Should the high elves support woodelf?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

NightBlade

Should the high elves support woodelf?

Post by NightBlade »

me and my friend both think the high elf looks way cooler than the wood elf, perhapes the developers can make that as a seperate faction(and i mean being able to play as them on multiplayer as well) or mix them with the wood elf.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Most people agree the high elves should eventually become a faction. However, there are some problems with them going in immediately:

1) They are not animated yet. This means they cannot go in, period.

2) They do not have stats yet. This means they cannot go in, period.

3) There are not enough of them to make a faction. There are only, IIRC, 4 1st level units.

3) Some people, like me, wouldn't want to see them on a faction by themselves, because one-race factions are bad. What would they be allied with? Shadow's mercenaries?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

turin wrote: 3) Some people, like me, wouldn't want to see them on a faction by themselves, because one-race factions are bad. What would they be allied with? Shadow's mercenaries?
Mermaids! :D
scott

Post by scott »

High Elves and High Humans. The High faction. :D Nobles of Wesnoth's ancient ruling class, destroyed and scattered to the winds and wandering the earth. They could have even been one race at one point, but the High elves settled in the forest and the High humans became nomadic, and after thousands of years they diverged. Now they have rediscovered each other and made a blood alliance. This all happened on the world's OTHER continent. Now they came to Wesnoth's continent to build a kingdom with dreams of eventually returning home and clearing out whatever currently plagues their home continent. Which is Jedis and Aliens (just kidding).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

scott wrote:Nobles of Wesnoth's ancient ruling class, destroyed and scattered to the winds... have rediscovered each other and made a blood alliance
Scott, this sounds like a great new campaign. When can we expect to start playtesting it? :wink:
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

scott wrote:High Elves and High Humans. The High faction. :D Nobles of Wesnoth's ancient ruling class, destroyed and scattered to the winds and wandering the earth.
Sounds like Shadows Mercenaries. I never intended 'mercenary' to be the final name for them --- they look far too noble for such a role.

While the Lawful High Elves follow the light, the noble humans for the most part turn away from the fanaticism (lawfulness == Asheviere-like) that has plagued humankind; nor do they simply turn that fanatacism against the old ways, as the Outlaws do.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

So following light (lawfulness) can and occasionally does result in corruption for humans but not for [Tolkein-like] high elves. These elves possess some inner characteristic of well-orderedness or tamed appetites that allows them full freedom to act lawfully. Inner peace, maybe. Both the elves and humans of Wesnoth have lost this, although the elves are closer than the humans. The Wesnothian wood elves may have started out like this, but some of the campaigns have given them a more human slant - treachery, self-interest, etc. Would it be safe to say that the high elves retain the characteristic? Then logically the high humans as painted thus far retain it as well, but it would be interesting if they were not necessarily lawful.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

scott wrote:Would it be safe to say that the high elves retain the characteristic? Then logically the high humans as painted thus far retain it as well,
Tolkien's wood-elves did not see the Light of the Trees, nor did any humans, but the High Elves did. Need Wesnoth, with its subliminal-references-to-religion-that-isn't-actually-there, deviate from this mold?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Maybe it feels wrong to have non-fallen humans, but sticking to the mold just to stay in line with the Tolkein order of things isn't absolutely necessary in my opinion. Maybe the religious worldview underlying it is so universally resonant that it seems wrong to deviate from it... I was trying to deviate for variety's sake and to try not to be LOTR for once. Either way is fine with me. It's not my mission to get these guys pinned down in any particular way - just having some fun.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

I still recon combining high elf with eirther human or wood elf(would be better since they are both elf) is still better than having a seperate faction. some wood elf units can be replaced by the high elves. eg. the elf rider replaced by the high elf cavalary( so much better in look yet in strength too), one thing we need to note is the balance between factions is still very important when adding high elf. =)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ankka wrote:
turin wrote: 3) Some people, like me, wouldn't want to see them on a faction by themselves, because one-race factions are bad. What would they be allied with? Shadow's mercenaries?
Mermaids! :D
As amusing as it sounds, yes, that was actually my plan, if only for default.
scott wrote:High Elves and High Humans. The High faction. :D Nobles of Wesnoth's ancient ruling class, destroyed and scattered to the winds and wandering the earth. They could have even been one race at one point, but the High elves settled in the forest and the High humans became nomadic, and after thousands of years they diverged.
Point I'm trying to hammer home, though - they don't live in the forest. They are more like the Teleri, or Noldor, if I have my names right.
They like forests, but just don't live around them.
scott wrote:Now they have rediscovered each other and made a blood alliance.
and it required a LOT of blood =)
scott wrote:This all happened on the world's OTHER continent. Now they came to Wesnoth's continent to build a kingdom with dreams of eventually returning home and clearing out whatever currently plagues their home continent. Which is Jedis and Aliens (just kidding).
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

yea but i recon both elf and loyalist need some improvment, how about high elf in both factions? but only the required units in each, then the blood alliance would make more sense. elf + human + high elf.
Dreadwing

Post by Dreadwing »

elf + human more like Dark elf....but since Loyalist are good I guess that make since.
Anyways give them Mermaid Initiate if they become a faction.