A question for developers, do we matter ?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

A question for developers, do we matter ?

Post by Yomar »

Hello, after reading many threats on the same topic I also came across this pool > viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44782 , since a lot of players agree whit two of these proposed changes, why developers don't want to apply these changes ?
Or begin with the most voted one to begin slowly.

I saw countless of discussions about these units, and many good players would like for these changes to be introduced (at least regarding the HI and for some extent the Ghost).

So do we as forum members and players, even matter ?

Or developers just do what they want and apply changes based on preferences in between their "private" circle ?

This is not meant to be offensive, and, at least me personally, well I am very thankful to the work and time dedication of these persons.

Its just that sometime "we" feel useless, so many discussions that try to improve the game, and often no developer even answers, or intervene in the argument.

Thx for the attention, at lest if this post will get some.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Re: A question for developers, do we matter ?

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Most changes of the sort discussed in that thread are best checked using UMC to see what the effect actually is. Players may love the idea of a unit, but how it actually works, especially when competing against an experienced opponent, can only be determined by actual game play. And that was suggested by a developer in the thread you quote. That puts the ball in "the player's court". If no player wants to step up and try implementing the changes as UMC, plus organize some games using the changes (both SP and MP, as approriate), then all we have is someone making a suggestion and a lot of people saying "cool" but no way to know if it's a good idea or a bad one.

That thread may have been for 1.13 but, if someone is serious about the changes, there is nothing preventing them from putting them together for 1.14, 1.15 or whatever. The next step would be to discuss the actual gameplay on a dedicated thread on these Forums, and make adjustments as needed. At some point, if there's enough interest, someone puts together a Pull Request to merge the changes into mainline. Maybe that's a current developer, maybe not. There is no requirement that it be someone with commit privilege. It just needs to be someone who will stick with it, making adjustments as required until the idea is accepted and merged.

So, yes, you matter a lot. But there's just a few developers. They're off working on their own projects. We see a lot of "I have an idea" threads like the one you mentioned. Most of those ideas die, not because the developers are not interested, but because no players are interested enough to take the idea to the point the developers can actually use it.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

It looks like the Ladder Era folks have picked up the ball, but they haven't reached Ladder Era v1.0.0 yet. https://r.wesnoth.org/t49964
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Sounds a bit complicated, I don't saw all these problems when cavalry got nerfed.
Well at least some developers answered.
Thanks.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Why this particular thread out of hundreds of balance threads? What makes it special? In other ones other changes were most supported. And even if you decided that this thread is the most special one, why the 2 changes? why not a single one that got most votes? Why not 3? 4? 5? The difference in votes isnt all that big actually.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

The fact that many player agree on something doesn't mean it's a good change. Balance shouldn't be a democracy.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Strong eat weak here, that is why cultivation of mind and body is so important. It will also help you achieve true balance.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

well Devs never really did anything to help the competitive community grow, thats why it-s dead. So the answer is no.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Personally i started to discuss balance changes in the recent few months. And, from where i'm standing, the devs were really co-operative and open minded.
Of course, this was about balance and not competitive play in general, but the two are connected. I'm sure they realise that better balance will help competitive play aswell.
Just my experience.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I agree with Krogen. I helped redesign the entire Dunefolk faction and the Dev's where very helpful. I think the main thing is that wesnoth is a massive game nowadays and especially since the move to Steam it isn't just the people who have time to post on the forums. As a results making changes based upon 10-20 people's consensus is not always best for the game and players as a whole. (That of course is just my opinion.)