Bad but needs tons and tons of work.
4%
Very Bad and is unsaveable.
2%

Total votes: 54

Disto

What d'ya think/Remake of the Barbarians

Post by Disto »

Well? I've remade Cobretti's/Burnsabers barbarians to what i think is better, any comments would be appreciated, the same for any tips or fixes.

And for anyone saying i'm missing too many axes i intend to make a kind of Woodsmen, with a 2-handed axe.
Attachments
The-marauders.png
The-marauders.png (43.94 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
Last edited by Disto on April 10th, 2005, 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Cool! Do they have attack animations also?
Sorry for the meaningless post
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

A definite improvement, but I don't think they look good enough to go in the game yet. Also, I don't really like how the warrior gains a torch when he becomes a pillager, then loses it again when becoming a lord. Anyways, they're not bad so keep it up.
Disto

Post by Disto »

romnajin wrote:Cool! Do they have attack animations also?
They will do when i have fixed them up, the general thing pillagers do nick and burn things but when you become a lord you just hire people to do that for you.

And the chances are even when they are fixed up they would be in-game unless someone makes a campaign which becomes official but someone could make a multiplayer era with them when they are finished.
Creator of the Marauders
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Cobretti is working on them too. It´s nice to see that people are intrested in my idea.

Your graphics are a definate improvement, i must say.I have some nitpicks though.. I´ll go them through one by one.

"Crusher" - You must have messed up the names. The level 1 is mauler. But i like your version, a lot! I`ll start using it in my campaign (around ~3 scenarios done will post once i get to four.)

"Mauler" - He seems kinda.. thin. couple pixels to make him vertically larger might help.

Scout- No nitpicks on this one.

Slaveraider- Why did you take the net? It`s approbiate tool for slaveraiding, afterall.

Warrior- Looking a bit further away it`s hard to to see where his legs stop and where the torso starts. Maybe he should reveal some leg like scout?

Pillager- The mid body seems thin.

Lord- The cape would probaply look better as red. I had to look it very closely to notice the cape. The front sword looks a bit too much like katana (curvy).

But otherwise very nice work!

About your woodsman unit. What kind of role where you intending to give it? Marauders have already a hard-hitting unit in berserker.

If you find time, would you be intrested in making a level three berserker for my campaign (as hero..).
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Disto

Post by Disto »

The woodsmen i intend to make a strong maybe berserker dude with a big axe, one which can only be handled with 2 hands.
I will take some of you advice and change it once i have had a chance to get some food.
Creator of the Marauders
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

However much logical sense the pillager losing the torch makes... its a bad idea, gameplaywise. I think you should either give the lord a torch, or have an alternate advancement that keeps it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I suggest you take "Cobretti's Barbarians" out of the title. The Barbarians are a completely different set from the ones you have posted here, which are Marauders. The Barbarians have been underground for quite a while, actually. That said, I think they look great compared to how they used to be.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Where the title is actually The Marauders even though in the text i do refer to barbarians.

I've done the fixes which were asked for by burnsaber, i'll just post the lord and the slaveraider as they had the biggest changes.
Attachments
barbarian-slaveraider-alt.png
barbarian-slaveraider-alt.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
barbarian-lord-alt.png
barbarian-lord-alt.png (4.41 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

Any body else have any advice, 2 cents or nitpiks?
Attachments
The-marauders-compare-2.png
The-marauders-compare-2.png (36.8 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
Creator of the Marauders
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

several things - for the scout and the marauder, take a look at the hair on the footpad, or, now, on haldric. Try and copy the shape and shading of it, since it has a very complex pattern that suggests both clumps of hair, yet also gives it the proper reflective pattern.

Haldric has new graphics now, which you can get at from the unit list in the wiki - notable, for the "slaveraider", he even has a bandanna.

For the lord, try and resurrect the shape of the old helmet - it looked to me like it had these curved ram's horns on it. Same goes for those spikey shoulderpads he had.

Also, for both the warrior and crusher lines, make the guys *buff*. Give them broad shoulders and hips, kinda like the orcish grunts. This is very important, in fact, probably the most important comment I'm making here.

For the slaveraiders/warriors, take a look at the specific pattern of pixels on the shields of the swordsman/cavalry. It yields an embossed look, and looks better. For the Crushers, the new shading on the maces is an improvement, but go a step further and add the specular highlights on the tips of the mace points (actually, do the other stuff first, don't worry about this one). They'll need a bunch of work, but, they're definitely getting better.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Hi.

As always, I have little time to work on graphics, but still will work on the Marauders, since I gave word of it. But, given you are interested in working on them, I'll post tomorrow what I already have done so you can work further on them, or make better versions. The rest will come, eventually.

Said that, they are Burnsaber's marauders, I'm just helping to 'tune' them, but proper credit must be given to him. He has the final decision, and if he likes some of your versions better, that is fine for me.

Keep working on them, you are making a good work.
Disto

Post by Disto »

How does this do for the horns.
Attachments
barbarian-lord-alt.png
barbarian-lord-alt.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

How about this for the hair?
Attachments
barbarian-slaveraider-alt.png
barbarian-slaveraider-alt.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
barbarian-scout-alt.png
barbarian-scout-alt.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

Ok i have collected them together again, and here is what i have.
Attachments
The-marauders-compare-3.png
The-marauders-compare-3.png (37.57 KiB) Viewed 4338 times
Creator of the Marauders