Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Here's a revised version of Kogw:

Also, I did a couple of sketches of generic unit portraits, to test my idea about trying to make portraits that are in keeping with the feel of the unit sprites. Here are sketches for the Footpad and Outlaw:

I know some people may not like this more "cute" look, but I thought I'd see what the consensus is. Should I run a poll to see if there's enough interest in this art style?
dms

Post by dms »

These are looking really awesome! :D
Belwar

Post by Belwar »

i concur
Bivrip!!

plese do not yell at me for any misspelled errors!
varradami

Post by varradami »

Jason Lutes wrote:I know some people may not like this more "cute" look, but I thought I'd see what the consensus is. Should I run a poll to see if there's enough interest in this art style?
I think it looks really good. Nice work! :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jason Lutes wrote:Great coloring work, Jetryl! So, do I have you to praise for most of the game's sprites? They are fantastic.
Thanks. Of the sprites, the basic layout goes as follows:

Francisco Muñoz created our original set of sprites.
Neoriceisgood created the drakes.
I revised/replaced most of the elves completely, and created almost all of the mermen/naga.
I also revised a good number of the human units - the mages were an original work of mine. I also made the current graphics for the woses.
Many minor contributors have made other sprites to fill in the gaps. At least half of these underwent heavy editing on my behalf.

Also, more notably than anything else, I've done a hideous amount of rather thankless work animating half of our sprites, and cleaning up various inconsistencies. It needed to be done, and no one else was going to do it. I'm also *solely* responsible for the magic animations of the humans, mermaids, and elves.

(so, now you know).
Jason Lutes wrote:How hard/time-consuming is coloring for you? It occurs to me if I were to try my hand at general unit portraits, it would be a lot quicker if we could work out an assembly-line method. I can imagine really plowing through them if I didn't have to worry about coloring (which is a weak spot for me).
*mudder* :? I can color the unit portraits for main characters in short order, but right now I really have some schoolwork to attend to, so that is all I can do, and I can only really do it on the weekends.

Coloring was one of my weakest points, but it has gradually become something I am good at.
You wouldn't believe how bad I was at that when I joined the project...

Truth be told, I actually wouldn't mind doing the coloring of a full set of portraits, if you were willing to draw them. First, it would get the job done, and second, it would give me a serious shot of practice. I imagine by the time I got done with that, that I would be pretty darned good at coloring in basic line drawings, a skill which I am sure will come in handy.
Jason Lutes wrote:Also, if I were to take that on, I would want to figure out what the most desirable style is -- the above somewhat cartoony, more "realistic," or more in the style of the sprites/Fire Emblem. Perhaps a poll is in order? How is that sort of question usually resolved? Personally, I would be in favor of using a style that closely matches the sprites.
Do what you want to do. Neo has done a series which is very close to the appearance of the sprites.

I should note that the mild "anime/manga" influence our current portraits and such have was done on my part in deference to our previous art lead - Francisco Muñoz, who had wanted to have manga-style portraits. I somehow question the wisdom of my having done so, at this point.

If you were to ask my own opinion, I would opt for the style you did the second portrait of Kogw in. I'm not especially good at doing line-based graphics myself - at least not in my own reckoning, and I have to tip the hat towards a true master.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Jason Lutes wrote: Also, I did a couple of sketches of generic unit portraits, to test my idea about trying to make portraits that are in keeping with the feel of the unit sprites. Here are sketches for the Footpad and Outlaw:
I always pictured the outlaw a lot older than the footpad... more seasoned and tougher.
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Jetryl wrote:Also, more notably than anything else, I've done a hideous amount of rather thankless work animating half of our sprites, and cleaning up various inconsistencies. It needed to be done, and no one else was going to do it. I'm also *solely* responsible for the magic animations of the humans, mermaids, and elves.
Well, allow me this opportunity to thank you, sir. That is indeed an unimaginable amount of work for one person.

Also, kudos all around to the other sprite masters -- the unit graphics really are great.
Jetryl wrote:Truth be told, I actually wouldn't mind doing the coloring of a full set of portraits, if you were willing to draw them. First, it would get the job done, and second, it would give me a serious shot of practice. I imagine by the time I got done with that, that I would be pretty darned good at coloring in basic line drawings, a skill which I am sure will come in handy.
Good to hear. No I'll see if I can work such a sizable drawing task into into my schedule.
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

Jason Lutes wrote:I know some people may not like this more "cute" look, but I thought I'd see what the consensus is. Should I run a poll to see if there's enough interest in this art style?
I prefer less "cute", but the quality of the artwork is good. :D
aelius

Post by aelius »

Jason,
What you've done so far is fantastic. If I could put in a request, I'd love a portrait of a Horseman or a Lancer for my campaign (The South Guard). Your style fits the hero character perfectly.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kowg looks much better from the new perspective, I think. :)

Keep up the good work.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Kowg: Aye, lad. Someday I'll tell'ee 'ow I come to lose me second parrot. Aharr.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yarr:
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Awesome, Jetryl! Great shading.

I would suggest maybe toning down the brightness/saturation of the reds and blues and yellows, and lessening the shiny factor some. But I tend to like a toned-down, simplified approach in general, so let's hear what others have to say. Also, that area between his chin and collar is supposed to be his neck, so you might want to make that a shaded "flesh" area.

I may try to do a colored pencil version too, just to test that approach. But this is very cool!
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

We can keep talking about main character art here, but I've started up another thread to specifically discuss the creation of generic unit portraits. It's here.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jason Lutes wrote:Awesome, Jetryl! Great shading.
Thanks.
Jason Lutes wrote:I would suggest maybe toning down the brightness/saturation of the reds and blues and yellows, and lessening the shiny factor some. But I tend to like a toned-down, simplified approach in general, so let's hear what others have to say.
FYI, the "coloring/shading" style I'm emulating is this guy's: http://www.applegeeks.com/
It's not my own style, but then, line art at all is not my style.

That said, I actually do agree with you on the whole saturation front - I'm trying to be a good boy here and conform to the senseless tastes of the masses, but by golly if you don't demand a set of oversaturated primaries as the color set of the piece, I'm more than happy not to make that.

I've had some artistic disagreements with some people here who grew up on nintendo games, and I don't agree with their choices in colors. I projected them onto you, when in fact you might be more like me in color theory.
Jason Lutes wrote:Also, that area between his chin and collar is supposed to be his neck, so you might want to make that a shaded "flesh" area.
It is, but the fact that it is surrounded by his coat, and primarily lit by diffuse light reflected off of his coat makes it take on a lot of the color of his coat.
Jason Lutes wrote:I may try to do a colored pencil version too, just to test that approach. But this is very cool!