Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Generic Unit Portraits

Post by Jason Lutes »

I have decided to try to create generic unit portraits for all of the units in the game (slowly over time, of course). The idea is to create a pool of portraits that scenario designers can use for in-game dialogue. I will try to capture the feeling and look of the terrific unit sprites, in an attempt to have some consistency between the way the units and their portraits look. Sketches will be posted here for feedback.

I would like to start with those units that are most commonly used, which I assume are the human units. I encourage campaign designers to post their requests for particular units (human or otherwise), so I can get an idea of what's needed and start to fill those gaps.

On that note, Aelius has requested a Horseman or Lancer unit for his "South Guard" campaign, so I started working on the Horseman line. Here's what I have so far:

Left to right: Horseman, Knight, Lancer.

Any feedback is appreciated. I think I have settled on this basic drawing style, however, so that's not up for discussion.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Knight looks just like Polish hussar. Just add the wings and lyon's fur and you'll get perfect early XVI century Polish winged hussar :)

And seriously, i like it (but i am just a player). I imagine they would be used in dialogues where now are just "unit" images, right?
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Hmm, I have to say, after having seen these excellent sketches of the humans, I'm more than a little curious what your take on, say, an orc would be.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Generic Unit Portraits

Post by Dave »

Jason Lutes wrote:I have decided to try to create generic unit portraits for all of the units in the game
Great! This will be an excellent improvement.
Jason Lutes wrote: I would like to start with those units that are most commonly used, which I assume are the human units.
Elves are also very commonly used. Portraits for the Orcish Warlord and Orcish Warrior would also be very nice, since they are often used as enemy leaders with dialog in campaigns.

Thank you for undertaking this important work!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

The lancer image's helmet looks like a lower-level one than the horseman's one... Or at least I think it does.

On the other hand, I have no idea what else it could be... :?
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I really like the lancer and knight, but the horseman is just a tad too young/cute.
scott

Post by scott »

I think they look spectacular. The style is just right. I also thought the round cap was more for the horseman since his sprite has a round helmet, but either way works.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

I think the Lancer is the most problematic for sure -- he needs some work because he doesn't look on par with the Knight, but from scrutinizing the unit graphic he looks like he's wearing very light armor (for the sake of speed, I assume). I'll fiddle around with him some more.

Regarding the young/cute issue, the basic idea is to have the level 1 units look young and the higher level units look older. I take the point about it being too cute -- if enough people object I'll reduce that aspect of lower level units' appearance.

As far as the Horseman's more pointy helmet goes, I could round it off if that seems more appropriate. The unit graphics overall do have a more "rounded" look in general, which is why I gave myself some leeway in that department.

Here's the approach to coloring that I've started to fool around with:

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I think they look really good, but I will put down a vote for less cute.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

frame wrote:I think they look really good, but I will put down a vote for less cute.
I agree. These are great, but I am more in favor of less cute. These are soldiers, after all.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jason Lutes wrote:Regarding the young/cute issue, the basic idea is to have the level 1 units look young and the higher level units look older. I take the point about it being too cute -- if enough people object I'll reduce that aspect of lower level units' appearance.
I personally like a number of the things you're doing to make them look younger, and I *do* want them to look younger.

I think the move that would most reduce the "cuteness" whilst retaining as much of the "youth" as possible would be the removal of the upturned/button nose.

For a rather direct demonstration of what I mean, I did a little copy/paste with the nose from the knight, and I think it does everything necessary.
Jason Lutes wrote:As far as the Horseman's more pointy helmet goes, I could round it off if that seems more appropriate. The unit graphics overall do have a more "rounded" look in general, which is why I gave myself some leeway in that department.
Don't. Keep doing what you are doing now - the sprites can only be so detailed - you're doing exactly the right thing by adding in detail that isn't there in the sprites.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Darth Fool wrote:
frame wrote:I think they look really good, but I will put down a vote for less cute.
I agree. These are great, but I am more in favor of less cute. These are soldiers, after all.
I disagree. Wesnoth is supposed to be "cute".
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Good suggestion on the nose, Jetryl. The below version was done before I read your post, but I'll probably alter the nose more for the final.

The lancer now has a hard helmet instead of the leather thing I gave him before. I'm thinking the Paladin will have the same armor color as the Horseman -- sort of silvery -- and the Grand Knight will be silver and gold with maybe some blue or purple thrown in.

Left to right: Horseman (revised), Lancer (revised), Paladin, Grand Knight.

Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

They're all excellent. I do hope the 'rejects' are kept, because they are still quite good enough for use as 'alternate' graphics - such as the junior horseman in the troop, for example. I do particularly like the original lancer.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Mein gott the grand knight looks sexy, Which unit will be next?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag