Heading for 1.0

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Heading for 1.0

Post by Dave »

We are now planning to head aggressively for 1.0.

The most important implication of this is that no new features will enter the engine between now and 1.0. The only code-changes that will be made are for bug-fixes.

We've had the game in development for more than 18 months, and I believe that if a feature hasn't made it in in that time then it really isn't important enough to delay 1.0 for. So, we are cutting off all features immediately.

Addition of more documentation, sounds, animations, and music will still occur, as well as unit balancing.

In fact, we would really love all units to be completely animated with all the animations the engine currently supports, as well as some more and better sounds and music by 1.0.

We also have Dragonking and Noy working on balancing units so that 1.0 multiplayer experience can be a good one, and Doc Paterson is working on putting together the multiplayer maps we will use for 1.0.

We will be releasing 0.9.2 hopefully on friday, and it will be our first step toward 1.0. From there we will have regular releases which we hope our users will test thoroughly and report any bugs that are found.

We will freeze all strings at least 4 weeks before 1.0 is released to give translators a chance to catch up and so that we can deliver 1.0 with some complete translations.

We are also considering which campaigns to use for 1.0, and suggestions in this regard are appreciated. The biggest barrier to adding new user campaigns as official campaigns is the problems with translating them in a short period.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

Good!
Amor omnia vincit.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Yes, sounds very good, both that you stay as leader for longer, and the 1.0 plans :)

That is, personally, I don't like feature freezes, because in another open source project which also is in feature freeze right now, some of my patches were turned down because of it (or rather, I'm free to commit them to an alternate CVS branch, which I'm too lazy to do, installing 2 different CVS versions of it at the same time and so on.. :P) - but anyway, that doesn't belong here.. heading for 1.0 certainly is the right thing to do with Wesnoth.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think this is great news! Hopefully stability and animation will improve. Will Frame's new terrains still make it in when he is done?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Woodwizzle wrote:Will Frame's new terrains still make it in when he is done?
They can make it for 1.0 if they are done in time and don't require any engine changes.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Disto

Post by Disto »

Does this mean that me and shadow have no chance of getting our units in except by custom campaigns?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I guess new units could go in if more / other campaigns go into mainline. I think 1.0 should include most campaigns which are playable, balanced and fitting into the concept by the time a deep freeze occurs.
I don't think that translations are a big blocker there. For one, there's WesCamp-i18n and translations for other campaigns have already begun and it should be possible to have 1.0.x releases with not only bugfixes but also translation updates.

Of course it is a good idea to wait for as much translations as reasonable and don't release when a new translation is only a few days away from completion. If it's away a few weeks, there'll most likely be bug fixes anyway.
Disto

Post by Disto »

A campaign with lv. 3 outlaws would be really useful to get in so that custom campaigns can be small, but then it may need a code change so they aren't used in HttT and change the gameplay.
Creator of the Marauders
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Disto wrote:Does this mean that me and shadow have no chance of getting our units in except by custom campaigns?
I can´t remember if something bigger was added actually. And I don´t really care anymore.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Disto

Post by Disto »

? I do care because i'm going to need to do them to a high standard and when i have spent whatever hours doing them and they are rejected then i don't know what i will do.
Creator of the Marauders
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Disto wrote:A campaign with lv. 3 outlaws would be really useful to get in so that custom campaigns can be small
You are aware of Scott's Level 3 Outlaw unit pack on the Campaign Server?
but then it may need a code change so they aren't used in HttT and change the gameplay.
A code change is not needed. The level 3 outlaws are included if a specific macro is defined -- to use them in your own campaign you just define that macro.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I know, but it does make the campaigns a whole lot larger using them, if they were bundled in with the actual game then it would be easier, as a modem user i nearly always go for the smaller campaigns. And can we have something to tell you the progress of downloading a campaign it is a real pain not knowing how long left of a 2mb campaign.

Oh yeah and also i actual use the outlaw pack in my campaign.
Creator of the Marauders
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Disto wrote:I know, but it does make the campaigns a whole lot larger using them
Why? The whole point of the unit pack is that you can say "if you want to use my campaign, please download the unit pack also". Then someone only needs the unit pack once and it can be used in many different campaigns.
And can we have something to tell you the progress of downloading a campaign it is a real pain not knowing how long left of a 2mb campaign.
Yes. Which is why it was fixed in CVS. See http://changelog.wesnoth.org/
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Ok thanks.
Creator of the Marauders
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Disto wrote:? I do care because i'm going to need to do them to a high standard and when i have spent whatever hours doing them and they are rejected then i don't know what i will do.
I gave up ist´s not worth the afford I will mostly do stuff for scenario designers.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes