Wesnoth 0.8.11

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

HenrikOxUK wrote:Release notice posted on our new front-page: http://www.theopencd.org/

Feel free to notify us or submit stories/interviews etc. relating to Wesnoth (or other OCD apps) on the site.

Btw: we're preparing our next release for April 6th.
Nice! More publicity for Wesnoth!
Star Gazer wrote:Many thanks to Sith for his tireless work in bringing we Macphiles BfW so quickly, and his graciousness in the face of endless demands to deliver faster.
Agreed.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

** Post has been edited with more specific info. (I didn't really know what my girlfriend was doing to cause this problem before)

I've noticed a small annoyance while playing multiplayer hotseat games.

The gold and other info at the top of the screen does not update until the mouse is moved.

I was Player 1 and my girlfriend was player 3. We were on a team and players 2 and 4 were AI-controlled on the other team.

After I end my turn, the status bar continues showing my info through player 2's turn and then on player 3's turn my info is still showing until the mouse is moved. This can be a problem when using the keyboard shortcut to open the recruit screen at the start of the turn. Moving the mouse when the recruit box is showing will not update the display, so you don't see your gold total updated until after you purchase something.

Once it was showing 53 gold (my total) and Debi bought something for 20 gold and then the total said something like 8 gold afterwards because it finally updated to show her new total.

This can be confusing when deciding what to purchase at the beginning of the turn.

I am not sure if this happened in previous versions of the game. I first noticed it today.
Last edited by rogue on February 25th, 2005, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
<rcarello>
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

rogue wrote: I am not sure if this happened in previous versions of the game. I first noticed it today.
Hmm.....I don't think it did...we'll have to look into it. Could you please file a bug report at http://bugs.wesnoth.org ? Or better yet, file a patch fixing it ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

Dave wrote:Could you please file a bug report at http://bugs.wesnoth.org ? Or better yet, file a patch fixing it ;)
Sure, one or the other...
<rcarello>
tralese

Post by tralese »

scott wrote:Not really. The campaign server uses a custom protocol that you can't access through http or ftp. You can ask a campaign writer to make it available via http, but the hassle of doing so is why we all moved to the in-game server. You can find who the campaign writer is on the wiki or campaign forum. Can I ask why?
First of all, I realize I forgot to thank the developers for the amazing work they did with this game. I absolutely love the simplicity of the game, yet the complexity of the strategy.

Anyway, to answer the why above, it happens that I have a firewall installed that seems to prevent me from doing a direct download through the game. I'm able to download stuff, but somehow can't download campaigns.
Hence the reason for me asking if it's possible to do direct downloads that can be patched into the game.
Tralese.
"Work before you play, BUT PLAY!"
scott

Post by scott »

you neeed to find out what port it uses and ask for it to be opened. I, however, don't know the answer.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
mezz

Re: Wesnoth 0.8.11

Post by mezz »

isaac wrote:Debian GNU/Linux, Mandrakelinux, Mac OS X, BeOS and Microsoft Windows packagers have been informed.
If you guys are going to stop update in freshmeat, then can you please add email in your list for info me when you release a newer version? I always keep in track with Wesnoth by get email from freshmeat when you update version, but last recently two or three versions you guys are lacking update in freshmeat.

I am maintainer for Wesnoth in FreeBSD ports tree and my email is mezz_at_FreeBSD.org .
eek2

Post by eek2 »

I'm not quite clear on whether updating from 0.8.10 will break my saved games in HttT. The changelog says that mermen have been replaced with the new mermen, and I have some in my armies... Do you think this will cause problems?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

No, it won't. Your mermen will remain, though they will be the "old" mermen, sadly. I suppose that you could hand-update your save-files to use the new Mermen... but I believe that saves are now compressed into binary WML.

Oh well.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
silene

Post by silene »

Sangel wrote:but I believe that saves are now compressed into binary WML.
Not yet. And even when they are, uncompressed savefiles will still be usable, and compressed savefiles can be uncompressed.
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

mezz wrote:If you guys are going to stop update in freshmeat, then can you please add email in your list for info me when you release a newer version? I always keep in track with Wesnoth by get email from freshmeat when you update version, but last recently two or three versions you guys are lacking update in freshmeat.
AFAIK, wesnoth has been updated in freshmeat till now. Last update is 0.8.10 though, why hasn't it been updated to 0.8.11?
mezz wrote: I am maintainer for Wesnoth in FreeBSD ports tree and my email is mezz_at_FreeBSD.org .
And will we see a port for DragonFlyBSD anytime soon mezz? :twisted:
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Another release! :)

I just downloaded this... almost installed already.

Only one question: Why do the game and the map editor still use old images (icons, whatever you call them) even though the images in HttT were updated?
mezz

Post by mezz »

ziberpunk wrote:
mezz wrote:If you guys are going to stop update in freshmeat, then can you please add email in your list for info me when you release a newer version? I always keep in track with Wesnoth by get email from freshmeat when you update version, but last recently two or three versions you guys are lacking update in freshmeat.
AFAIK, wesnoth has been updated in freshmeat till now. Last update is 0.8.10 though, why hasn't it been updated to 0.8.11?
Right, but the 8.10 was update late. It's starting to get off track now.
ziberpunk wrote:
mezz wrote: I am maintainer for Wesnoth in FreeBSD ports tree and my email is mezz_at_FreeBSD.org .
And will we see a port for DragonFlyBSD anytime soon mezz? :twisted:
I don't have another machine for DragonFly BSD. I think it might be more chance that it will compile fine in DragonFly if you grab it from FreeBSD ports. Of course, I might be wrong on this. :P
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Ankka wrote: Only one question: Why do the game and the map editor still use old images (icons, whatever you call them) even though the images in HttT were updated?
If you mean the MacOS X version the reason is simple. Combine all those calls for a MacOS X build immediately with the possibility that someone had offered to make an proper icon and I wasn't going to delay the build release for the sake of tweaking the icons :)

Currently time to tweak (let alone) Wesnoth is rare and kicking off the compilation then letting it compile in the background seemed a better use of time :)
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Sithrandel wrote:
Ankka wrote: Only one question: Why do the game and the map editor still use old images (icons, whatever you call them) even though the images in HttT were updated?
If you mean the MacOS X version the reason is simple. Combine all those calls for a MacOS X build immediately with the possibility that someone had offered to make an proper icon and I wasn't going to delay the build release for the sake of tweaking the icons :)

Currently time to tweak (let alone) Wesnoth is rare and kicking off the compilation then letting it compile in the background seemed a better use of time :)
That explains it. :) Please understand I am not complaining, I really have no right as I'm doing nothing towards making this game better (which is hard, it is so good) nor helping in any way. Just playing the game. Which is great. :D
I mean the game, not that I'm doing nothing for it..

Hmm... what logo do other platforms use, then?

I know the MacOS logo is propably the hardest, as it has to be good-looking when small and big. I mean, not too complicated to be small and not too simple to look stupid when big.