New Campaign: A Seed of Evil

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Disto

New Campaign: A Seed of Evil

Post by Disto »

It is being sad and timing out halfway through upload but i think, hope all that is needed is there.

I am expecting lots of critism and bad rewiews and bugs but i am going to be away so hey, then i will fix it.
Good Luck
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
aelius

Post by aelius »

A good beginning. It'll be interesting to see where you go with the story. There's something very appealing about a story told from the point of view of the guys who aren't the main actors.

First bug report: In the second scenario you need to change

nextlevel=the_third_scenario.cfg to nextlevel=the_third_scenario or it won't load.

- b.
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

Nice Campaign First Scenario is a bit difficult in Easy though...But it should be..;) I even managed to get a Red Mage in it...And a Red Mage in the next one......

Maybe you should tone down the villages in Weldyn in the Second Scenario though..Once one side captures them all it is over...really I was getting 32 gold per turn once I captured all tose villages...And the Dragoon and two calverymen sealed the deal...and you need ot fix the bug where keeps appear where Eldren and Delfador starts out...They are kinda annoying...
Victory to those who do not fear death!
Val

Post by Val »

Interesting start, really. I playtested it on easy and here are my 2 cents (that's almost 3 cents over in the US now, beware!)

King's Death:
- Though the story is familiar to many, I still think that telling people the king will turn on his son in the intro takes away the surprise.
- Turn limit is a bit high
- Very funny: "Now you really are a [censored]!" at the king's death. Umm...how does killing your father change the lady he bedded in the past :P
- turns needed: 14 ...and: early finish bonus 19 per turn while I was earning 24 already. Is this intentional?...you want people to level troops in the rounds remaining?
- Generally, not a bad scenario, though you can probably finish it in less than 10 rounds.

The Way to Weldyn:
- I may be stupid, but the intro was a bit unclear to me. If the son died battling Delfie, then how come I'm alive. And what exactly is my commander from the previous level doing? Off to battle Delfie? Just a suggestion: The son doesn't die as his loyal commander disguises himself and fights in his stead...
- Nice map, but a bit too many villages. I understand that you intend to get people to run for the middle as soon as possible, but still...
- The pikemen guarding to the southwest shouldn't move out of their fortresses. Picking them off with archers is easy enough, even if the don't come out.
- Same as in scenario #1: turns needed: 14, early finish per turn: 32 while earning 36.

A promising start. Let me know if you want me to correct grammar and spelling in detail.
gunsnwoses

Post by gunsnwoses »

I disagree that the first map is too hard on easy; just back off and let the orcs and other humans destroy each other - no problems whatsoever.

Good maps, but I had over 1000 gold after finishing map 2 (on easy) because of high turn limit and/or too many villages.

Crashed loading map 3 (already mentioned), and about a million spelling mistakes coupled with pretty bad grammar.

Otherwise looks promising.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Please tell me any spelling mistakes now i'm back.
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

Ok can i ask any suggestions about dialog (really really bad here so far) and also about what the main charecter would look like.
Creator of the Marauders
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The campaign idea is very interesting, and the first scenario seemed well designed from what I played of it. Unfortunately, I don't really have time to play it very often.

Two things:

1- Why do you not lose if Eldred dies? Or, if you do, why is this not stated in the victory conditions?

2- When using the level 3 bandits, as you appear to do (though I'm not sure why), don't have it be

Code: Select all

#ifdef {CAMPAIGN_NAME}
advanceto=Highwayman
#endif
have it be

Code: Select all

#ifdef LEVEL_3_BANDITS
advanceto=Highwayman
#endif
And define LEVEL_3_BANDITS inside your campaign.cfg file.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Let's coordinate the L3 bandits thing over PM. I'll test it, publish the unit pack, then notify you two so updates can all occur ~simultaneously.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Ok

I have put a bug fixed version up, it timed out and is at 240 kb out of the 400 odd its meant to have so i don't know how much it.

I have fixed all reported bugs except the running out of the castle with the pike man as i don't know how.

Any grammar and spelling can you just pm me with and can you tell exactly what is unclear and prefarably say a idea for it.
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

Unless i get any feedback soon i think i'm gonna dump it as i don't get that much time anyway and i'm really very unimaginative.
Creator of the Marauders
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Disto wrote:Unless i get any feedback soon i think i'm gonna dump it as i don't get that much time anyway and i'm really very unimaginative.
I think its actually a pretty cool campaign, but again I don't have much time to play it.

If you do dump it, send me the files and I'll save them for whenever I have some spare time.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Disto

Post by Disto »

Yeh probably, i'll see what people think after the 4th and 5th come out, if there are no new scenario ideas i'll hand it over to you.
Creator of the Marauders
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Disto wrote:Unless i get any feedback soon i think i'm gonna dump it as i don't get that much time anyway and i'm really very unimaginative.
The campaign is nice so far, but I think a bit to easy after the first one. I mean once you capture the town it's a cakewalk and you end up with tons of gold, which makes the third scenario all to easily beatable.

I think there is a huge possibility to further develop this campaign. I love the idea of "seeing things from the other side". You could actually strive in and out various other campaigns set in the same time (HttT, the outlaw campaign, see further down), getting involved in some brutal surpression of a poplar uprising, getting some doubt's while dealing with new "allies" in form of orcs and nagas, until arriving on fighting the battle with Konrad in HttT as Li'sar's first commander (you have to delay his victory for at last X turns for not being substituted). Playing the pursuit of Konrad's party while he is trying to reach the dwarfs until defending the mine entrance against the orcs to pay time for "his princess". Might even be a final scenario with an heroic ending: "delay the orcish advance as long as possible/at least for xx turns to win", a sort of wesnothian "Helms deep"; at the end you will fall, but you've done your job.

my 2 cents:
Played on normal

1.scenario
this works perfectly for me.

2.scenario
Tune down the number of villages a bit and put some more resistance on the defence of the city, giving the reinforcements time to arrive before you capture the town.

3. scenario
For some reason I don't understand, when I first downloaded the latest version and started it over from the beginning, it sprang directly to the third scenario with 150 gold and no recallable troops. Which was confusing from a story point of view, but much more interesting to play, as your superior troops where outnumbered 2,5:1 and the whole play hang on an edge for about 10-12 turns.
So making the second scenario harder the third one should be perfect as it is.

possibile development:
4.scenario
send disto to put done the uprising on some border province (maybe you'ld like to hitch on the outlaw campaign by scott (I think) with two options
a. the "punishing spedition" after the loyalist troops have been dispersed in scenario 2 or so, if I remember right, of the outlaw campaign -> you have to hunt down the rebels or siege the rebel settlements
b1. the initial army which gets routed: so you have to fight your way out of the settlement (maybe with only one initial recruit/recall) without the possibility of getting fresh troops.
b2. retreat to the nearest outpost and organize the strike back while beging harassed by the rebels.

and that's just a start...
Keep it up as it has a tremendous potential IMHO.
Kristian
Disto

Post by Disto »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:
The campaign is nice so far, but I think a bit to easy after the first one. I mean once you capture the town it's a cakewalk and you end up with tons of gold, which makes the third scenario all to easily beatable.

I think there is a huge possibility to further develop this campaign. I love the idea of "seeing things from the other side". You could actually strive in and out various other campaigns set in the same time (HttT, the outlaw campaign, see further down), getting involved in some brutal surpression of a poplar uprising, getting some doubt's while dealing with new "allies" in form of orcs and nagas, until arriving on fighting the battle with Konrad in HttT as Li'sar's first commander (you have to delay his victory for at last X turns for not being substituted). Playing the pursuit of Konrad's party while he is trying to reach the dwarfs until defending the mine entrance against the orcs to pay time for "his princess". Might even be a final scenario with an heroic ending: "delay the orcish advance as long as possible/at least for xx turns to win", a sort of wesnothian "Helms deep"; at the end you will fall, but you've done your job.

my 2 cents:
Played on normal

1.scenario
this works perfectly for me.

2.scenario
Tune down the number of villages a bit and put some more resistance on the defence of the city, giving the reinforcements time to arrive before you capture the town.

3. scenario
For some reason I don't understand, when I first downloaded the latest version and started it over from the beginning, it sprang directly to the third scenario with 150 gold and no recallable troops. Which was confusing from a story point of view, but much more interesting to play, as your superior troops where outnumbered 2,5:1 and the whole play hang on an edge for about 10-12 turns.
So making the second scenario harder the third one should be perfect as it is.

possibile development:
4.scenario
send disto to put done the uprising on some border province (maybe you'ld like to hitch on the outlaw campaign by scott (I think) with two options
a. the "punishing spedition" after the loyalist troops have been dispersed in scenario 2 or so, if I remember right, of the outlaw campaign -> you have to hunt down the rebels or siege the rebel settlements
b1. the initial army which gets routed: so you have to fight your way out of the settlement (maybe with only one initial recruit/recall) without the possibility of getting fresh troops.
b2. retreat to the nearest outpost and organize the strike back while beging harassed by the rebels.

and that's just a start...
Keep it up as it has a tremendous potential IMHO.
Kristian
Opps sorry about that i put it like that to make easier to playtest, any with this problem can you please open the .cfg file for the campaign in .wesnoth (for linux) and change it to the_first_scenario instead of the_third_scenario, as scott know scenario 4,5 and 6 are all in simultaneos development and will be with people soon.
Creator of the Marauders