Editor Crashes on Startup (Mac)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Phyvo

Editor Crashes on Startup (Mac)

Post by Phyvo »

What does "Battle for Wesnoth Editor" do? When I try to run it, I get this message:

Code: Select all

Checking for user scenarios

No installation performed yet

Checking existance of /Users/phyvo/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/user-scenario-backup
checking mode possible...
setting mode to 800x600
No [language] block found in english.cfgEditor theme could not be loaded.
entering while...
creating map...
error config: Illegal character in map: (103) 'g'
The map is not in a correct format, sorry.
What is going on? I read the scenario editor readme, and it mentioned editting maps... are these two editors somehow intertwined or something?

And when I try to open the scenario editor (also in the Terminal), it just spouts a lot of gibberish and dies. I did move it to the same folder as BFW...
scott

Post by scott »

There's a perl script you need to run. It should really be bundled with the editor or run before distributing it. I don't understand why it's necessary, but it works. When I get to my home computer I can post it or you can search some of the other mac os X editor threads.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Phyvo

Post by Phyvo »

I found the script and ran it, thanks. I think they didn't put it in there because the data must be pretty big (BFW itself is 41 megs), and they didn't want to make the download any bigger. In any case, it would be helpful to put instructions in the readme. You wouldn't even need to necessarily include the script, since you can always control-click "Show Package Contents". Still, that would be the hard way to do things. =)

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Ai

Post by Ai »

I ran the script and it transferred all the files, but when I open the editor it requires me to open a file first thing. If I cancel it, it force-quits itself. Also, if I open anything- even a map- it force-quits itself. What did I do wrong?

:shock:

editor

Post by guest »

hi... i desperatly want to edit maps and make campaigns... have a mac same prob with editor crash on start up...alas but perl script and all that means nothing to me.... can someone please give me a ignorant persons 5 steps to salvation????
scott

Post by scott »

I posted a compiled version of the editor on the internet. It works with version 0.8.11 of the game. It's 20 Mb. Let me know if it works.

Edit: it's for the Mac
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Where is this perl script? I can't seem to find it.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Sithrandel

Re: Editor Crashes on Startup (Mac)

Post by Sithrandel »

Phyvo wrote:What does "Battle for Wesnoth Editor" do? ... I read the scenario editor readme, and it mentioned editting maps... are these two editors somehow intertwined or something?
There are two current versions of editors.

One is a map editor which is the Official editor. This is an SDL application to be run from the terminal. There is also a Cocoa editor which is unofficial but was meant to be easier for people to use. There was some confusion in how to run this so I have integrated it into the main program (this will be available in the next release I package).