Children of the Dust [SP campaign for BfW1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skeptical_troll

Re: Children of the Dust [SP campaign for BfW1.14]

Post by skeptical_troll »

Konrad2 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 5:06 pm You do have replay topics for this campaign now, but I have not yet uploaded replays or completed it's counterpart in the wiki. But I plan on doing so sometime soonish.
Cool, thanks for opening those threads, I didn't know it was a thing :)
Konrad2 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 5:06 pm If your poisoned unit kills an enemy, the poison is removed. Probably due to way you apply 'Specialized'.
hmm this is quite puzzling, since the specialization is a simple [modify_unit] plus removing and object and putting a new one, in no case touching health or statuses :hmm: I don't see where it may remove the poison.. will need to debug this :doh:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

skeptical_troll wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 11:09 pm Cool, thanks for opening those threads, I didn't know it was a thing :)
It is not exactly a thing (yet?). Right now it's like my pet project.
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

Hello,
I found a bug. Like you can see in the image, no dialog or the key doesn't do anything.
Attachments
Sem Título.png
skeptical_troll

Hello,
I see the problem, it's not a bug, it is rather a poor choice of color. That key is supposed to be the black one, but I see now how it can be confused with the golden one (which is much brighter). That's why it's not opening that door. I'll try to improve that in the next version, as well as giving a warning message if the key used is of the wrong color.
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Wow, another fabulous Dunefolk/dwarves campaign signed skeptical_troll! I'm two scenarios in and loving it. Haven't had this much fun since Return from the Abyss (which I haven't played in ages). Will try to give more feedback this time around. But I'm more about the feelingz. Thanks in advance for all the hard work!
skeptical_troll

More an Dwarves/Aragwaithi campaign in this case. DF are only present once, as enemies. Glad you liked the beginning, look forward to hear your comments if you have any.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The Wolves' Path Reopens
Who wanders -> Who wanders (doublespace)
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

All right it is done! First of all, I want to congratulate you on the dialogue throughout the campaign. You really have come a ways, while staying true to your sense of humor. "Shall I start with the very bad, or the mildly positive news?" ... hilarious. The storyline is excellent, fits very well into the Irdya experience.

Comments per scenario :
Spoiler:
That's it for me, hope some of this feedback is useful. I had a lot of fun! Thanks again for all the hard work and epic tales.
Last edited by Otdoy on March 23rd, 2020, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The Wolves' Path Reopens
Lawthales scenario objectives do not update when you fulfill one of her, well, scenario objectives.
The scenario objectives say I have to send a wizard (lvl 2) to close the passage in the cave, but apparently a witch (lvl 1) can do so as well.

and a we found -> and we

The Council of the Valleys
the renown charge -> renowned
before second the sun -> before the second (actually, shouldn't it be third? The 2nd sun worked out alright, the third sun messed things up)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The Gates of Aerthelka
This was a bit anticlimatic. There was no real pressure, especially at the end where less enemies spawned instead of more. ._. All you had to do was prepare with some barriers and defend somewhat competently. And then you have a pretty much smooth sailing. ._. All this build up that there will be legions of Elves and that I won't be able to survive in the open and that the Aragwaithi are coming to help me so I'll be in their depth... and then none of those things happening.

Witnesses of an End
I think there are some double spaces in the starting dialogue.

Maybe you mean 'in vain' instead of 'vain'? 'Someone being vain' vs 'something being in vain'. (Though I'm no native speaker, so 'vain' on it's own might be right as well, made clear by the context.)
skeptical_troll

Otdoy wrote: March 17th, 2020, 9:25 pm Aragwaithi council meeting. Lawthale seems to know too much for a patrol leader? I would split her report up with other patrol leaders for the other sectors? Then she starts talking strategy... not something a patrol leader would do? I'm probably misunderstanding Lawthale's importance.
Lawthale is meant to be the general of the whole army. Of course given the situation her main task is organizing patrols and inspections but she's not just a patrol leader.
Konrad2 wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 1:29 pm The Gates of Aerthelka
This was a bit anticlimatic. There was no real pressure, especially at the end where less enemies spawned instead of more.
Otdoy wrote: March 17th, 2020, 9:25 pm Honestly I think you should make this scenario a bit longer and more desperate, with an ordered retreat. Would make a great puzzler.
Point taken, I've gone too soft with this one :) Will bring difficulty up a tad and perhaps add the retreat part.
Konrad2 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 12:10 am before second the sun -> before the second (actually, shouldn't it be third? The 2nd sun worked out alright, the third sun messed things up)
I actually meant the first era, or whatever it is called, with only one sun. I confess I don't really understand what happened between the second and the third sun, how long that period was etc.. I imagined it was a relatively peaceful, uneventful and short period before the disaster occurred, but I'm not sure this matches the standard canon.
Konrad2 wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 1:29 pm Maybe you mean 'in vain' instead of 'vain'? 'Someone being vain' vs 'something being in vain'. (Though I'm no native speaker, so 'vain' on it's own might be right as well, made clear by the context.)
hmm I thought 'vain' could be used as an adjective like 'a vain sacrifice', but I may be wrong. You're right that 'the sacrifice was not in vain' sounds more idiomatic than 'the sacrifice was not vain'. If any native speaker out there wants to chime in on the matter, please do so!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

skeptical_troll wrote: March 24th, 2020, 9:53 am
Konrad2 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 12:10 am before second the sun -> before the second (actually, shouldn't it be third? The 2nd sun worked out alright, the third sun messed things up)
I actually meant the first era, or whatever it is called, with only one sun. I confess I don't really understand what happened between the second and the third sun, how long that period was etc.. I imagined it was a relatively peaceful, uneventful and short period before the disaster occurred, but I'm not sure this matches the standard canon.
The birth of the second sun and the desaster of the third as told by Melusand, leader of the Merfolk, in UtBS.
Spoiler:
EDIT:
Witnesses of an End
23,6 is a normal cave hex, except it's impassable.
There is no visible reason for 6,9 (a normal road hex that leads to a bridge) to be impassable. Maybe make the bridge impassable instead of the road?

key unattended locations -> unattended key locations

Why do the teleportations runes not react to monsters?

the key I have fist -> fits

After defeating the first four lava elementals, only 2 more unpetrify.
And once I kill one of those two, four lava elementals unpetrify. ._.
... okay it might not be the lava elementals. You seem to spawn elementals regardless of whether there is unit standing on the spawn coordinate or not. So if I stop them from moving away from there, you will just replace them with petrified units the next turn.

EDIT 2:
It seems that either the carrying a key or using a key removes the 'loyal' marker. (I only noticed this the next scenario and I don't have autosaves from the previous scenario.) (Actually, using the save file I uploaded in my last edit would totally work for this purpose.)

Dawn of a Kingdom
'Immobilize' (axe artefact) does not work.

The construction of Rubble Barricades is not disprupted by enemy attacks. (At least that's the case in Dawn of a Kingdom.)

Miners carry their rubble load over to the next scenarios.
Attachments
CotD-Dawn of a Kingdom-Auto-Save3.gz
Pick up the items, line them up, attack the Rider.
(146.61 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
CotD-Witnesses of an End-Auto-Save109.gz
Kill the Minor Lava Elemental. (Killing the Lava Elemental does not trigger weird behavior.)
(208.82 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
skeptical_troll

Konrad2 wrote: March 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm 23,6 is a normal cave hex, except it's impassable.
There is no visible reason for 6,9 (a normal road hex that leads to a bridge) to be impassable. Maybe make the bridge impassable instead of the road?
Sure, I can do that. Probably it is best to add a warning to the player like 'we can't go back until the mission is accomplished', to avoid any confusion
Konrad2 wrote: March 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm Why do the teleportations runes not react to monsters?
The practical reason is that that I don't want enemies to randomly get out of their zones and mess up the mechanics. The explanation, although possibly contrived, could be that magic runes are made to prevent spread of wild life in caves.
Konrad2 wrote: March 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm ... okay it might not be the lava elementals. You seem to spawn elementals regardless of whether there is unit standing on the spawn coordinate or not. So if I stop them from moving away from there, you will just replace them with petrified units the next turn.
Yeah, I see how the mechanics could be gamed that way, but perhaps holding the spawning point could be considered a valid strategy, although I should probably prevent to spawn-kill currently active units.
Konrad2 wrote: March 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm 'Immobilize' (axe artefact) does not work.
This gave me already so many headaches, apparently I got some more work to do :doh:

Thanks for the bug-hunting!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Dawn of a Kingdom
You are loosing the battle -> losing

The 'devour' weapon special of the Pure Elemental Essence clearly works more than once per advancement. I've managed to create four new Wisps while advancing only twice...

triump worth weeks of -> worthy
Attachments
CotD-Dawn of a Kingdom-Auto-Save32.gz
(177.15 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Y_Plentyn

Post by Y_Plentyn »

It seems I found a bug: In "Witness of an End" I recruited a saurian and picked up a key with it. I can not open the lock (spoilersafeness...) with that key - it seems to check "race = dwarf".