WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

OTna

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by OTna »

What is ANL? I have an idea as to what would happen if you decided to mast a lot of necromancers and build a zombie empire: potential allied factions will tolerate you at best and send armies to kill you at worst, since power comes at a price. I will send you the details and dialogs later. Can it involve the
elf/northern/dwarf relation building as well or should I just write about the zombie empire part?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

ANL is A New Land, it's part of wesnoth multiplayer.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Spoiler:
Last edited by vghetto on April 2nd, 2020, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
OTna

Post by OTna »

I played around a little with ANL and it was very interesting. The aspect of creating an alliance with elf, dwarf and drake is completely fine, but undead and orc is... problematic. Maybe in the future, you can ally with the orc/undead by completing special missions/dialogs that make you unfriendly/hostile against the kingdom and other races? Also, there should be special rewards by having a friendly reputation with them, such as:
-When you first give the undead some gold as gift (around 300 gold), you will be allowed to recruit dark adept since it means that you are willing to shelter them despite their bad standing. The dark adepts can only advance to become necromancers then, but if you give them more gold and plaguing a required amount of enemies into zombies, your friendship with them will be established and the option to advance dark adept into liches and elder liches will be unlocked. However, most other races including the kingdom will continously hate you (unless you give them a lot of gifts or something else yearly) and you can't get to friendly relation with them except the northern alliance as 2 of their core members are liches.
-The orcs demanding you to cut down trees and killing lots of elves is surprisingly appropriate. Their first reward should be allowing you to recruit orcish assasin, their second reward is allowing you to recruit troll (let's be real here, those 2 units are the best and most effective). Similar to the undead, most other races including the kingdom will continously hate you (unless you give them a lot of gifts or something else yearly) and you can't get to friendly relation with them except the northern alliance as they have lots of orcs there.
-Being an ally with the northern alliance should allow you to recruit outlaws only (since there are already elves, dwarves, orcs and every other races in the northern alliance)
-Being at the 'ally' status with a race should allow you to not only recruit their units but also to call for reinforcement from them (like how you pay 100 gold to call a bunch of loyalist reinforcement). Reinforcement from the elf comes from the west, orc/northern alliance/drake from the north, dwarf from the east and none from undead since they are not a nation...
-Since the units you get from these other factions are pretty much mercenaries, they shouldn't be able to become loyal unit to reflect this. Having units with powerful abilities like 'ambush', 'steadfast' or 'marksman' is handy, but you should not rely completely on them. The only exception is dark adept/their advancements and zombie since you’re sheltering them.

I am brainstorming to come up with resonable dialogs for how this all play out. I think that making the interection with the allied faction fun and enjoyable, even in the case of undead/orc, is a good way to go (for example, an undead advisor will replace the kingdom emissary if you are allied with the undead or an orcish warlord will come to live at your town to show the orc's friendliness to their new ally)
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Spoiler:
Let me know if you find any bugs, I ran a very quick debug mode test of all those features.
See them as little side quests that you could do, in return you'll get some extra units. you cannot directly recruit these units.

Edit1:
I keep forgetting to add everyone of you that suggested changes to the game's credits, i'll do that soon. Thank you all.
Last edited by vghetto on April 2nd, 2020, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skayland

Post by Skayland »

Just updated and did a match with debug on, all the agreements and requirements seem to work fine (tried all of them) Although i think the requirements need a bit of balancing yet, this new feature works as intended :D
About balancing:
-Its cheaper to ally with elves than with dwarfs, im not sure if this is intended or not, what i mean is, for example, plating 5 trees costs 25 gold and 10 turns if you use a single worker (5 gold, 2 turns per tree), instead, you need 50 gold and 15 turns to make 5 hills (10 gold, 3 turns per hill, again, using a single worker)
-Maybe this gets balanced already by the fact that we cut trees very often so we end up needing to plant way more trees. Elves are (in my opinion) stronger and more useful than dwarfs in this map, mostly because the map consists of 50% forest, they are faster and other advantages.
-Outlaws should have different requirements, i guess you made the "purge undead" as a placeholder(?)
-Negotiating with Outlaws and Undead should be done in a different place/way, since these factions do not have nations. My idea to fix/change this would be: whenever a Lich or Necromancer comes into the map you may be asked if you want to attack them or leave them alone, and if you leave them alone often enough you would end up allied with them. And about the outlaws: maybe the player should build himself a bad reputation. which can also be used to influence the number of troops the king sends. For example human caravans could pass from time to time, and we get a bit of money from them (paying for passing your territory) and we can also choose to attack them, getting more money but ruining our reputation
-Orcs, Outlaws (and Undead?) don't have a nation, they are divided in groups or tribes, so instead of negotiating with them as countries/nations maybe we could help an specific "tribe" or "group" we choose against their enemy tribes/groups, this way we get allied with one tribe of for example, orcs, by fighting with other tribes (enemies of the tribe we are allied with), with outlaws may work the same way, but maybe we should attack caravans or loyalist groups instead.

All this is just my opinion/review/ideas, take what you want, leave what you don't like :D you are doing a good job!

Edit:
Some of the stuff i mentioned may be hard to code i guess, im not familiar with Wesnoth scripting/modding
Practice makes perfect, why don't we practice helping others?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

ThinkSome wrote: March 30th, 2020, 5:19 pm This message is shown when the first Blacksmith is being constructed, even though other projects have already been ordered (and completed). The helpful text should show when first project of any kind is attempted.
The tutorial asks the player to build a forge first, that is why the message is attached to that specific project. I'm not sure if that is the best advice. I personally start with the bowyer, maybe I should move the message to another project. What do you think?
I'll limit the message appearing to the first season only. (the way it was orginally btw)
toannghe1997 wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:37 am ...
Skayland wrote: March 31st, 2020, 9:06 pm ...
Thank you for testing it. yes there's plenty of polishing and tweaking still required. No real thought went behind the 500 and 10. calling it diplomacy was probably not good. I'll reword it as hiring mercenaries as toannghe1997 said.

Edit1:
If you can suggest a different required action for the outlaws, i'll listen. I might switch the dwrarves action to killing orcs. But about the trees vs mountains. The trees relation gets reset when the angry elves spawn, but the dwarves relationship does not, so if you started a game a flattened a lot of hills, they will all count against you, and you'll have to make up for it to fulfill the requirement.

Edit3:
toannghe1997 i did this change before I saw your message. I haven't read it yet, i will do so shortly.

Edit4:
If anyone wants to help with the dialogue, there is an unused function for random chatter. It fires sporadically, maybe once or twice a season. They should generally be one liners or at most two. The available main characters are Hero, Advisor, Cynic, Fool, Workers, and the rest of the units.
Example: have the workers say "Work, grumble grumble, work" etc..
PM me your suggestions. or better yet create github pull requests :)

Edit8:
Second post of this thread is the changelog of sort.
Last edited by vghetto on April 2nd, 2020, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ElderDays

Post by ElderDays »

I love that this classic scenario is getting the attention it deserves. Would it be possible to expand the economic/ settlement building side of the game? Taverns, shops and temples are important to any fantasy settlement. Maybe even build a fishing pier on the shore. Thanks for all the hard work!
Skayland

Post by Skayland »

I think the bowyer should also allow recruiting woodsman, im not sure if one bowyer should allow bowman AND woodsman or its better to have 2 separate bowyers, or maybe we can get woodsmans from the start?

About dialogues. how do i help with that? is there an specific file in the add-on folder for them or i can just write random dialogues and send them? and where to send them?
Practice makes perfect, why don't we practice helping others?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

@ElderDays, thanks. it all depends on whether I can find pre-existing terrains for those. I'm sure other add-ons have them, I just need to find them. i think a tavern that can generate a small income in the winter could be nice.

@Skayland You can get Poachers by completing the outlaws library quest, i'm not sure if I want to make woodsmen recruitable directly, i'll have to think about it.

For the dialogue, you can send me a Private Message with the text, or use github and create an issue.
Or put them right here inside spoiler tags.

What I need are random one-liners, something like "I was an adventurer just like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee" type of stuff.
For the existing text, they are spread around multiple files. If you want to alter one of those just let me know when it happened in the game and I'll know which you're referring to, then just Private Message the alternate text. example: when they see the undead for the first time, make them say ... etc.
I created a repo on github for contribution ideas. i created it mainly for toannghe1997 but anyone can chime in. You can open issues there or send pull requests with the dialog.
https://github.com/virtualghetto/WF_Contrib
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Could you please add an option to not display the project completion messages? I.e. "trees were planted". I have around 100 workers and it is becoming ... annoying :P

Another thing - could there be a shortcut that combines mudding shallow water and then draining a swamp?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

ThinkSome wrote: April 4th, 2020, 4:56 pm Could you please add an option to not display the project completion messages? I.e. "trees were planted". I have around 100 workers and it is becoming ... annoying :P

Another thing - could there be a shortcut that combines mudding shallow water and then draining a swamp?
Did I make the elves too easy to deal with?!
To remove the message, open utils/projects.cfg and delete line 1643 {NARRATOR_SAYS {MESSAGE}} or type a # before it.
It won't take affect till the following season/scenario.

As for your other request, hmm, no.

My next upload will disable the notification by default, but unfortunately it is incompatible with old save files. sorry :(
You can see the end my second post for a preview of what is to come. Including relocating the keep!!
OTna

Post by OTna »

100 workers... welp, someone is certainly building their utopia. Make sure you upload the picture of you kingdom, yeah?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

How else is one supposed to reach 20000 gold for victory, then?

My city covers 1/3 of the map already. I can upload screenshot if someone tells me how to zoom out.
OTna

Post by OTna »

You can click the "-" symbol on the keyboard to zoom out.
I had 42 farms and managed to gather 20000 gold after 7 years by relying on caravan money. By investing heavily on units, I could safely deliver the caravan to its destination in the shortest time possible and it earned me far more money than the troops' upkeep (even in winter).
My game was on pioneer. I had around 130 units (most were loyal after a year) and 3 outposts to control the northern, eastern and southern sides of the map.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Aaah, I was always hitting ctrl and -, never occured to me to use just -
utopia.png