Remove the grand marshal?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Attila

Post by Attila »

turin wrote:I am 'fond' of the grand marshal unit idea. But not of the graphics - in fact, i think the graphics are some of the worst in the game. And if no one wants to make better graphics, I think the grand marshal should go.
This is one of the two reason's I hate him. I really like the graphics for the general, but hate to let him move up to grand marshal because of his ungainly sheild and sword and other oddities.

Also, I don't think that the game needs him, I usually play with a core of level two unit suppliment with level one units, and a couple level three units giving support and being there if the other units aren't enough. I never use all level 3 units, I just can't give that many units enough experience.

My vote is for take him out all together, or at least make him only in the campaign.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: ...

Post by turin »

Attila wrote: or at least make him only in the campaign.
This is my preferred solution. (if there is indeed a problem).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Attila

Post by Attila »

I actually did try to make better graphics for the grand marshal once, I believe it was one of the first things I ever tried to draw with pixel art, the result was a poorly colored general with a poorly drawn sword, oblonged shield and a weird flag on his head. But, well I still can't draw, but I really don't think that any kind of level four unit is needed.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Well new graphics are the smaller problem.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
emdot

Post by emdot »

My take:

I like Great Marshall and I like Konrad to have 4th level - with one modification. 4th level should not bring combat upgrades. Leadership bonus for 3rd level units is good enough.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Shade wrote:
Ankka wrote:How about Delfador?
Because Delfador is the most experienced of them all :) And that's the way HttT was designed...
But this guy was saying there weren't any level 5 units or so. I know Delfador is special and so on. I just noted that there was a level 5 unit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ankka wrote:
Shade wrote: Because Delfador is the most experienced of them all :) And that's the way HttT was designed...
But this guy was saying there weren't any level 5 units or so. I know Delfador is special and so on. I just noted that there was a level 5 unit.
Delfador is (he has stats of a level 3, has no leadership specialty that is more powerful for higher levels, but is still technically a level 5. so I considered him: )
a level 3 units that gives enemies more experience for fighting him. He's not a true level 5 unit.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

emdot wrote:My take:

I like Great Marshall and I like Konrad to have 4th level - with one modification. 4th level should not bring combat upgrades. Leadership bonus for 3rd level units is good enough.
Aren't 3rd level units fully grown? In that case maybe it is the leadership bonus that should be kept the same in the General > Great Marshall upgrade: the Great Marshall should still only support 1st and 2nd level units.

Yet that might take away the need of having a 4th level for this unit at all.
Amor omnia vincit.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I don't think it is very fair that the Humans are the only race that has a lvl. 4 unit with leadership. Maybe every one should get one, just boost up the XP neccacary to get it.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Assasin wrote:I don't think it is very fair that the Humans are the only race that has a lvl. 4 unit with leadership. Maybe every one should get one, just boost up the XP neccacary to get it.
Grand Marshal is (IIRC) a special campaign unit. So its not that big of a deal.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Burnsaber wrote:
Assasin wrote:I don't think it is very fair that the Humans are the only race that has a lvl. 4 unit with leadership. Maybe every one should get one, just boost up the XP neccacary to get it.
Grand Marshal is (IIRC) a special campaign unit. So its not that big of a deal.
In MP games you can have the liutenant as leader, who can in theory level to the grand marshal... but nearly never are the games long enough for that even with lowest xp settings.

So I agree with you. Not that big deal, really.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

This is just stupid. Not all races have to be the same.

And look at the downsides to the grand marshal too: lots of experience to get, has only as good attacks as a normal level 3 unit - if anything, its worse that the Lord unit (which is, like the GM, only campaign-used).
The World of Orbivm
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

You can have him in multiplayer, it is just VERY VERY hard, like the Sylph.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Unless you play Ages of Heros, which I really don't like.
Not all races have to be the same
good point....
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Yeah, you can have the L word in default, but it is nearly impossible to level him high enough.
Sorry for the meaningless post