Multiplayer Activity Report - 2020

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Multiplayer Activity Report - 2020

Post by Pentarctagon »

This is the thread which will be used to provide the Multiplayer Activity Reports for 2020. These will be posted once per month, and currently contain the following information for games played over the previous month:
  1. The count of unique users.
  2. The total count of games played.
  3. The count of games played per day.
  4. The count of users by where Wesnoth was downloaded from.
  5. The count of users by what version of Wesnoth was used.
  6. The count of games by the Era used.
  7. The count of games by the Era used and the version of the Era.
  8. The count of games by the Map used.
  9. The count of games by the Map used and the version of the Map.
  10. The count of games by Modification used.
  11. The count of games by Modification used and the version of the Modification.
  12. The count of the total number of games vs the count of games where OOS errors occurred.
  13. The count of OOS errors by the Era that was used.
  14. The count of OOS errors by the Era that was used and the version of the Era.
  15. The count of OOS errors by the Map that was used.
  16. The count of OOS errors by the Map that was used and the version of the Map.
  17. The count of OOS errors by Modification used.
  18. The count of OOS errors by Modification used and the version of the Modification.
  19. The count of OOS errors by the Era, Map, all Modifications used, and the version of each.
  20. A list of all games that encountered OOS errors by the Era, Map, and all Modifications used, with a link to the game's replay.
  21. A list of all games that encountered OOS errors by the Era, Map, all Modifications used, and the version of each, with a link to the game's replay.
The above information is currently attached and available by month for:
  • February
  • March
  • April
  • May
  • June
  • July
  • August
  • September
  • October
  • November
  • December
Additionally, for more fine grained information on player count by time, check here.
Attachments
MP-Activity-Report-July-2020.xlsx
(62.34 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
MP-Activity-Report-June-2020.xlsx
(67.49 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
MP-Activity-Report-May-2020.xlsx
(77.62 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
MP-Activity-Report-Apr-2020.xlsx
(93.29 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
MP-Activity-Report-Mar-2020.xlsx
(77.28 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
MP-Activity-Report-Feb-2020.xlsx
(57.6 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Multiplayer Activity Report - 2020

Post by Pentarctagon »

<reserved for future attachments>
Attachments
MP-Activity-Report-Dec-2020.xlsx
(141.09 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
MP-Activity-Report-Nov-2020.xlsx
(125.92 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
MP-Activity-Report-Oct-2020.xlsx
(124.59 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
MP-Activity-Report-Sept-2020.xlsx
(114.01 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
MP-Activity-Report-Aug-2020.xlsx
(108.27 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

the download by source adds up to slightly more than the number of unique users, does this mean that many users use multiple devices?

Also the current information about OOS in games isnt that usefule i think, for expmple the top map with OOS erros is issars scross and i think we agree that isars cross itself has no bad wml in it. Maybe it be better to show this data in percentage of games that caused OOS.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

An intersting information one can i think see from this data is that the majority of OOS errors are probably not caused by bad wml code in the used addons but other sources, (that is one of: 1) unused addong having a global effect for example by using [advancefrom] or global [lua], 2) error in he game engine, 3) people modifying game data)

Before i consider option (2) as the main source i'd like to have a stronger protection against, (1) and (3).

for (3) i suggest sending checksums, and for (1) we also haev already suggestions in our fr tracker.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

gfgtdf wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:59 pm the download by source adds up to slightly more than the number of unique users, does this mean that many users use multiple devices?
Yeah, I wouldn't expect that (or the count by version) to add up exactly to the unique user count, since if someone plays on 1.14.9 and then updates to 1.14.11 they'll be counted twice, likewise if someone plays from Steam and from iOS for example they'd also be counted twice.
gfgtdf wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:59 pm Also the current information about OOS in games isnt that usefule i think, for expmple the top map with OOS erros is issars scross and i think we agree that isars cross itself has no bad wml in it. Maybe it be better to show this data in percentage of games that caused OOS.
Yeah, those are there more just to be informational - the combined results by map/era/modifications is the more useful tab to look at.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

gfgtdf wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:09 pm An intersting information one can i think see from this data is that the majority of OOS errors are probably not caused by bad wml code in the used addons but other sources, (that is one of: 1) unused addong having a global effect for example by using [advancefrom] or global [lua], 2) error in he game engine, 3) people modifying game data)

Before i consider option (2) as the main source i'd like to have a stronger protection against, (1) and (3).

for (3) i suggest sending checksums, and for (1) we also haev already suggestions in our fr tracker.
For (3) I believe there's already a checksum sent? IIRC a checksum mismatch will result in "unknown scenario" being shown in the lobby.

For (1), you're referring to 4806?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Pentarctagon wrote: March 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm
For (3) I believe there's already a checksum sent? IIRC a checksum mismatch will result in "unknown scenario" being shown in the lobby.
No i was speaking about people that modify for example the mainline units or other things that can cause OOS. The thing you meantioned is only about the content of the [scenario]/[multiplayer]
Pentarctagon wrote: March 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm For (1), you're referring to 4806?
Not only, there are also gobal [lua[ tags and [advaencefrom] tags, but i definitely thing we shodul do somethign abotu them im 1.15, like to only load these tags from addons that are actually used.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

March has now been added - probably unsurprisingly there was a significant increase in the number of players online and games played, plus a significant increase in both the number of Steam users as well as the number of players using the most recent stable version (1.14.11).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

April has now been added - activity increased somewhat from March, particular milestones being over 6k unique users and just over 30k games played.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

May has been added - activity decreased somewhat, which is pretty expected given lock downs from the pandemic are starting to be less strict in a lot of places.
hay207
Double Style Tourney #1 Champ

Post by hay207 »

Guys, can this be in libreoffice extension, i don't have microsoft office
Ports: Velensk's tower defense, dov's deep shrine, Scrolling survival, Scrolling survival Co-op, Temples of the nagas.
Addons: Tower defense maps , some ANL scenarios like: ANL 3p "A New Land" survival type, and ANL Co-operative map for 2p
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

LibreOffice should be able to open these - I created them with LibreOffice in fact.
hay207

Post by hay207 »

When i open document with libreoffice Calc, i see only 2 fields, one written user count and the other is the number.
Ports: Velensk's tower defense, dov's deep shrine, Scrolling survival, Scrolling survival Co-op, Temples of the nagas.
Addons: Tower defense maps , some ANL scenarios like: ANL 3p "A New Land" survival type, and ANL Co-operative map for 2p
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

There are a bunch of tabs on the bottom as well.
hay207

Post by hay207 »

Oh ok, missed that.