The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jyhem

Post by Jyhem »

Hmmm, I just got to "Seeking the Sage" (4)
and Ethiliel is nowhere to be found.
She also does not speak, so the whole scenario
objective is a little hazy
aelius

Post by aelius »

Thanks for the catch. Goofy mistake at the end of A Desperate Errand. Fixed and uploaded.

You'll probably need to play A Desparate Errand over again, unfortunately. An event was killing Ethiliel at the end and it didn't mean to...

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, watching the replay of a save very near the end should work. Watching the replay makes the game use the WML in the scenario file, instead of that in the save file. This is why replays become corrupted much more easily than normal save files.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jyhem

Post by Jyhem »

turin wrote:Actually, watching the replay of a save very near the end should work. Watching the replay makes the game use the WML in the scenario file, instead of that in the save file. This is why replays become corrupted much more easily than normal save files.
Yes, that's true (and I knew it) but Aelias also took into account my previous post, so the name of the scenario (or map?) changed and the replay is unusable.

I'd rather play it again (and save my experienced merman
hunter) than waste time hand editing the replay file. :-D
Jyhem

Post by Jyhem »

in data/campaigns/The_South_Guard/scenarios/4.Seeking_The_Sage.cfg
"
[message]
description= Ethiliel
"
-->
"
[message]
description=Ethiliel
"
(I suppose that's it. I still got no message from Ethiliel,
but she is there
aelius

Post by aelius »

Yep. That's it. Another good catch. Looks like that was a change in the WML parser with 0.9.0

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

I am playing The South Guard for the first time now. Both my campaign file and my wesnoth version are outdated, so you may choose to ignore the following bugs, if appropriate.

stats:
XP
wesnoth 0.8.11 (yes, I'll start using 0.9.1 soon)
campaign version: ? (where can I look this up)
level: hard

bugs encountered so far:
  • the name of the second scenario was not changed in the first scenario file after the scenario rename. I assume you must have noticed this yourself already. I changed my copy of the file myself, and then all went well.

In the dialogue following the defeat of the enemy leader in the second scenario, the same guy answers a question, asks one, and answers his own question. I feel a bit stupid about this one, because I cannot understand how the .cfg file translates to this behaviour. In the file:

Code: Select all

[message]
		speaker =Minister Hylas
		message= _ "Just before the bandit raids began, an ambassador came to from the elves of the wood west of here.  He asked that a knight be sent to discuss a new threat to Wesnoth."
	[/message]

[message]
		speaker =Deoran
		message= _ "And did Sir Loris go to the elves?"
	[/message]

[message]
		speaker =Minister Hylas
		message= _ "No.  He suspected the elves of some trickery and made no reply to them.  Perhaps they know the origin of these dead warriors we now face."
	[/message]
  • with the result: (see attachment)
I must be doing something stupid here, but I don't know what. As far as I can tell, I am playing the same version as I'm inspecting the .cfg file of. I only downloaded the campaign once. Anyway, I'm at the 5th level now. I'll keep you informed about anything that looks weird.
Attachments
ligwynryn.png
ligwynryn.png (46.67 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
Amor omnia vincit.
aelius

Post by aelius »

I'd really suggest moving to 0.9.1 - it's a huge improvement over the 0.8.x series. There have also been lots of changes to South Guard too. It may be the case that the bug you're seeing is becuase of the line:

speaker =Deoran
Try making it:

speaker=Deoran
without the space and see if that helps it. Definitely make the jump to the 0.9.x series as soon as possible though!

- b.
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

Allright, I will download the newer version. :)
Amor omnia vincit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

"speaker=Deoran" even without the space shouldn't do anything... you need "description=Deoran".

Or have you found a way to define speakers?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
LCJr

Post by LCJr »

First try with this campaign and I get the following error message when starting it up. However it still goes into the first mission. One of the unfinished missions maybe?

Warning: Errors occured while loading game configuration files: Found invalid closing tag event (line 27549)(line 27592, column 8)
Found invalid closing tag for tag event (line 27549)(line 27593, column 10)

Campaign version 0.8.3
Wesnoth version windows-9.1a
OS Win2K Pro

edit>Looks like Win9.1a is broken. I'll get 9.1b tonight and see what happens.
Last edited by LCJr on May 2nd, 2005, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

I downloaded the new Wesnoth and the new South Guard.

I got the same problem as LCJr, only the line numbers are different.

27647 27690, column 8
27647 27690, column 10

And (as you know), my OS is XP (not that I think that has anything to do with it)

Edit: and in the first scenario, the sprite for the non-moving Deoran seems to be missing. Nice graphics for the bandit's face though.

Edit (again): the sprite file seems to be in the directory. On first sight, everything seems to be as it should. But then again, I don't know much about the stuff.
Amor omnia vincit.
aelius

Post by aelius »

stormoog wrote:Edit: and in the first scenario, the sprite for the non-moving Deoran seems to be missing. Nice graphics for the bandit's face though.
The portraits come from Jason Lutes, whose work is outstanding.
Edit (again): the sprite file seems to be in the directory. On first sight, everything seems to be as it should. But then again, I don't know much about the stuff.
I believe this will be solved if you quit Wesnoth and open it again. When you download a new campaign with new graphics you often have to quit and reload before they show. If that's not the issue, there may be some problem, and I'll look into it.

Also, the bug Wesnoth generates comes from an event in Vengeance, the last scenario of the Elven branch. I've posted a question about it, but haven't had time to really dig into it.

- b.
Jyhem

Post by Jyhem »

I am now in The Long March and I can't see Urza Afalas, and
I can't see him talk in the beginning either.
I tried removing some spaces after some equal signs, but no luck (I don't know WML, so it's all about making guesses, so don't take my word for it)

I like the effort you make in actually having a story and varied kinds of scenarios (more varied than "ok, you beat drakes, now to undead, then orcs, then..."). :-D

--
J'ai le droit d'exiger l'obéissance parce que mes ordres sont raisonnables
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

aelius wrote:I believe this will be solved if you quit Wesnoth and open it again. When you download a new campaign with new graphics you often have to quit and reload before they show.
It worked. Thanks. Getting a bit curious though why wesnoth does that. As if it loads all the main images into another file at startup, but not the derived versions (*-attack.png etc.).
Amor omnia vincit.