Thank You, Oh Thank You!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JimmieBJr

Thank You, Oh Thank You!

Post by JimmieBJr »

Thank you, Oh Mr. Windows Compiler Man for compiling 0.9.1 for us.

I have waited long (well, long in Internet Years) and patiently and now I have been rewarded. :)

I have New Wesnoth Glee.
JimmieBJr

Post by JimmieBJr »

Or not...

A fresh install freezes my system and I have to hit the Task manager to stop the program so I can have my computer back.

Ah well, I still have the older version. Thanks for trying, anyhow.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Hmm...at what step exactly does it freeze your system? How long did you wait before you decided it was 'frozen'?

You could perhaps try completely removing your old install before the new install, though that shouldn't be necessary.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
JimmieBJr

Post by JimmieBJr »

I did a complete uninstall, then made sure the folder was completely gone, then installed the new version. it froze things up, so I uninstalled and reinstalled - same problem.

I first tried to load an existing saved game, but that gave me a whole line of errors. So I tried to start a brand new campaign and that's when the freeze happened. Even after completely uninstalling and deleting, then reinstalling, it would freeze at that point.

I waited about ten minutes and my mouse refused to move before I decided completely that it was frozen.

Even starting up, it took longer than I expected - a couple minutes.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

How could you load an existing game if you completely deleted the folder?

Can you try to run until it freezes, and then post the contents of stderr.txt from the wesnoth directory?

Is anyone else experiencing similiar problems? It sometimes takes a little while (like a minute) to start a campaign the first time on my machine, but not ten minutes. Still, you might like to give it longer, just to be sure it's not just taking a while.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay, looking into it I believe this is a problem with us having switched to C++ streams for reading files, and Microsoft's library for doing that being horribly slow.

Can you try waiting a REALLY long time (just let your computer run, trying to start a campaign -- maybe for an hour or more)?

Once you've started a campaign once, it should be cached and relatively fast the second time.

We will, of course, fix this one way or another.

David
Jkun

Post by Jkun »

Mine started in less than thirty seconds. It was annoying, but hardly game-breaking.
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

JimmieBJr wrote:I tried to start a brand new campaign and that's when the freeze happened.
I had the same problem.
JimmieBJr

Post by JimmieBJr »

Dave wrote:How could you load an existing game if you completely deleted the folder?
I tried doing that first and it froze. I figured that saved games from the prior versions might be causing a problem. So I uninstalled the whole thing and deleted the leftover folders. I reinstalled, started a new campaign, and got the freeze again. I uninstalled, deleted the leftovers, and gave it up for the day. ;)

As it happens, I'm not getting the problem now. I may well have gotten a bad download. I deleted the copy of the .exe file I had, downloaded a fresh one, installed it and it seems to be running stably. It does take longer than I'd expect (about 90 seconds) to load a campaign, but once it's loaded, I don't see any problems.

I'm guessing that my download got banged up somewhere between thee and me. That or the Windows Gremlins just decided to screw with me.

Thanks for looking into it. I'll let you know if I get a freeze again, but as of this evening, so far so good.
anurag

dead

Post by anurag »

i did like to add that my wesnoth is running *very* slow...it takes almost ages..to start the tutorials,campaign and other stuff....its also scrolling very slow

i got a question...when you download a campaign from the online server is it supposed to show how much is done :?: ....and it takes foever for it to cancel a download....rather just endtask and restart the game.

Anu
alittlewoodelfe

Post by alittlewoodelfe »

Dave wrote:Okay, looking into it I believe this is a problem with us having switched to C++ streams for reading files, and Microsoft's library for doing that being horribly slow.

Can you try waiting a REALLY long time (just let your computer run, trying to start a campaign -- maybe for an hour or more)?
I have wait a long time (well one or two minutes in fact) and yes it start. So I think you have found the problem.
gabba
Inactive Developer

Post by gabba »

I think the game did freeze on me once, but I tried again and it loaded fine after 1 or 2 minutes. On the positive side, it seems that unit movement is much smoother now in accelerated mode.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

My 2 cents. I went to multiplayer, selected play against the ai and pressed ok. It froze and after a few minutes I did a hard reboot. (it also changed my graphics from 32 bit to 16 bit, thought that was somewhat weird.) Then I tried it again and it came on after about one minute.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

See http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5755 for a new Windows binary that should resolve this problem.

David