Finishing the Scale Alliance, Redux

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Finishing the Scale Alliance, Redux

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I felt lonely so I decided to start my own topic again to post all my develpoment on the drakes; For now I can't claim to be to active due to school; But here's a graphical teaser of some things I've been cooking up before.

It's the Drake unit tree in it's current state, Things may be altered/added/deleted in due time, But I'll let you people think of what all the units can stand for before I finish stats.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Neo, you rock. I especially love the dark one with the scimitar-like sword. 8)

A few things I dislike, however.

1) The dragon which uses it's wings as a cape. Doesn't look or seem practical.. and the units does't look powerful as well. The great wings of it's predecessors look much more awe-inspiring. IMHO, of course.

2) The 2nd level variant at the top doesn't seem to have eyes.. just cavities.

3)The swords on the drakes second from down look weird with that thick black edge. The flaming sword looks nice, though.
Last edited by Na'enthos on April 15th, 2005, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
varradami

Post by varradami »

Na'enthos wrote:1) The dragon which uses it's wings as a cape. Doesn't look or seem practical.. and the units does't look powerful as well. The great wings of it's predecessors look much more awe-inspiring. IMHO, of course.
Maybe he has Teleport, so he doesn't need to fly everywhere. Flying is for wimps. ;)

Overall the new artwork looks pretty nice. I look forward to seeing new units to go along with it. :)
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

What's the green guy at the top? Judging by the diagram, he's derived from the burner, but he looks a lot different...
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Draconio wrote:What's the green guy at the top? Judging by the diagram, he's derived from the burner, but he looks a lot different...

He looks different to prevent confusing, Burners lack weaponry due to their firebreath; So I try to make him stand out from the other burners;

His design is something along the lines of a Marksman advancement for the burners, It has fewer but stronger hits with marksman, And would probably go down to 1 very strong melee attack (hence the very large iron fist) And yeah, He has pretty dark eyes; This is natural for drakes, Except in most cases the eyes emit a faint glow to make em appear; I just left this out to see how'd it look.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

All I have to ask is why are the shadows and edges so dark on some of the swords, the ones the new fighters and the gladiator upgrade uses? They are a lot different from for instance the clasher's one..

But, they look great. I'd love to see these in-game, as now they'll finally have some more upgrades past level 2...

Perhaps the saurian should also get some branch? Just an idea... perhaps one that has stated to throw spears instead of poking with them...
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'll work on saurians yes, A ranged saurian might be a good idea.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Regarding the new Burner branch: I'm afraid that I find the robe/arm area to the left of the image to be cluttered and confusing. There's a lot going on there - perhaps too much - and not enough cues to separate it all out.

Could the robe be replaced with something else? Greaves perhaps?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Looks good, but could you tell me what tree the two units in the third-from-bottom row advance from? The tree for them appears to start at second level.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:Looks good, but could you tell me what tree the two units in the third-from-bottom row advance from? The tree for them appears to start at second level.
It's from the Fighter. A different tree he posted made that clear.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:Looks good, but could you tell me what tree the two units in the third-from-bottom row advance from? The tree for them appears to start at second level.
It's from the Fighter. A different tree he posted made that clear.
Ah, OK.

BTW, neo, I still hold that the burner is too tall. Is there any way you could make it a tiny bit shorter? ~5 pixels would be preferrable, but just 1 or 2 would help... it looks like a level 2 unit. :cry:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Jyhem

Post by Jyhem »

I realise this is not an answer to your request, it's probably a more general question which might need an answer beyond the scope of Drakes:

I can't figure out which are the flying ones and which aren't.

This is especially important in the recruiting stage, where flipping through the choices will not even reveal this vital info. Even in the "profile" view, it is not obvious.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

IIRC, the clasher is the only one that doesn't fly. His wings are supposed to be smaller and shriveled up; they are smaller, but its still not clear from the picture that they don't fly.

Actually, from the pictures, the only unit that I would say didn't fly is the level 3 glider - which is supposed to be the best flyer of all. :shock:

I think the clasher+upgrades should have their wings look burned, so its clear they can't fly. ;)
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Hm, Perhaps I should edit the Clasher's wings; Anyway, I added another unit;
Image I think the drakes regarding having a age-spawn close to that of their relative dragons deserve at least one level 4 unit; And which unit better to have a level 4 for than the unit that represents the drakes the best?

I want to call it something like "Efreet"
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

An efreet is an evil type of genie.. if I'm not mistaken. And it's age-span. :wink:
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery