Maximum File Read size for MP servers?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordAwsomeness

Maximum File Read size for MP servers?

Post by LordAwsomeness »

Hi I was just wondering how big the MP servers will allow file sizes to be. I am trying to figure out how much I need to trim down stuff in my MP scenarios in order to be able to save and load them on MP servers. currently the avg file size im getting when I save an uncompressed save is 80ish MB.
On a side note, what are some tips to cut it even smaller? I know that clearing Variables from store_units and other variables is important but what else would help?
- Been playing Wesnoth since 2004 and the 1.0.x versions.
- Creator of Undead Invasion MP Scenario Pack.
- Creator of Valeria MP Adventure
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Maximum File Read size for MP servers?

Post by Ravana »

Instead of aiming to get as close to the limit as possible without passing it, better to just focus on reducing size.

I would comment part of functionality, and then check how many lines it took away.
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

Ravana wrote: March 26th, 2020, 6:57 pm Instead of aiming to get as close to the limit as possible without passing it, better to just focus on reducing size.

I would comment part of functionality, and then check how many lines it took away.
I just want a temp fix at this moment until I can get a more permanent fix so I can continue a game with 3 of my brothers from last night. was a very competitive game that they all want to continue but since leaving your game idle on the server DC's you we now have to find a way to get it back up.
- Been playing Wesnoth since 2004 and the 1.0.x versions.
- Creator of Undead Invasion MP Scenario Pack.
- Creator of Valeria MP Adventure
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

making a an add-on close to the limit will mean that people can no longer load saves from your addon as the size of saves is often bigger than the size of the multiplayer/era tags, furthermore the size of saves usually increases as the game goes on due to more units recruited and more replay data. So when your add-on is already close to the limit it means that people wont be able to reload those later saves anymore, Also people will have problems when they try to play your add-on tigetherwith other eras/scenarios/(modifications as their total size will then be too big.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.