Dunefolk Rework - Removed Units & Extra Units

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spixi

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Removed Units & Extra Units

Post by Spixi »

Can some of the extra units maybe used for Hornshark Island? The Dunefolk still has a roster with only generic monsters. Theme-wise it would be cool to have some of the Dunefolk extra units, like a slow Falcon instead of the quick Giant Rat and a loyal Jinn replacing the Fire Guardian and the Troll Whelp.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I am not really aware of that scenario (gnat was, but not me) but as long is that scenario is user made you are able to use them as you want since they are mainline now.
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

ghype wrote: October 21st, 2019, 8:51 am I am not really aware of that scenario (gnat was, but not me) but as long is that scenario is user made you are able to use them as you want since they are mainline now.
Hornshark is a mainline MP map with special start units depending on the player factions. Currently the Dunefolk faction obtains some monster units at the start, but it would be nice to make use of more thematic units.
ghype

Post by ghype »

ok i just checked it and see what you mean.

Be my guest, choose what ever feels appropriate. are you gonna submit the changes to git?
walodar

Post by walodar »

Hello,
thanks for all the work on the Dunefolk rework!

One small thing: As far as I can tell, I think that for all older max level units in mainline, the XP requirement for their first AMLA is 50 times their level (and 25 for level 0). Some of the new units do not follow this pattern. This has almost no effect on multiplayer balance and would be more consistent, so it would be nice if you were willing to change this.

Here is a list of all units with unusual XP I found:

New units with max level 3 that currently don't require 150 XP:
Dune Luminary
Dune Harrier
Naga Dervish
Naga Zephyr

New units with max level 2 that currently don't require 100 XP:
Jinn
Roc

Thanks again!
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Hello,
thanks for all the work on the Dunefolk rework!

One small thing: As far as I can tell, I think that for all older max level units in mainline, the XP requirement for their first AMLA is 50 times their level (and 25 for level 0). Some of the new units do not follow this pattern. This has almost no effect on multiplayer balance and would be more consistent, so it would be nice if you were willing to change this.

Here is a list of all units with unusual XP I found:

New units with max level 3 that currently don't require 150 XP:
Dune Luminary
Dune Harrier
Naga Dervish
Naga Zephyr

New units with max level 2 that currently don't require 100 XP:
Jinn
Roc

Thanks again!
Fixed, thanks.
walodar

Post by walodar »

Great, thanks for the quick reaction!
walodar

Post by walodar »

Sorry to be a nuisance again, I noticed an issue with incorrect image paths for two Dunefolk defense animations:

error display: could not open image 'units/dunefolk/luminary'
error display: could not open image 'new/scorcher+female.png'

Suggested changes:

data/core/units/dunefolk/Luminary.cfg
27c27
< {DEFENSE_ANIM "units/dunefolk/luminary.png" "units/dunefolk/luminary" {SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_HIT} }
---
> {DEFENSE_ANIM "units/dunefolk/luminary.png" "units/dunefolk/luminary.png" {SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_HIT} }

data/core/units/dunefolk/Scorcher.cfg
95c95
< {DEFENSE_ANIM "new/scorcher+female.png" "new/scorcher+female.png" {SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_FEMALE_HIT} }
---
> {DEFENSE_ANIM "units/dunefolk/scorcher+female.png" "units/dunefolk/scorcher+female.png" {SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_FEMALE_HIT} }

Thanks!
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

ghype wrote: October 21st, 2019, 11:56 pm ok i just checked it and see what you mean.

Be my guest, choose what ever feels appropriate. are you gonna submit the changes to git?
I am not as familar with the new Dunefolk extra units. You are involved more in that project. Maybe you have some ideas for the Dunefolk roster. I am not sure, whether Hornshark has already been tested with the Dunefolk. The current monster unit set should be kept as backup for unknown factions (for example if you play with a non-default era).
ghype

Post by ghype »

Spixi wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 7:14 pm I am not as familar with the new Dunefolk extra units. You are involved more in that project. Maybe you have some ideas for the Dunefolk roster.
Sorry, but I am not familiar with Hornshack. I really couldn't give you a good answer.
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

ghype wrote: March 26th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Spixi wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 7:14 pm I am not as familar with the new Dunefolk extra units. You are involved more in that project. Maybe you have some ideas for the Dunefolk roster.
Sorry, but I am not familiar with Hornshack. I really couldn't give you a good answer.
Hornshark Island has some predefined units per faction. The only mainline faction missing a roster is the Dunefolk.
ghype

Post by ghype »

This is the current roster for Dunefolk as 1.15
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Hi. I would like to test play some of the proposed versions. Is there an add-on that I can install that has these units to facilitate testing? Default + Dunefolk still has the old Dunefolk (1.14.12). Or is it in experimental?

Particularly I am concerned with

Dunefolk + SB + Naga / Dust Devil and combinations thereof.

Or are they installed in mainline already such that I can just simulate them by using debug summons? Thank you very much!
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

ghype wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:19 pm This is the current roster for Dunefolk as 1.15
Nope, I mean the roster for Hornshark Island.

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... d.cfg#L437
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... d.cfg#L855

See also my post here:
Spixi wrote: May 5th, 2019, 11:19 pm loyal resilient dim Young Ogre
strong resilient quick Giant Rat
loyal intelligent Troll Whelp
quick resilient Mudcrawler
loyal fearless slow Fire Guardian (fearless is unnecessary here, because it is already neutral)
mechanical loyal slow Giant Scorpion

I am afraid, that this is a little bit too strong against Undead.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Computer_Player wrote: June 5th, 2020, 8:30 am Hi. I would like to test play some of the proposed versions. Is there an add-on that I can install that has these units to facilitate testing? Default + Dunefolk still has the old Dunefolk (1.14.12). Or is it in experimental?

Particularly I am concerned with

Dunefolk + SB + Naga / Dust Devil and combinations thereof.

Or are they installed in mainline already such that I can just simulate them by using debug summons? Thank you very much!
Most of the Balance changes are already implemented in the 1.15.x development versions. You can just download that and test it without further Add-Ons needed