Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nemaara
Developer

Re: Genesis 0.2.6 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by nemaara »

I think you're referring to the map that's a duplicate of the Caerleon upper levels? If so, you need to head to the same place where the Arcaneum was in the Caerleon scenario. That will get you inside.
Spoiler:
Escandiel

Post by Escandiel »

Filename Pic Attached.

Royal Palace Savegame names it :
Gns-1-Royal Palace Round 20

Spoiler:
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
Last edited by Escandiel on January 24th, 2019, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Like I said, it's better if you give me your save file so I can diagnose the issue. For now, try using the :fog and :shroud commands in debug mode.
Spoiler:
Escandiel

Post by Escandiel »

OMG it worked, thanks a lot, i love your camps :)
Escandiel

Post by Escandiel »

Now we need a sequel to after the storm, i want to know how it ends :) ty
Spoiler:
Tupu

Post by Tupu »

I can't reach the prison door of Ashen Hearts 1. Can anyone help me? Left and up have a door but it not working. Nowhere write anything like other map in this scenario. Mages have no problem, but the door is nowhere. :hmm:

Ps. I can't post picture and sorry about my english :roll:
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Tupu wrote: March 19th, 2019, 6:15 pm I can't reach the prison door of Ashen Hearts 1. Can anyone help me? Left and up have a door but it not working. Nowhere write anything like other map in this scenario. Mages have no problem, but the door is nowhere. :hmm:

Ps. I can't post picture and sorry about my english :roll:
Please give me a replay. Alternatively, trying using the :shroud and :fog commands in debug mode and see if that fixes your problems.
Tupu

Post by Tupu »

Thaks, fog command work well.
MyrddinEmrys

Post by MyrddinEmrys »

So, I've just finished Episode 1. I must say, it was quite awesome.
There were a couple of things I noticed, and unfortunately did not write down, so I'll probably forget some stuff, sorry about that :whistle:
  • I love the amount of character development and interaction in this campaign. While most characters from other campaigns are relatively flat in my opinion (with a few exceptions maybe), yours really appear to have proper personalities. I especially like Yumi, and also Talya, whose cheerful manner of speaking manages to get some color in the otherwise rather dark scenarios towards the end.
The campaign introduces quite a bunch of new abilites and weapon specials, which I think is fine because they a) help to illustrate how demons and faeries are different from the peoples we know from "current" Wesnoth and b) they help to convey a feeling of the Fae being special and stuff. However, there are some things I'm unsure about:
  • Some abilites and specials have the same name but do different things, or, better, do a thing to different extends, such as Aryels infuse ability, which is always called infuse but restores different amounts of health. Calling them infuse +3, infuse +6 and so on would make that easier to see. Same thing with e.g. guardian angel and abeyance.
  • I was sometimes unsure what exactly an ability did. For example, did "nearby" in the description of Yumi's clarity ability mean nearby as in guardian angel or nearby as in leadership? Saying "adjacent" instead would clarify this.
  • Relating to the point above, "a large amount of damage" in the description of Esther's obliterate is not very specific, and led me to not choosing that improvement due to the uncertainty whether it was worth it.
  • I didn't really feel like the 20% version of guardian angel was worth losing healing entirely (not even retaining heals +4 or something). However, I guess you have a reason for that.
  • I was also a little surprised by the heals +6 ability (why introduce a new ability where you already have two?), but I understand if that's necessary for balancing reasons.
Gameplay:
  • I'm somewhat sceptical about enemy leaders not dying when defeated if some event has not occured yet. On the one hand, it can be frustrating (You launch a sneaky assassination attempt, succeed– and the guy survives anyway?). On the other hand, it has the danger of being exploited as an XP farm: In Scenario 8: "Impetus", I managed to surround one enemy leader and kill him over and over again, getting several units to max level in the process. I don't know a better way to make sure all NPCs are still alive when you need them (except maybe by altering hit chances, but that can also be somewhat frustrating), but maybe giving the killing unit the XP only on the first kill attempt (and obviously also when the leader actually dies) solves the latter issue?
    This goes especially for the aforementioned scenario, where the objectives explicitly say you are supposed to defeat all enemy leaders.
  • In Scenario 14: "Iron Crescent", I managed to run past the area designated for the endlevel event, which does not include the two south-easternmost hexes of the map.
  • In Scenario 15: "Silent Night", all units recruitable by Yumi looking identical was a little confusing. Also, it took a while for me to notice that the manifestations were in fact different from those present in earlier scenarios.
  • By the point of Scenario 12: "Siege of Fort Helemoor", I had grown a bit tired of objectives saying basically just "Survive until something happens". This invokes a feeling of not being able to actually do anything. Don't get me wrong, I love the amount of story in this campaign, but these are cases where in my opinion it gets a little in the way of gameplay. Maybe just give the player pseudo-objectives they won't be able to finish before the event occurs, or set a temporary turn limit and say "Survive until end of turns" or something? I'm however not sure if these make sense in each case.
  • The riddles are great. Although there are some that I solved more by accident than by intellect, they are a refreshing variation from standard Wesnoth gameplay and it is a lot of fun figuring out what they are about.
Technical:
  • Is it intended that manifestations can be recruited into walls?
  • In some scenarios towards the end, I encountered a bug where Talya started the turn with only 5 of 7 movement.
Aesthetical (all minor stuff):
  • Directions in scenario objectives sometimes use left, right, up and down and sometimes west, east, north, and south.
  • Some later scenarios use an indoors time schedule with the standard indoors image (which is usually +0%, I think) but have a -25% lawful bonus. I'm however not sure if there exists a more adequate image at this time unless you want to use the cave image.
  • In Yumi's final conversation with Luna, Luna's sprite doesn't really look like she has eyes, even though from the context she should, if I understood it correctly.
So, I hope some of the things I mentioned are helpful. Looking forward to the next episode! :D
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Thanks for the comments. I've actually fixed several of the gameplay issues in the (unpublished) latest version, but that won't come out until I finish the first few scenarios of episode 2 (slow progress there...). Regarding the objectives in S12, people actually advised me to switch it to that earlier, so I'm not entirely sure what to do there. To begin with, I'm not the biggest fan of giving very descriptive objectives (if you couldn't tell already), so maybe the answer is for me to tell you (the player) to not pay much attention to it? :haha:

Some of the ability descriptions not being descriptive is intentional (see obliterate), others I can fix. Yes, manifestations can be recruited into walls, it lets you wall hop with Yumi. I don't know how to fix the bug with Talya right now. Aesthetics things like manifestations needing different sprites and such have to wait until I draw some more demon sprites.

About balancing, guardian angel is pretty worth it to me, but you only want one (or two maybe). You definitely want more healers than wardens, but having a mix in the long run is beneficial. In the immediate case, healing is probably better.

I'm trying to work on episode 2, but things keep coming up so I haven't had the energy to do toooo much on it. >_>
Mezarius

Post by Mezarius »

Hi,
I really enjoyed playing Episode 1 of Genesis, but unfortunately i have really quickly ran into a problem in chapter 2.

Every time the volcano event launches the screen begins to shake, but then the game crashes to desktop.
I have tried reinstalling both Genesis campaign and resources, but to no avail.

I have been playing on version 1.14.6.

I am sorry if my problem turns out to be trivial, but nevertheless I would be very grateful for any help.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Mezarius wrote: March 27th, 2019, 5:19 pm Hi,
I really enjoyed playing Episode 1 of Genesis, but unfortunately i have really quickly ran into a problem in chapter 2.

Every time the volcano event launches the screen begins to shake, but then the game crashes to desktop.
I have tried reinstalling both Genesis campaign and resources, but to no avail.

I have been playing on version 1.14.6.

I am sorry if my problem turns out to be trivial, but nevertheless I would be very grateful for any help.
I can run S2 just fine, so not sure why yours is crashing (could be some addon incompatibility). Can you provide a replay and tell me which addons you're using?
Mezarius

Post by Mezarius »

nemaara wrote: March 27th, 2019, 11:49 pm
I can run S2 just fine, so not sure why yours is crashing (could be some addon incompatibility). Can you provide a replay and tell me which addons you're using?
Currently no addons, exept for Genesis campaign and resources.
In these two files are a replay, and an autosave, both just before the volcano event (move the northmost unit one hex up to trigger it)

I guess I can also provide logs and caches, if they can help anyhow.

Oh, and also I should point out, that I was using different language option before, but switching it didn't fix the problem.
Attachments
Gns-1-Red Peaks-Autozapis8.gz
(41.62 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Gns-1-Red Peaks replay.gz
(23.49 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Well, your save doesn't crash for me. :hmm:

What operating system are you using? I guess the next step is for me to look at the log, if you want to provide that.
Mezarius

Post by Mezarius »

Windows 10, 64 bit operational system.

I also tried reinstalling BfW from Disc D to Disc C, but it still didn't work.

And I'm sorry that I'm such a hassle.
Attachments
wesnoth-20190329-194017-2640.log
(24.76 KiB) Downloaded 477 times