Campaign: Raajal

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

genosuke

Campaign: Raajal

Post by genosuke »

Since it's nearing completion, I figured I should start a thread for Raajal.

The campaign takes place immediately after the events of Invasion of Eliador. It's about a wizard, a king and an outlaw who are coerced by witches into helping them defeat a powerful arch mage.

Version 0.8.8 seems to be relatively bug free, but the last three scenarios are still being tested. Let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions. Thanks.
Incompetent

Re: Campaign: Raajal

Post by Incompetent »

Which are the last 3 missions? I'm on the one with 3 puzzles, and it keeps crashing. Other than that, it's been fun so far but the difficulty is quite variable. I know Raajal is meant to be super-powerful, but the shadow army business just makes it all too easy to win with him.
genosuke

Post by genosuke »

Randalf's mission is the first of the last three. When does it crash? I noticed that a couple of the scenarios crash if I click while units are moving or the screen is scrolling. If it crashes during the second puzzle, then it might be because of the terrain changes.

If you made Raajal too powerful, you'll have a hard time beating him in the last scenario. I probably should have mentioned that in the objectives.
Incompetent

Post by Incompetent »

It crashes on the first puzzle, and seems to do so randomly whenever I make a move.

As for making Raajal strong, you don't have a choice in the first mission. The second mission with him - yes, that would have been helpful to know, as you don't really need to harvest any more souls to grind the witches down (though Royal Guards and Grand Knights do make it a bit less tedious), but then Raajal does seem to gain insane numbers of HP whatever you do. In the campaign as a whole, it's not really clear whose side you're on or what the chronology of events is, so I haven't really been planning ahead in any of the missions.
genosuke

Post by genosuke »

It crashes on the first puzzle, and seems to do so randomly whenever I make a move.
Sorry, but "make a move" is a bit ambiguous. Do the crashes occur after you move Randalf or after you attack a spider?
As for making Raajal strong, you don't have a choice in the first mission. The second mission with him - yes, that would have been helpful to know, as you don't really need to harvest any more souls to grind the witches down (though Royal Guards and Grand Knights do make it a bit less tedious), but then Raajal does seem to gain insane numbers of HP whatever you do. In the campaign as a whole, it's not really clear whose side you're on or what the chronology of events is, so I haven't really been planning ahead in any of the missions.
If you pass the three puzzles, Raajal can be defeated no matter how powerful he has become.
Incompetent

Post by Incompetent »

genosuke wrote:
Sorry, but "make a move" is a bit ambiguous. Do the crashes occur after you move Randalf or after you attack a spider?
Either. Whenever I tell Randalf to do anything, there's a chance it will crash the game.
genosuke

Post by genosuke »

Then I think I know what's causing your crashes and I won't be able to fix it without completely redesigning the scenario (which I won't do unless others experience similar crashes). In the moveto and attack_end events, Randalf is modified to give him more moves and attacks. Without them, the scenario would take too long to complete.

You can skip the scenario and still keep Randalf if you add the following lines after "{INIT_RANDALF}" in scenarios/Day3_Randalf.cfg

Code: Select all

[event]
	name=prestart
	{VARIABLE puzzle 3}
	{NEXT_PUZZLE}
[/event]
woodmouse

Re: Campaign Server Policy

Post by woodmouse »

I would like to tell that it doesn't load and I checked the maps, they have no starting points. Just wanted to tell.
Check out my sprites!
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

I can't open Raajal, it crashed Wesnoth (this is stable, 1.4.7).
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
mfausz

Post by mfausz »

I do not understand what to do in the second puzzel?

Thanks,
Mark
EddieMcCandless

Post by EddieMcCandless »

I have the same problem.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety."

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from what is right."
drollceiling

Post by drollceiling »

Hi, it's been a "few years" since anyone replied to this forum, I thought that for anyone needing help with the second puzzle you should know that the phrase "skull numerals" doesn't have anything to do with the puzzle. Though if it does, you can solve it without them. You need to memorize/write down the twenty different moves the puzzle makes. You need to follow it backwards, so you'll start in the bottom middle, and end in the bottom right of the puzzle. You will know you're almost done when the skeletons you fight to advance become level 2 and deal more damage. You can rest for a turn or two and regain some health. I couldn't find any other help online and this puzzle confused the crap out of my brother and I. I hope this helps anyone trying to play this in the future.
HimanshuWilhelm

Post by HimanshuWilhelm »

drollceiling wrote: August 1st, 2019, 12:50 am Hi, it's been a "few years" since anyone replied to this forum, I thought that for anyone needing help with the second puzzle you should know that the phrase "skull numerals" doesn't have anything to do with the puzzle. Though if it does, you can solve it without them. You need to memorize/write down the twenty different moves the puzzle makes. You need to follow it backwards, so you'll start in the bottom middle, and end in the bottom right of the puzzle. You will know you're almost done when the skeletons you fight to advance become level 2 and deal more damage. You can rest for a turn or two and regain some health. I couldn't find any other help online and this puzzle confused the crap out of my brother and I. I hope this helps anyone trying to play this in the future.
What am I supposed to do in the third puzzle?
It seems to be a sudoku puzzle at first, however, it's not a proper sudoku puzzle with one solution, It gave me a list of thousands of solutions when put through a solver.
Most of the time, I end up recruiting enemy skellies, which move, and I can't recruit ore skellies next to them.
dacin21

Post by dacin21 »

HimanshuWilhelm wrote: December 18th, 2019, 7:24 am
drollceiling wrote: August 1st, 2019, 12:50 am ...
What am I supposed to do in the third puzzle?
It seems to be a sudoku puzzle at first, however, it's not a proper sudoku puzzle with one solution, It gave me a list of thousands of solutions when put through a solver.
Most of the time, I end up recruiting enemy skellies, which move, and I can't recruit ore skellies next to them.
The solution is intentionally not unique. At some point you have to make a guess. If you guessed wrong, you just created an enemy skeleton which will attack your correctly placed skeletons. (And if it kills one of your skeletons, you loose a bit of information on the sudoku.) You can't recruit next to the enemy skeletons, as that would allow you to encircle them and immediately recreate any skeletons that died. (That would make the puzzle very easy.)

(I'm not the author of this campaign, I only ported it to 1.14. These are just my thoughts.)

Ps: Did you play this on 1.14? Did you run into any other issues?
HimanshuWilhelm

Post by HimanshuWilhelm »

thank you. Yeah, I played on the latest version of wesnoth. I've actually solved it this morning (when I wasn't sleepy), the fact that it spawns enemy skellies lets you know immediately whether I am wrong, making it easier to solve than a typical Sudoku puzzle. I was just to dumb in the moment to to realize that. Though. There are better ways to make a difficult sudoku puzzle without using one that contains 4993 solutions.