a most valuable option to have lying around. They posses both range and non range attacks which make them harder to deal with. If these guys are backed with some leadership at night they can tear down some of the strongest opponents and not feel a loss
And since terrain nearly never effects how far they can move, they can become quiet a nuisance.

Upgrades

The path is pretty much a better more stronger version of what the skirmisher is. I would not try leveling a skirmisher over a burner but I certainly wouldn’t leave that option out of mind if the situation allows it.
Last edited by SaintDust on June 13th, 2005, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pg

Post by pg »

I have to be honest I found the title quick tips to be a bit misleading... :lol: Most things seemed most general usage than for drakes too. I have only read the first part though, some decent information. I promise to read the rest later. :)
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

no tips for undead?
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

pg..

yes this quick tips guide is mostly meant for the drakes, but gives any new player good ideas overall.

working on undead...trying to play them a bit more before i can post a guide.
emile_le_reveil

Post by emile_le_reveil »

Big tnx to this thread! It's allways cool if people write such tips&strategies...

I'm a newbie to this game(not to strategy-games)
and one of my first impressions in multiplayer(against AI, I'm still
getting an overview)
was that the Drakes are unstopable. :twisted: Till now I didn't find any effectiv
tactic against Drakes-AI. (playing with orks, undeath and elves)

So I was surprised about your topic here! :D

Where are the weak-points of the drakes?
And are the drakes really not over-powered?
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

emile_le_reveil wrote: Where are the weak-points of the drakes?
And are the drakes really not over-powered?
Cold attack (Undead and elcish sorceresses have such attack)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think it would be great if the different strategy guides people have posted could be combined into one page on the wiki. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

if mine is going to be submitted let me know so i can proof read it again to ensure that it is correct...
Ardonik

Post by Ardonik »

SaintDust wrote:if mine is going to be submitted let me know so i can proof read it again to ensure that it is correct...
Wikis don't have a submission process. You'd simply go to http://wesnoth.slack.it/?BestForumStrategies and add a link to this thread (which someone has apparently already done.) I don't like that page, personally--compared to the ease of collaboration with a tool like a wiki, trying to collaborate in a thread like this is inefficient at best. SaintDust would have to edit his first few posts over and over as the strategy was refined.

My advice, SaintDust: make a page on the wiki called PlayingDrakes, copy the best points from this discussion into it, and then link to that wiki page from the bottom of AdvancedTactics. Other lurkers on the wiki will eventually take care of the rest.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Burners seem really overrated to me; I very rarely use them in serious games. Fighters, Tribalists, Skirmishers, and sometimes (usually against Knalgans, Drakes or Loyalists) Clashers. This to me is the CORE :P of the Drakes, when played on small 1v1 maps.
It's cool that you wrote this though. In my opinion, what we really need is the style of organization that they use on pages like this-

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/fo ... forumid=61

where different stategies for different characters/factions are divided in an easy to navigate manner. This is of course for different character-strategies in a fighting game; picture this format applied to the 6 factions of Wesnoth. Note how each character section links into its own "room," where all manner of subjects related to that character's strategy are discussed.

Imagine something like this:

A section in "Forums" called "Faction Strategy."

Under "Faction Strategy," you would find-

Knalgan Strategies
(maybe you'd see subjects like "Proper Use of Berzerkers," "Anti-Drake Strategies," "Using Griffins," "How Do I Beat Loyalists?", etc. etc.)
Undead Strategies
(more of the same; maybe you'd see a poll like "Do You Ever Use Skeletal Archer?")
Drake Strategies
(you get the idea....)
Loyalist Strategies
Northerner Strategies
Rebel Strategies

In the current state of the forums, you really never know what you're going to find where in terms of strategy; it pops up in seemingly unrelated threads, and a lot of people miss out. You have large, vague category-names like "Tips and Strategies," where you could maybe, for example, find a single long thread about using the Loyalists. The problem is that these threads become swamped with other surrounding unrelated topics, and grow so large that their internal subjects become difficult to separate and make use of, much less respond and contribute to. I would ask the powers that be to consider such a format as I outlined above; it would really do wonders and would make for a clean and pleasant house. :D 8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
unsung

Post by unsung »

i'll keep this short. I play as loyalists alot so this is my advice to drake players:
against the loyalists: 1.take as many villages as possible or the loyalists will mass spearmen.
2. Do not engage spearmen if you can avoid it. even the clashers can be slaegterd by four spearmen in difficult terrain.
3. balance-the clasher is great against horsemen but you need other troops as well
4. do not allow a spearman to level up or you'll have a pikeman slaughtering half your men.
5. do not underestimate horsemen. they can kill many drakes in two hit or less in th eopen plains they will win. this goes of rthe spearmen as well.
and whatever you do NEVER underestiamte the loyalists those puny humans have many pointy stiucks to impale you with. Also, DO NOT ENGAGE ANYTHING BESIDES SWORD UNITS AND HEAVY INFANTRY IN MEELE. speamen and horsemen have piercing attacks and plus horse is mounted spearman has first strike. attack from a range or die and have your scales used for their equipment.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
unsung

Post by unsung »

I agree with paterson.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

Dealing with loyalists is easy.
It really comes down to 2 main things.

1. Get a better economy than him
2. Don't over estimate the faction.

I would suggest using tribalists. If you use them at night focus on getting rid of any horsemen you see.
Mostly you need slashers or skirmishers/tribalists
The clashers don't resist pierce anymore so they are uneffective untill you can upgrade them into slashers.