Generic Unit Portraits

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The grand knight obviously has a lot of filigree carved into his armor. Having a flower design carved into his shoulder pad isn't that uncommong. And I like the purple color design, its' a nice variation from the standard metal colored helmets. And I like how higher level units get more colorful and ornate.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

quartex wrote:The grand knight obviously has a lot of filigree carved into his armor. Having a flower design carved into his shoulder pad isn't that uncommong. And I like the purple color design, its' a nice variation from the standard metal colored helmets. And I like how higher level units get more colorful and ornate.
I'll have you know I've been strongly considering unifying our human color scheme.

At the very least, I'd be switching a few level-3 units to purple. One would be the Master Bowman, the other would be the Grand Knight. The longbowman would be red, then.

This is just in terms of highlights, though. The halberdier would also receive some purple highlights in place of his current orange highlights. The grand knight's change would come mostly in the color of the cloth over his horse.

All of these changes would come with the related height corrections and animation improvements.
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Disto wrote:Is it just me or has the grand knight got a flower on his left shoulderpad.
Yep, that's a flower. Floral ornamentation and detailing is the most common you'll find on medieval armor. Not manly enough for ya? :D
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

Those portraits are awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing them in the game.

Jetryl: What about the fencer's hair? Will it be changed?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Draconio wrote:Those portraits are awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing them in the game.

Jetryl: What about the fencer's hair? Will it be changed?
OT, but, who knows at the current point in time. The important thing is that the fencer *looks* fine right now, so he's low on my priority list. His biggest saving grace is that his "hair," just like the old hair of the thief, looks more like a purple hat with (also purple) lace streaming off it than it does hair.

The fencer is well animated, whereas the human bowmen and L2&3 human spearmen are terribly animated.
capitol

Post by capitol »

One little bit of feedback on the thug.

My experience with masking myself (for political demonstrations and such) is that it's really hard to breath when the cloth covers both you nose and your mouth.

The solution I have used is to have a bit of cloth that is a little bit shorter so that it ends just below your chin. That way you don't get the CO2 buildup beneath the cloth and can still do physiqual taxing stuff like running and so on.

I would suggest that the thug's facecloth is shortend a little.

And btw good job :)
"The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

capitol wrote:One little bit of feedback on the thug.

My experience with masking myself (for political demonstrations and such) is that it's really hard to breath when the cloth covers both you nose and your mouth.

The solution I have used is to have a bit of cloth that is a little bit shorter so that it ends just below your chin. That way you don't get the CO2 buildup beneath the cloth and can still do physiqual taxing stuff like running and so on.

I would suggest that the thug's facecloth is shortend a little.

And btw good job :)
True, perhaps, but irrelevant. The graphic *looks* fine and that is far more important. I'd rather Mr. Lutes spent his time working on more graphics, rather than on refining this existing one.

Another solution - Just use a more porous cloth, like silk. An experienced thief could get his hands on a single silk kerchief, and he'd only need it when the job is being done. Even a more lacy, loose-woven cloth would also suitably hide the features. This may be a good suggestion for you, capitol - from my own experience, I agree that breathing can be hindered by using a tight-woven cotton cloth.
capitol

Post by capitol »

Jetryl: good points :)
"The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children."
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Jetryl, thanks for laying down the law :D . Good things to consider for future posters.

I appreciate your comment, though, capitol. I try to find a balance between realism and visual appeal in my drawings, but visual appeal will always win when it's a toss-up. That's why the Grand Knight is wearing jousting armor :D . My original for the Outlaw actually had him wearing a kerchief, but I changed it because it didn't look "cool" enough. I may try to redraw the kerchief version though, based on your comment.
Jkun

Post by Jkun »

Excellent work. Just what Wesnoth needs.

Keep it up, I'm very excited to see these in-game one day.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Looking cool is definitely more important than realism. Becuase this is a fantasy world, I can create a fantasy explanation for almost anything that seems "unrealistic".
Belwar

Post by Belwar »

isnt that what fanticy is all about, not being realistic while being realistic
Bivrip!!

plese do not yell at me for any misspelled errors!
evil_green

Elves and the Thug.

Post by evil_green »

The Elves to me are getting better, but have you considered a more square jaw (for the gent) and perhaps less sloping shoulders? That might help give them more of a tragic, noble air.

One critique of the Thug portrait: the outside line of his head is too generous with the curves, methinks. It makes him look too chubby. What about just toning down the three arcs that constitute that side of his face?
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Completed Thug line posted to official portraits thread.
evil_green

The Official Thugs

Post by evil_green »

They look bad-ass. Cheers!