Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Any Campaign Art Needed?

Post by Jason Lutes »

Hi,

New to Wesnoth and really enjoying it so far. You folks have created something really special here, and I feel lucky to have been pointed in this direction by someone on another forum.

I make my living as an artist and I'm interested in contributing to the game in some way. I think the best things for me to tackle would be the character portraits that are displayed along with in-game dialogues, or "story art" that shows up between missions on campaigns.

I would post samples of my work, but I can employ different styles and none of my professional work really suits the style of the game. So I thought the best thing to do would be to get an idea of what's needed, work up some samples, and post them for review.

So, the question is, where is the greatest need for illustrative artwork in the game? I would prefer to work on something that is done or close to done, as opposed to "in the works." Is there some great, completed campaign somewhere that needs to be filled out with some art?

Thanks for any response.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Hi, and welcome!

I guess more or less all campaigns besides Heir to the Throne and The Rise of Wesnoth are in need of story art.

The individual campaign maintainers will have to give you the details of what is needed.
scott

Post by scott »

I have a campaign called "Liberty", and I would like character portraits and one scenery drawing. It would easier for me and overall more effective to communicate what I need if you played the campaign through (even on easy), but it would be quicker for you if I just took some time to describe the characters' personalities and appearnce in a quick writeup.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

scott wrote:I have a campaign called "Liberty", and I would like character portraits and one scenery drawing. It would easier for me and overall more effective to communicate what I need if you played the campaign through (even on easy), but it would be quicker for you if I just took some time to describe the characters' personalities and appearnce in a quick writeup.
Hey Scott,

I'll start playing your campaign this evening and maybe we can start talking about the art soon.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The main campaign (Heir to the Throne) still needs art....but I'll leave it to Jetryl to say whether it'd be appropriate for you to work on that or not.

There are several campaigns you could probably work on that are well on their way to being finished. Quartex's "Under the Burning Suns" is one that comes to mind.

Another idea that comes to mind though is this: I think it'd be cool if there was some 'desktop wallpaper' for Wesnoth, that people could download and put on their desktops. This would give you the creative freedom to draw what you want, produce something that is immediately useful (I'd love to have a nice Wesnoth desktop background both at home, and at work, and I bet other people would too), and give the Wesnoth community an idea of the skills and talent you have to offer.

Then once we've got a good idea of your skills, I'm sure we could find plenty of stuff for you to do.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jason Lutes
Art Contributor

Post by Jason Lutes »

Thanks for the suggestions, Dave! I'll keep the wallpaper option in mind, although I will probably need to keep my contributions to bite-size chunks, and a wallpaper seems like a sizable job.

I haven't drawn in a "fantasy" style for a long time, so I'm pretty rusty. But just to give you an idea of where I'm at, skill-wise, here's a version of Konrad I did earlier today, just as practice:

Note that this is based directly on the existing portrait of Konrad, so the original artist deserves credit for the costume design.

I'm not very happy with my coloring on the computer, so I might get better results if I just draw the originals with colored pencil and then scan them in. I'll probably experiment some more to see what will work best.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Your Picture of Konrad is really great and a new and different style for Wesnoth. I hope you are able to produce some nice graphics in the nearer future so that there is more great artwork in Wesnoth. And don't be depressed, when there are some harsh comments in the forum, but here are some guys that are very critical. There are for sure many more users that do not write in here but will really like your graphics.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

It looks awesome!

I`m looking forward for seeing more of your work.
Last edited by Burnsaber on April 23rd, 2005, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Looks very good :)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Maybe someday we can have a gallery of a 101 portraits of konrad. Okay, we only have 4 right now (fmunoz's, pickslide's, jetryl's and your's), but it's interesting how different each style is. It's a good portrait. I can't quite pin the style, but it doesn't seem very fantasy. It almost seems more like a modern more realistic style. It's cool how each artist can draw the same portrait, but have it look completly different.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Why it does not look fantasy? Because it's not manga? :)))
My first reaction when i saw Wesnoth art was "OMG! Another manga graphics!" It's not that I have anything against, but it is sometimes quite tiresome to see manga-like and anime0like drawings everywhere.

For my, it's very fantasy - looking. Mabe because I was raised on vallejo, frazetta, royo, and pf course nasmith (though i don't like nasmith).. well.. and all others like burns, alan lee and angus mcbride :)

But then, for those youngsters McBride proabbly also looks too modern :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I actually thought it didn't look "fantasy enough" because the style used looks like that of a modern cartoon, not of fantasy...

Still, its pretty good, for being in that style.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I need three portraits: two for Malakar and one for Kogw.

1. Malakar (Drake Worker)
2. Malakar (Drake Flare/Flameheart)
3. Kogw (Pirate/Pirate Captain)

Less important are two more:
1. the Unforgiver (Pirate Galleon)
2. Kamalar (Drake Flameheart)

Malakar is a drake who the leader of his tribe. He is a skilled tactician, but he is ill-tempered and nasty. And, like all members of his tribe, he hates humans.

Kogw is a human pirate. He is a seasoned seaman, but he is also a pirate, so I don't want him to look too wise.

The Unforgiver is the flagship of Kogw's pirate fleet.

Kamalar is a drake. He is the high priest of Gar-Dalgar, the Murderer (one of the gods of the drakes). He is an old and wise being, but I want his face partially mutilated and tatooed (he is a priest, after all).

Yes, I know that is probably too much to ask, although I will use anything I can get.

Also, I know that this isn't your speciality, but I also need a time-of-day image (the image showing the time-of-day, found in the upper right corner) for an indoors environment.

Thanks in advance for anything!

EDIT: I have removed some requests after turin informed me that I don't need portraits for each level, but I would still like to have two for Malakar (one as a Worker and one as a Flare/Flameheart), because he is enslaved as a Worker.

PS. I have attached images of the Pirate and the Pirate Captain, and images for the others can be found at http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi .
Attachments
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain
pirate-captain.png (1.84 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
Pirate
Pirate
pirate.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
Last edited by MadMax on April 23rd, 2005, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jason Lutes wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, Dave! I'll keep the wallpaper option in mind, although I will probably need to keep my contributions to bite-size chunks, and a wallpaper seems like a sizable job.
Wow, I'm glad you showed up. :D

Right now, we have two artists working on HttT - one named pickslide, who is working heavily (he has almost half of it done, now), and me.

Of our other campaigns, the big, finished/polished ones that are outstanding in a "need of art" are as follows:

Scott's "Liberty"
Quartex's "Under the Burning Suns"

There are others you could work on, that are in the "get more campaigns" tab. I'm not sure what's going on with Circon's "The Dark Hordes" campaign - pickslide might be doing some work there. Benj's "Son of the Black Eye" campaign has recieved a ton of art for unit pictures from a mysterious artist known only as neoriceisgood, but work there has stalled - one really cool thing Neo *could* do would be to draw some storyline pictures. *hint* *hint*

However, the two I have listed above will allow you to work with a blank slate, and will guarantee you won't be duplicating other artist's work.

We have very few artists, and duplication of work is a waste of a limited and valuable resource (also, it can, and has, ticked people off to the point of driving them away, in the past).
Last edited by Jetrel on April 23rd, 2005, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax, it seems a bit ambitious to have a different portrait for each level; no other campaign has that. :)

One portrait per character might actually be better, so you don't think a new character has been introduced when he levels.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm