Text is cropped - ways to resolve?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
mikeanthony

Text is cropped - ways to resolve?

Post by mikeanthony »

Hello,

Wesnoth 1.14.5 - but I've had this issue in previous versions;
I'm running on a laptop screen which defaults full-screen to 1366 x 768 px

in that resolution, the text auto-sizes quite large, such that often, if a unit has more than 3 attacks, you can't see them all

e.g. see two screenshots below, comparing what is my fullscreen res with a very similar one, where suddenly the text has shrunk.

with larger text, not fully displayed:
this is what I see in my fullscreen res (1366 x 768) - text in the UI bar on the right is larger, and so does not fully display
this is what I see in my fullscreen res (1366 x 768) - text in the UI bar on the right is larger, and so does not fully display
very similar res (I think 1366 x 766), now text displays:
Here the res is 1366 x 766 - and text drops a size
Here the res is 1366 x 766 - and text drops a size
A few questions on this:

1. what's the formula for automatic pixel-sizing of displayed text in the UI? Is it based on width, height, or both? what's the granularity of text sizing options?
2. is it possible to override this and go up/down one text size? (i looked in options but couldn't find anything?)
3. is there any way to scroll down that info on the left, if it's cropped as in the first image?

Maybe I'm missing an obvious user-control for text scaling. if not, such a control might be useful for other users?

Best,
MS
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Text is cropped - ways to resolve?

Post by josteph »

I could be completely wrong here, I think this might be related to how themes work.

In the default theme https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... efault.cfg, you'll see [resolution] 1024x768 and [partialresolution] 1024x600 and 800x600 tag. I assume that as soon as either width or height are < 1024x768, it falls back to the next possible resolution. The partialresolution tags contain [change] tags that reduce the font sizes of some UI elements.

At the top of the file you'll also find some macros for the text size. I think if you change them things will "just work", you can just try it. You need to press F5 or restart wesnoth after you change the file. It'll be data/themes/default.cfg in the game data directory.

I don't think there's a way to scroll down but you could try adding a left sidebar instead. See https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=15. The version of that theme in that thread uses smaller font sizes than the default.