Iron Mauler

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CBaoth

Iron Mauler

Post by CBaoth »

personally i think the Iron Mauler is under powdered for a lvl three unit 22-2 attack from 18-2 as lvl two and its health is lower then a lvl two orc grunt...
RAR!!!
aelius

Post by aelius »

I don't believe you're taking into account the Iron Mauler's resistances, which are profound.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
X Shok

Post by X Shok »

The resistances of an Iron Mauler aren't better than that of a Shock Trooper. And 22-2 damage compared to 18-2 isn't that much of an improvement. I think it is true that the advanement from lvl 2 to lvl 3 is really small. Something like 24-2 damage would be more appropiate, I think.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

A Shock Trooper wins against an Iron Mauler about 1/3 of the time. (by comparison, an Elvish Archer wins against an Elvish Marksman about 1/20 of the time.) It's a bit low in power, I suggest increasing its HP by about 8.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Pillager,
Shouldn't you properly compare the Marksman with the Sharpshooter for fair reference? Or even better, a melee unit like the Orcish Warlord with the Orcish Warrior?

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Elvish_Pillager

aelius wrote:Pillager,
Shouldn't you properly compare the Marksman with the Sharpshooter for fair reference? Or even better, a melee unit like the Orcish Warlord with the Orcish Warrior?

- b.
Yes, I should, but I already did the test on the Archer/Marskman, and I don't have the test scenario, and I don't have the time right now to create one.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

I completely agree with X Shok. I think it should be something like 26-2..
Just bored..
Elvish_Pillager

Big Bad Joe wrote:I completely agree with X Shok. I think it should be something like 26-2..
24-2 would be as much damage as any normal level 3 fighter. 26-2 would be as much as the very elite -- Orcish Warlords & Battle Princesses. It's too much for someone in so much armor.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The Heavy Infantry costs 19 gold, and the Orcish Grunt costs 12 gold. Plus, it takes more experience to level the HI to third level than the grunt to third. Are you saying that that extra 7 gold and whatever-amount-of experience is not enough to buy the improved resistances that the HI has, and he must pay with them by doing less damage than the grunt, when he has already paid for it by having worse defence and worse movement, and less speed? That he must in all ways but resistance be worse than the grunt line?

That is how I would look at it, anyway.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

turin wrote:The Heavy Infantry costs 19 gold, and the Orcish Grunt costs 12 gold. Plus, it takes more experience to level the HI to third level than the grunt to third. Are you saying that that extra 7 gold and whatever-amount-of experience is not enough to buy the improved resistances that the HI has, and he must pay with them by doing less damage than the grunt, when he has already paid for it by having worse defence and worse movement, and less speed? That he must in all ways but resistance be worse than the grunt line?

That is how I would look at it, anyway.
I concur.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

maybe just give iron maulers marksman, they are ellite warriors
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

tomsik wrote:maybe just give iron maulers marksman, they are ellite warriors
That would be weird. Marksman is for archers. The name refers to archery.

And how do you swing a mace that big so accurately? You don't. Rather by force.

24-2 sounds very nice, but 26-2 even more so. They are meant to really dominate the battlefields. It even says so in the description.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

22-2 to 26-2 its 8 dmg diffrience, hmm... nice
Disto

Post by Disto »

I say 24-2 they all ready mash undead and are also fairly balanced, you should not try to fully balance them by shooting them out the other side of the line.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
CBaoth

Post by CBaoth »

I think for semi-reality sake he should get marksmen cause honostly if a mase is being swung at you and it hits your armour your screwed
RAR!!!