let us rant about those nonsense

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

luyue

let us rant about those nonsense

Post by luyue »

I know winr.
but if winr is intended for fun.I think rant about nonsense is fun,too
first,undead can Be cured by mage of light...
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: let us rant about those nonsense

Post by Ravana »

In usual games they cant, poison is not applied to undead.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Certainly they can't be poisoned, but they can still be healed. Just think of that situation like it's a Necromancer of Light :P
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I don't see this as a problem. Certainly a white mage could stitch bones back together or strengthen the force holding a ghost together if they wanted to. They just don't because raising the undead is considered so evil. However, if the undead are fighting on the mage's own side, they might get over their prejudice and do it. It's not the poor undead slaves who are at fault for their existence after all.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Is there even any canon example in campaigns or wherever where a WM healed an Undead or even fought on the same side?
I don"t think for example a multiplayer 2v2 game is meant to make sense canon wise. Just think about it, two sides fighting on a symmetrical field, i don't believe those maps were ever meant to exist in canon the way they do. Let's not even get started on elves and their woses teaming up with undeads and their ghouls to kill some poor humans.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Krogen wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:30 pm Is there even any canon example in campaigns or wherever where a WM healed an Undead or even fought on the same side?
Yes.
Spoilers:
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Oh right.
Spoiler:
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> I don"t think for example a multiplayer 2v2 game is meant to make sense canon wise. Just think about it, two sides fighting on a
> symmetrical field, i don't believe those maps were ever meant to exist in canon the way they do.

I think this is more about game mechanics symmetry than sense per se.

I have no huge qualms, but on the other hand, from an atmosphere point of view, it is a bit weird to first define factions in the
way wesnoth did - and then change that, even if it is only on a scenario/campaign style. May be better to actually do it for
a specific campaign alone, then it may not be an issue. So actually, on the one hand I don't fully understand luyue; on the
other hand, I think the point is not completely unreasonable either.

> Certainly they can't be poisoned, but they can still be healed. Just think of that situation like it's a Necromancer
> of Light :P

Well... I always felt that healing was a strange concept for undead, even in e. g. warcraft 3. They sort of have their
death coil to cause damage BUt to also heal friendly/allied undead units. Life drain from oldschool dungeon and
dragons too ... I never quite liked that.

IMO it would be better if they could would only focus on damage. On the other hand, ghosts have life drain, which
I really love, so ...

I just don't think it fits thematically to have special necro-wannabe-healers running around and patching up
bones automatically. If that happens, then you can also ask "why do we need necros? If it is only about
animating bones, why can normal mages not do this magic or summon creatures that can do so?"

So to me this is more about theme/style really. That is if factions are maintained - we could also say that thinking
in terms of factions is a bit ... silly, too. :) But I think most people like factions, for one reason or another.
BraverPleinair

Post by BraverPleinair »

i just missed 7 70% attacks in a row in WCII, my biggest rant lol