I tried to make a level 3 duelist

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Attila

I tried to make a level 3 duelist

Post by Attila »

I got bored and decided to work on learning to pixel draw. So I decided to attempt a level 3 duelist. I'm not particuarlly thrilled will it, but it was a try. Yes he uses a gun. My thoughts on guns in Wesnoth are that they are ok in the few places it would make sense. I felt that a rich, aristocrat type would be able to afford such expensive machinery. The animations are as follows:

Normal
Defnesive
Melee Attack
Range Attack 1
Range Attack 2
Range Attack 3
Glove Slap :P

note: there is a preceeding melee animation, but i forgot to put it in the picture, and now im tired.
Attachments
l3-duelist-animated.png
l3-duelist-animated.png (11.11 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Ya know, it looks pretty good actually. Maybe him thrusting would look better then slashing, after all it is a rapier.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Attila

Post by Attila »

i don't know, i might need to screw with his stance. Also he looks alot like the duelist, this might call for a color change...

And he doesn't have a name.
Bander

Post by Bander »

Yeah, he looks like the duelist's big brother.
Call him the Musketeer (because that is what duelists look like) or the skirmisher or something...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Nope, the gun isn't acceptable. He needs a crossbow. The reason is there is NO SUCH THING as a gun in wesnoth, at least no such thing as a pistol-like gun. THe only guns are the large, cumbersome ones the dwarvish thunderers have.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

A complete colour change is needed at least for him to look really different.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
scott

Post by scott »

Or some new art that looks different from the Duelist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Doros

Post by Doros »

I think you should give him a different hat and maybe a different shirt color. Also, maybe a bigger crossbow than the duelist.
Attila

Post by Attila »

I recolored it and gave him a bandana and decided to call him the muskiteer (if I can figure out how to spell it)

Personally, I'm quite fond of the pistol. What is the official Wesnoth DOGMA about guns in the game. I think it looks better and makes sense.
Attachments
musketeer.png
musketeer.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
Belwar

Post by Belwar »

i think that this pic looks good now you just have to use a crossbow cause this is a medievel game and there were no such things as handguns
Bivrip!!

plese do not yell at me for any misspelled errors!
AT

Post by AT »

The 'Offical' word is that the Duelist line has crossbows, but if you really are looking for a fight, you could argue that the LVL3 would have a gun.

IMHO, its not worth the fight.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Attila

Post by Attila »

AT wrote:The 'Offical' word is that the Duelist line has crossbows, but if you really are looking for a fight, you could argue that the LVL3 would have a gun.

IMHO, its not worth the fight.
It's a shame, I think that the pistol looks better and makes sense with the level 3 (as, IMHO it does with the cavalier), but I'm not up for an arguement. I'll animate the rest if people like how it looks.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Ya, good thing your not in for an argument, cause you'd loose so badly, you wouldn't post anything again for a month :wink:

His colors look pretty good, except for the black background, I don't like backgrounds, it makes them too hard to work with, and you can't always see as well. Instead of Musketeer, try somthing like, Matere'd'arms (spell?)
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

For a name, 'Champion' would be most appropriate (true profressional duelists often served as champions for others in matters of honor), but that's obviously taken by the Elvish Champion. How about 'Master Swordsman'? That clashes a bit with the level 2 swordsman, but...
Author of Wercator
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I gave it an attempt to do graphics for a level 3 duelist aswell, Up to the crowd which is liked best.
Attachments
duelist.png
duelist.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag