You should have to "register" to play MP

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Assasin

You should have to "register" to play MP

Post by Assasin »

Think about it. What if someone is cussing back and forth thought the game. No one can keep him off the server, and he ruins all the fun. We can already ban them from the forum, but what about MP? Shouldn't you have the ability to do that?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
varradami

Re: You should have to "register" to play MP

Post by varradami »

Assasin wrote:Think about it. What if someone is cussing back and forth thought the game. No one can keep him off the server, and he ruins all the fun. We can already ban them from the forum, but what about MP? Shouldn't you have the ability to do that?
Oooooo... not *cussing*, what ever shall we do! *gasp* the horror! :P Sorry, I just find people who are offended by "cussing" to be amusing. :roll: Maybe a (optional) filter could be built into the client so you wouldn't have to see any cussing.

However, the point I think you were actually getting at is there are a lot of people who are [censored]. In fact, some people who wouldn't act like [censored] in person start acting like [censored] when they get online. These people are disruptive, and quite annoying when you're just trying to enjoy a good game of Wesnoth.

Being able to set an ignore list would be very nice, and hopefully not too difficult to implement. Being able to take ownership of chat rooms, with the ability to kick/ban players could be very useful as well. Making a room/game password protected allows you to be exclusive, but is not helpful if you actually want to play with strangers.

Registering does not seem necessary to me - IRC gets along just fine without needing people to register. However, I think there should be an (optional) registration mechanism. At the very least, this would be useful for implementing statistics tracking. Also, we could give more privledges to registered players.
scott

Post by scott »

You can already boot someone out of a game with the :ban command.

I see you have reformed your language, but of all people to be complaining about it... :D

I think a lot of people would like registrations because it allows for record-keeping. I'm personally indifferent.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

I am not english native, but if you mean getting out and back in MP server and in games by cussing?? - that is my problem. Not all of us are so lucky to have good connection to Wesnoth server :cry: .
Just bored..
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

scott wrote:You can already boot someone out of a game with the :ban command.

I see you have reformed your language, but of all people to be complaining about it... :D

I think a lot of people would like registrations because it allows for record-keeping. I'm personally indifferent.
Hahahaha, yes. I'm refering to the people who use F*** to magnify their every sentence (I hear to many of them at my school). Oh, is there a list of commands anywhere?

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yes, its on the wiki somewhere. Here: http://wesnoth.slack.it/?CommandMode
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

thank's mon 8)

varradami

Post by varradami »

Assasin wrote:Hahahaha, yes. I'm refering to the people who use F*** to magnify their every sentence (I hear to many of them at my school). Oh, is there a list of commands anywhere?
Oh I don't do that - I have a large enough vocabulary of curses to vary which curse I use in each sentence. :twisted:

You want to hear cursing, just wait until my computer doesn't do what I want it to do, or some bit of code isn't working right and I can't figure out why. Then you'll hear some cursing! 8)
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

:lol: I curse in my head, parents in next room.
Sorry for the meaningless post
scott

Post by scott »

If you commit vulgarity in your heart, it's the same as saying it out loud.

What!? It works for murder and adultery.
;)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Saurian Bibleist

Post by Saurian Bibleist »

scott wrote:If you commit vulgarity in your heart, it's the same as saying it out loud.

What!? It works for murder and adultery.
;)
NICE.

:wink:
Take that plank out of your eye.
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

I think that if there is an MP registration added, it should be optional. Kind of like IRC, where you can use it without registering your handle, but if you do, then you can keep other people from using your name and stuff.

However, I'm not sure if registration is something that should be added at all.
Jetrel

Re: You should have to "register" to play MP

Post by Jetrel »

varradami wrote:However, the point I think you were actually getting at is there are a lot of people who are [censored]. In fact, some people who wouldn't act like [censored] in person start acting like [censored] when they get online.
In the real world, these people are generally quite demure, based on the simple knowledge that if they do exhibit rather caustic tendencies, they will be rapidly hammered into the ground.

In multiplayer games when someone was being a complete jackass, I prefer to assume the "strong, silent, lethal" persona:

( if the "Mercy Killers" were still around, I believe this would instigate a formal declaration of war on their part :-) )
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Parte el segundo: :P
scott

Post by scott »

Too bad you can't :ban your opponent
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.