A New Order units and pictures

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
szopen

A New Order units and pictures

Post by szopen »

Ladies and Gentleman, and here is city militia (based, of course on spearman as one can very easily see). The difference from spearman is just colour scheme and the cap (and the lack of shield).

szopen

Post by szopen »

And here are Akladian Clanmember and Akladian Warrior, based on neoriceisgood pictures:

Disto

Post by Disto »

They aren't actually that bad.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
szopen

Post by szopen »

Disto wrote:They aren't actually that bad.
It's hard to f* up so good pictures for starters :) I couldn't do it probably without using other's work as fundaments. And I realise that clanmember arm is somewhat strange. And he is left-handed, but this is neorice's design :)

EDIT: only after reading what I have posted I realised that this could be read also in quite funny way :) Not editing it out, let others also have some fun...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

szopen wrote:It's hard to f* up so good pictures for starters :)
Why thank you.
szopen wrote:And he is left-handed, but this is neorice's design :)
Actually he's not - units in wesnoth have their images mirrored horizontally for the left and right frames, so "handedness" has no meaning for unit images in this game.
tuppe666

Post by tuppe666 »

I love the disco era represented by Akladian Clanmembe although I think the collar on his purple shirt should be much larger. I think the "Hold Back The Night - The Trammps" dance moves he is quite clearly going for is really appropriate. I sure dave will be prepare to add dance moves animations, assuming there is enough interest in them, I for one look forward to this in wesnoth, but I think it will be stange if only a few character "Get Down". IMO Do not be afraid to show a bit of flesh under his medallion. It WILL help him get into clubs. I think his leg warmers are excellent, even though they are a little out of era, many people loved the megaman elves. OTOH I do think colour of the legwarmers should at least match his shirt.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

what tuppe666 is trying to say is that the colours are a little bit too saturated... :P

try to use coulours a little less bright, it will help...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
szopen

Post by szopen »

tuppe666, i rotfled when reading your answer. Yeah! Disco era in addition to hera era in Wesnoth!

But i decided to do somehting from scratch. Here it is, one picture by one.

After coloring:

FInal versions:

There was soemthing wrong with his shirt, so I added jacket:

And his sword really sucked, so I borrowed a spear from spearman

He still was un-wesnothian, so I added helmet, which sucks BTW.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Musical posts splited from this thread
szopen

Post by szopen »

Soo... New pictures for "A New Order" campaign. These are base pictures I made for practice, so most of them are withou weapons:

Lady Lorin (the hands are borrowed):

Akladian Chieftain:

Akladian CIvilians:

Akladian Warriors (This is based on Orc picture from northerners thread, after modifications by Jetryl):

And this one is IMHO the worst. Mirohidai:

Akladians are all taller than human (40-42 pixels!) have light (blueish) hair, shape of eyes is intentional. They are not civilised, have barbarian taste (painting faces, luxury, gold y'know what I mean).

I counted and it seems I will need circa about 60 pictures :-)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Not bad. It's a pity they're not quite Wesnothish...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
szopen

Post by szopen »

They do not have to be wesnothish. Even emphatically, they should not remind Wesnothian humans or elves :) They are for custom campaign, not intended for inclusion into official campaing pack :))
szopen

Post by szopen »

Akladian lady and animation frames:

defend:

leading:

attack:

Personally I like it, mainly because I did it almost from scratch (only left hand in akl-lady.png is borrowed, everything else is from scratch).
I would have now only correct it for proper position so in wesnoth it wouldn't be shadowed by exp and health bars and so it wouldn't look like she is drowning in circle marking selected unit :)
szopen

Post by szopen »

And this is example how to f* an image. I was really happy with it when I worked on it in Gimp, but when loaded into wesnoth it just looked.. like crap. I spent almost an hour trying to fix colors, increase contrast and whatever and it still does not look right. But I like the head anyway and I will reuse it in another picture for sure.

szopen

Post by szopen »

Aaah Has anyone idea how to made legs properly? Somehow, the upper part and lower part of unit below looks like they belong to two different units. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any advice, beside practicing, practicing, practicing?